ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new alloys :)

Sport Clio 182 cup
had new alloy's put on Reggie this morning... check em out :)

IMG_0938_zps4d365fae.jpg

IMG_0936_zps231a778f.jpg

IMG_0937_zpsdcd3a74f.jpg

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
Agreed, I'd have stuck with 16's personally.

How are you finding the tyres? They're my next purchase.

Sport Clio 182 cup
Why are 17's a bad move?
it don't make the car handle any different.. If anything a bit better but that could b down to the tyres because before my car was awful at handling a Courner and speed but the few times I chucked it round a bend on my way home it handled okay... The only thing it noticeable changes is it makes the ride alot harder, you feel every bump!!

Didnt fit any spacers I dont think.. I didn't fit them myself tho I got them done by my friend :) xx

S4 Avant
17s are very expensive when it comes to tyres. 16s are a lot less and 15s even less so.

17s won't do the handling any favours, compared to 15s or 16s, and 17s don't fit particularly well. I bought my car with the exact same wheels 5 years ago, and binned them off straight away because they rubbed everywhere and were awful.

PB Clio 172
17s are very expensive when it comes to tyres. 16s are a lot less and 15s even less so.

17s won't do the handling any favours, compared to 15s or 16s, and 17s don't fit particularly well. I bought my car with the exact same wheels 5 years ago, and binned them off straight away because they rubbed everywhere and were awful.

Err 17 and 16's tyre prices are like a few pounds difference you wont notice. I got my tyres £63 a corner last year its hardly expensive!!

IMO 17's handle fine on the road I have had 17's on my Clio for nearly 3 years. Yes if you do track days etc then get some smaller ones but for road- no problems! and also they do not rub at all if you have the correct offset its fine. I can have a car full and my 17's do not rub.

Don't listen to everything you read in a thread...... ie above

Err 17 and 16's tyre prices are like a few pounds difference you wont notice. I got my tyres £63 a corner last year its hardly expensive!!

IMO 17's handle fine on the road I have had 17's on my Clio for nearly 3 years. Yes if you do track days etc then get some smaller ones but for road- no problems! and also they do not rub at all if you have the correct offset its fine. I can have a car full and my 17's do not rub.

​+1

work for BMW
As said already 17s = more expensive tyres plus car will handle worse than 15/16s :)

Plus they just look too big on the car

182 Cup ITB
Never understood the handling thing. If the offset and rolling circumference are the same and the tyre width is the same how will it handle differently?

PB Clio 172
As said already 17s = more expensive tyres plus car will handle worse than 15/16s :)

Plus they just look too big on the car

have you driven a 1*2 on 17's??

more expensive tyres ? what are you comparing to against ? against the standard 16's? a few pounds diference

Last edited:
  S4 Avant

Bullshit. 17s on a Clio give a horrible crashy ride. I guarantee if you try chucking it round a corner they'll rub on the front bumper brackets regardless of offset. I've been there and done it long before you.

WRX
Never understood the handling thing. If the offset and rolling circumference are the same and the tyre width is the same how will it handle differently?
Never driven one on 17s so can't say but the tyre's profile will be a different size.

work for BMW
plympounds 9615264 said:
have you driven a 1*2 on 17's??

more expensive tyres ? what are you comparing to against ? against the standard 16's? a few pounds diference

Okay a few pounds different but you can't argue they don't look too big on a Clio. Every chav Clio on eBay uses 17s and they look ridiculous

182 Cup ITB
Never driven one on 17s so can't say but the tyre's profile will be a different size.

Sure, they'll be 40 instead of 45 so you'll feel the bumps a bit more but I just don't see how it's going to affect handling. Grip won't be affected, so..? Not that I'd have 17s on mine, just wondering.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Oh dear.

To be fair anyone who puts 17's on deserves all the issues they're gonna get. Any minute of research would have shown up it's just a bad idea. Plus it makes the brakes look pathetic.

PB Clio 172
Its makes no difference on how it handles against standad 16's reason I know is I have driven both and have 17's on atm. I use 40 profile and yes its a tad hard on suspension but feels the same as a lowered 200 IMO

As for the comment about they must rub? They don't ! As already stated if they do you have the incorrect offset or tyre size!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Do you honestly find it to feel as nimble though? Go out back to back in yours, then one with some 15" oz f1's and I bet you'd be amazed. It just loses a lot of that point and go feeling the Clio's have.

PB Clio 172
I am not saying 15's are not better, I am saying and trying to help out the op that 17's are ok esp for the road! And they don't have all these so called rubbing problems or anything like that! I saved £450 sticking with my 17's as I didn't need to buy 4 new tyresI bet 15's are great for track yes! Never said they weren't !

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I like the wheels but not the size, 15s make the car feel go kart like.:)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Do you honestly find it to feel as nimble though? Go out back to back in yours, then one with some 15" oz f1's and I bet you'd be amazed. It just loses a lot of that point and go feeling the Clio's have.

I noticed that in my 1.2, yeah its not quick to start with i know. But when i had my 172 sport alloys in for a refurb i had 14" steelies on and damn i could feel the cars acceleration be a lot quicker :| but the handling on my 16" were much better due to the wheels being wider and the tyres being much better :)

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I bought a Cup with 17" TSW alloys fitted, when I swapped to 15" F1's the handling was improved and the car felt much more nimble. 17's generally look too big on a Clio IMO.