ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch but have a judder pulling off

M2 Comp
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice here. My Trophy had done 110k on the original clutch so I decided to have it changed, it wasn’t slipping or anything, but as you can imagine the pedal feel wasn’t great.

Having driven several 1*2’s following a clutch change I was expecting a nice light pedal and for it to pull away just by lifting the clutch slightly. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case, it has a slight judder pulling away and you need to ride the clutch to get it moving otherwise it feels like it might stall. Once the wheels are moving the gear changes are absolutely fine.

I couldn’t remember how it was before the clutch change. As mentioned the pedal feel wasn’t great. For that reason I didn’t want to push the garage that did the work to start stripping it down again (I have taken my cars there for years and they have always looked after me).

So I’m just after some advice as to possible causes. I’ll do the work myself this time, which I wished I wish I’d done the first time around, but couldn’t be bothered at the time / just wanted to drive it, lol. The garage that did the work mentioned the flywheel and that it may need skimming? Could it just be the cable?

Any pointers / advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

dan's cast offs.
very much doubt it would need refacing? either glazed flywheel of guide tube for the bearing not been cleaned up.

M2 Comp
Fake Valeo clutch from EPC?

Not sure where clutch was from tbh mate. Though I do remember them mentioning having difficulty sourcing a Valeo unit which I found strange. When I strip it down I might as well put a new clutch on anyway for what they cost and it rules out any issues with it.

dan's cast offs.
as long as it isn't something like a national or transmech clutch i'd say glazed flywheel then.

M2 Comp
as long as it isn't something like a national or transmech clutch i'd say glazed flywheel then.

Yeah I saw the box it was definitely Valeo, I trust the garage tbh and don’t think for a second they would fit anything other than a decent brand.

Good excuse for lightened flywheel?

M2 Comp
any excuse for one, even if it's just for the sound when you start the car ?

Sounds like a plan then. Any negatives to fitting one?

What clutches are people fitting these days? Heard of some issues with Valeo recently. LuK any good?

dan's cast offs.
valeo, luk, sachs all ok.

no real negatives to the flywheel, you get the odd time when you will stall and look a bit daft but nothing bad.

Westfield, 182, 200
I fitted a Valeo clutch kit to the wife's 182 and now get a judder when moving off (careful choice of words) in first gear.
I don't get the issue in reverse.
It seems better if you rev the engine and slip the clutch and is fine between gears.
I changed the clutch cable and greased the pedal pivot which made the action smoother, but still have judder.
Wondered if it was an engine mount.

M2 Comp
valeo, luk, sachs all ok.

no real negatives to the flywheel, you get the odd time when you will stall and look a bit daft but nothing bad.

Good to know, cheers. If I didn't want to go down the route of a lightened flywheel, do you know of any OEM spec options? Doesn't appear to be a common problem from searching previous threads...

There are 10 posts and nobody has made a joke about Tom juddering when pulling off?

Must be the heat.

Lol, not the best choice of words on my part!!

I fitted a Valeo clutch kit to the wife's 182 and now get a judder when moving off (careful choice of words) in first gear.
I don't get the issue in reverse.
It seems better if you rev the engine and slip the clutch and is fine between gears.
I changed the clutch cable and greased the pedal pivot which made the action smoother, but still have judder.
Wondered if it was an engine mount.

Sounds exactly like the problem I have. I am not sure how mine is in reverse, will give it a try tonight and report back. Engine mounts are worth checking but I replaced mine not that long ago so not sure it will be the case with mine.

M2 Comp
So just thought I’d update this as I finally had the time (motivation) to take a look at it. As mentioned, I had some vibratechnic engine and gearbox mounts to fit, which I fitted today and in doing so noticed a number of loose bolts (some were not even hand tight). Mounts fitted and all bolts now torqued to spec, and the judder has now completely gone. A bit disappointed that the garage that did the work left it like this. I don’t know if I mentioned earlier but I also broke down not long after having it done and this was traced to a loose bolt on the earth strap.

Anyway, just thought I’d update this thread in case anybody comes across it in the future with a similar issue.

Civic type r fk8
So just thought I’d update this as I finally had the time (motivation) to take a look at it. As mentioned, I had some vibratechnic engine and gearbox mounts to fit, which I fitted today and in doing so noticed a number of loose bolts (some were not even hand tight). Mounts fitted and all bolts now torqued to spec, and the judder has now completely gone. A bit disappointed that the garage that did the work left it like this. I don’t know if I mentioned earlier but I also broke down not long after having it done and this was traced to a loose bolt on the earth strap.

Anyway, just thought I’d update this thread in case anybody comes across it in the future with a similar issue.
Were the gearbox bolts loose or the mount bolts loose ?