ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new battery but still a problem

i have an 04 182. No probz then all of a sudden battery light comes on followed shortly by the rest...I pulled over, turned it off and waited a few mins for a re-start but it wouldnt even turn over. I had to bump it to get it home. This morning the battery read 11.2 volts.....not enough to start it. I purchased a new battery (12.6v on meter....drops to 10v for start) and it started easy enough but all is not good......with the car running (battery light and stop are still illuminated) the voltmeter only registers 11.6v whereas I think it should be in the 13`s. The car seems gutless and the only thing I can think of is the alternator. All leads are solid and I have had a god route round but need some ideas please. I should of said that if you rev it the battery and stop lights on the dash go out but as the revs drop they re-appear.

172 ph1
check and see if all the wires to the alternator are running ok mate as ive had this before but on an astra might save yourself alot of time and effort if its just a wire came off or summit!

Fiesta ST-3
You need to get the volt meter on the feed from the alt. Does sound like the alt though if its a brand new battery.

Laguna sport tourer
could be the exciter cable that goes to the battery light the alternator won't charge below about 2000 rpm if this is off

Mk5 golf gti
get the car running with the rear screen heater and fans etc etc on
and see if the voltage drops then starts to go back up

if it doesnt go back up its the alternator

check all wires are connected up and none have come lose which is common

Iceburg 172FF
guys is there likely to be any wire that proves to be more a problem than the rest? im going to get alternator checked in morning as its just happened now but id rather have a look first than make fool off meself

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
alternator should read 14.4 volts when running give or take. underload should be high 13s low 14s