ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member fancying a clio 200

350z
Hi everyone! Thought I'd join up here as I'm currently considering a clio 200.

I had a quick look at a full fat model in metallic blue on a 10 plate last weekend and really liked it.

i've read all the great reviews and been a fan of all the renaultsport models from the start.

i was wanting any owners experiences of the 200 really. I must admit the gearbox failures worry me a bit. Have these been blown out of proportion or is it a common fault? I realise you tend to hear more about people's negative experiences than positive on forums!

Is the poor running and reluctant gear change in cold weather a common issue?

Also is mid thirties mpg achievable when just general A-B driving? I've owned a 350z for the last 4 years so I'm not a stranger to low mpg but it would be nice to have something a bit less thirsty. Obviously I expect lower when driving it properly. On a decent run sticking to speed limits the 350z can do 30mpg plus, generally is low to mid 20's though and super unleaded only.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice! Nick

Welcome nick! You can read into the horror story's of gearbox failure as much as you want (mine had to be changed out of warranty) but then again many people's 200's are running free from trouble. On my 200 very occasionally you get the 'Clio kangaroo'ing' but that is quite rare and gear changes aren't that bad when cold tbh. As for mpg I mainly do stop/start traffic an average 27-29mpg.
Hope this helps a little. Gary

350z
Welcome nick! You can read into the horror story's of gearbox failure as much as you want (mine had to be changed out of warranty) but then again many people's 200's are running free from trouble. On my 200 very occasionally you get the 'Clio kangaroo'ing' but that is quite rare and gear changes aren't that bad when cold tbh. As for mpg I mainly do stop/start traffic an average 27-29mpg.
Hope this helps a little. Gary

Yes that's helpful! I know most cars have common problems and they do ususally get blown out of proportion on the internet. I believe the clio 172/182 had weak gearboxes as well but there's still plenty of them on the road after all these years.

27-29 isn't too bad for stop start driving. Main reason I was a bit concerned about mpg is that my girlfriend would be using it too and she'd probably not be too impressed with mid 20's! (She never drives the 350z but knows it likes a drink)

she'll be used to kangarooing though, I think her grande punto does it too!

i will have to give her lessons on how to parallel park without kerbing mind.

Thanks

350z
Oh and I forgot to add that my 350z's gear change can be quite reluctant when it's cold too. Just need to take your time and not rush it! It's only for first five minutes at most though. My mates 996 c4s is exactly same if not worse so it's obviously quite a common thing.

You sound like you know these issues well so I would not worry mate. Mine crunches into 2nd occasionally when cold but once warm it's all good. Have you driven one yet? Only advice I could give is, make sure you thoroughly check the gearbox hasn't got any crunches when you test drive it. Do a search on here and there will be other threads on people advising on what to look out for when buying one of these. I made the mistake of just buying without reading on here first lol.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I don't enjoy driving mine in traffic very much, my partners polo is much more relaxed but then it's a completely different car in purpose terms.

Fuel economy doesn't bother me, I get over 320 to a tank on a bad to average run which is fine to me.

I would say that the cup suspension is very good, but the UK roads mean that you get pummeled! When you've had a bad day the last thing you want is to be shaken to death. But depends on what you plan to use it for & what the roads you'll use it on are like.

Mine never kangaroos, they only really do it if you don't let them run for a moment before setting off or try & give them stick before they're warmed up. I usually run mine up for a minute & it's fine after that.

350z
You sound like you know these issues well so I would not worry mate. Mine crunches into 2nd occasionally when cold but once warm it's all good. Have you driven one yet? Only advice I could give is, make sure you thoroughly check the gearbox hasn't got any crunches when you test drive it. Do a search on here and there will be other threads on people advising on what to look out for when buying one of these. I made the mistake of just buying without reading on here first lol.

Not test driven one yet, hopefully soon. Its a shame its getting warmer in a way because any poor running or shifting in cold will go unnoticed most likely. The one I looked at had 4 previous owners which seemed a lot for a 10 plate. Worried that each owner has moved it on as its a bit of a lemon!

I will pay a lot of attention to the gearbox when I do test one though.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Not test driven one yet, hopefully soon. Its a shame its getting warmer in a way because any poor running or shifting in cold will go unnoticed most likely. The one I looked at had 4 previous owners which seemed a lot for a 10 plate. Worried that each owner has moved it on as its a bit of a lemon!

get the clutch checked as well nick, change the oil, engine and gearbox and drive it like you stole it, the 200s are great fun.
IMAG0021-2.jpg

smith200

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
200s are brilliant as long as you warm them up as said previously by other members you should be fine. If you buy one private be sure to take a mechanic with you to check it over as i made that mistake and i now need a new clutch etc. Ive seen 28mpg motorway driving hope this helps

I would be sceptical about the 4 owners one for a 10 plate, but I have been wrong. Good luck and get back to us when you've settled on one. Gary

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
200s are brilliant as long as you warm them up as said previously by other members you should be fine. If you buy one private be sure to take a mechanic with you to check it over as i made that mistake and i now need a new clutch etc. Ive seen 28mpg motorway driving hope this helps

If I reset my trip I can get 38 out on a sensile motorway run. But I don't take much notice of the MPG in all honesty, don't think it's all that accurate.

350z

That should be fine, I always warm my cars up properly, like to treat them well! Know a few mechanics too.

350z
If I reset my trip I can get 38 out on a sensile motorway run. But I don't take much notice of the MPG in all honesty, don't think it's all that accurate.

38 is quite impressive. Most I've ever seen on 350z was 33 but it generally sits around 25-27mpg overall. I don't check it much though.

350z
I would be sceptical about the 4 owners one for a 10 plate, but I have been wrong. Good luck and get back to us when you've settled on one. Gary

Yeah I think I'll give that one a miss! Not many available within a 100mile radius of me. Keeping a lookout though!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
They are known not to be great on fuel, but tbh they aren't as bad as people make them sound. If I do a month of journeys to work in my clio compared to my birds 1.2 polo, I'd still do the same amount of tanks, just the needle is a bit further down.

Doesn't make enough difference for me to cry about it.

350z
They are known not to be great on fuel, but tbh they aren't as bad as people make them sound. If I do a month of journeys to work in my clio compared to my birds 1.2 polo, I'd still do the same amount of tanks, just the needle is a bit further down.

Doesn't make enough difference for me to cry about it.

That sounds alright to me, I can generally squeeze decent mpg out of cars just driving normally. When I'm having fun though it goes out the window!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds alright to me, I can generally squeeze decent mpg out of cars just driving normally. When I'm having fun though it goes out the window!

I think many just compare the mpg to the 1*2's which in fairness it is worse than. But it's never bothered me.