ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Daily Motor Purchased!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not interested in numbers. I've owned both cars and I'm going off my own experiences. Although those are probably based on book power figures, which we know Clio's normally never get anywere near.

I too once thought my 182 was the fastest thing on the planet. You realise they aren't. Like I said, lap times aside, they aren't even in the same league.

Edit: although while I'm here, my original performance comparison was in a straight. The literature you have just posted states 2.5 seconds quicker to 100. Sizeable amount. As I said, not really interested in numbers.

Last edited:
  RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I've had 9 RS Clio's, none of them were quicker than my R32 in the real world. On track, well that's a different matter.

Infact, my X5 would upset a 1*2 off the lights. (No joke)

Cup In bits
I'm not an 18 year McDonald's regular either that does the traffic light grand prix nightly. Having been around/driven both, the Golfs ain't all that. Different strokes for different folks.....

Its common knowledge on here Clio's will do 14-15's quarters.

Cup In bits
I'm not an 18 year McDonald's regular either that does the traffic light grand prix nightly. Having been around/driven both, the Golfs ain't all that. Different strokes for different folks.....

Its common knowledge on here Clio's will do 14-15's quarters.

edit: What's the real world Gaz? I'm not speaking about track here either in my argument.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
In all seriousness, can you clarify the point you are making? Are you saying that a 1*2 is a better car than an R32?

I apologise to the OP, gone hugely off topic. If anything I'm just jealous you've got an R and I've not.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Real world = overtaking, passengers, motorway.. As I've said, I've had a few R32's and 9 RS Clio's.. I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, who the f**k in their right mind would want to do a quarter mile drag race in their Clio? They're s**t in a straight line.

Cup In bits
In all seriousness, can you clarify the point you are making? Are you saying that a 1*2 is a better car than an R32?

I apologise to the OP, gone hugely off topic. If anything I'm just jealous you've got an R and I've not.

No read back a few posts and you'll see that.

Real world = overtaking, passengers, motorway.. As I've said, I've had a few R32's and 9 RS Clio's.. I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, who the f**k in their right mind would want to do a quarter mile drag race in their Clio? They're s**t in a straight line.

Calm down fat boy ;) its a comparison as RDH referenced 100mph times (1/4 mile terminal times)

Gaz they feel slow but give me any other N/A 2 litre car that does a 14's 1/4 mile, there ain't a lot.

Anyway its gotten way off topic, i'm out.

Btw MG Cup, I'm not an 18yo boy racer either. I'm 31 with a family etc.

You know that wasn't for you, I know you , RDH doesn't know me from the next guy.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
I know people in here have owned r32s and 1*2s

However i feel that with r32s everyone just see 3.2 "V6"
and think jesus its probably the biggest engined hatches on the market it must be flying

then you get people who dont drive clios and think, WOW what a POS that's a neds motor haha

All in all the clio has a higher bhp/tonne so its not to be unexpected
One of th ebest things about the R is that this is easily changed

re-map from stock and you are over 300bhp

stage 2+ and you are up at 360-380 ish

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What you mean fake 4 wheel drive? Its still a split between the wheels if its anything like the old S3's and handle worse than a FWD or RWD too. Same with most vag quatro's infact.

Well it works.. Launches my TT down the road faster than any standard clio..;)

But yeah, it is faux by 4. Cant wait for winter..

mk 5 Golf and they're not getting any lighter 161bhp per ton

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_golf_mk_v_r32.html

Clio 182, the heaviest of all Clios 165bhp per ton

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/renault_clio_182_trophy.html

S3 that was referenced 156bhp per ton.

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/audi_s3_8l_2001.html

Show any of the three a sequence of straights and corners and what would come off best? who has the long nose now.

Unlike Renaults, most Audis put out the power they're described as (was 225 in my case, both MAF figures when logging and a reliable RR showed bang on this figure), so the above are likely to be miles out. Coupled with the fact mine isn't standard, my nose is still the right length, in terms of Clios showing up my car.

If we are using that site as gospel, I'm also fairly certain we're comparing the car in the OP, the Golf R...

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_golf_r.html

Golf R, 185 bhp per tonne...

Last edited:
Well it works.. Launches my TT down the road faster than any standard clio..;)

But yeah, it is faux by 4. Cant wait for winter..

I admit, my S3 understeers like an oil tanker. But a £90 mod (R32 ARB, thicker) cures that back to neutrality... £90 doesn't buy a Clio Quattro or a turbo.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I admit, my S3 understeers like an oil tanker. But a £90 mod (R32 ARB, thicker) cures that back to neutrality... £90 doesn't buy a Clio Quattro or a turbo.

Yeah If I keep mine I will be going for R32 ARB's or H&R. For now its just the Scandinavian flick..lol

Yeah If I keep mine I will be going for R32 ARB's or H&R. For now its just the Scandinavian flick..lol

Yet to do mine, but for the sake of a ton, I'll take it to Ants and fit it, probably next time I see him. Tempted by H&Rs but then I'm doing what I said I wouldn't with this car, i.e. modding it out of a large pool of potential buyers...

Anyway, way off topic, OP, apologies.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
No read back a few posts and you'll see that.

Calm down fat boy ;) its a comparison as RDH referenced 100mph times (1/4 mile terminal times)

Gaz they feel slow but give me any other N/A 2 litre car that does a 14's 1/4 mile, there ain't a lot.

Anyway its gotten way off topic, i'm out.

You know that wasn't for you, I know you , RDH doesn't know me from the next guy.
I don't know you??

Nippy white cup
Spend the same amount on the Golf as you have one cams for the Clio and watch it destroy 95% of cars that come near it.

Lol my favourite car argument " Spend the 20k the golf cost on the clio blah blah"

But at the end of the day the Golf is better in every aspect and as said a few hundread quid on a remap and it will be even better!

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
similarly you could have been telling him to re-read the comment that he quoted.

hence the requirement for clarification

Cup In bits
hiding his identity so people forget about his knockhill video LOL

No....f**k em, I'll do what I want lol. I'm not going to listen to some hyped up do gooder's that s**t roses and better humanity on a daily basis. Must be hard being perfect all the time.

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
No....f**k em, I'll do what I want lol. I'm not going to listen to some hyped up do gooder's that s**t roses and better humanity on a daily basis. Must be hard being perfect all the time.

Christ, you've really got a rocket up your arse about your Clio haven't you?

Cup In bits
Christ, you've really got a rocket up your arse about your Clio haven't you?

I'm an angry Scotsman and I swear a lot.... so what, its how we communicate. That last comment wasn't directed at you or this thread.