ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Owner! (problems obviously!)

Hey guys I've been a member on here for years but never actually posted! Yesterday I got a 2002 172. Lovely little car but I have a couple of problems. I have had a look around and they seem fairly common apart from the main problem.

When turning right at around 30mph (quite hard, most likely round a roundabout) the car will suddenly feel like it grips and just yanks you over towards the roundabout, its really quite scarey!

HUGE amounts of torque steer under heave acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.

Steering wheel does not sit straight. Tracking?

I get a loud CLUNK when turning right but not all the time and its only once. Top mounts?

Any help would be great. Car has FSH from new, new front wishbones, new driveshafts.

Thanks
Sam

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Very hard to diagnose over the interwebz but,

Is it only when you turn right?
Either dont nail it in first or check what tyres you have etc
When you say clunk, like a clang or....
Steering wheel not straight could be tyre pressures, tracking etc.

My advice take it too someone who you trust to give it a once over.

Lots of Alfas
Get it up on ramps, or park on edge of curb, (not jacked up) while someone is rocking steering wheel left and right, get under with torch and check for play in inner, outer track rod ends, worn ball joints. If the whole steering rack is moving excessively side to side the rack mounts will need replacing too.

Thanks for the welcome and for your replies. Just had the tracking done, it was so far out the machine couldn't read it. Anyway, no more torque steer now so thats one problem solved! The noise is more like a 'bang' to be honest. I thought it was only doing it when turning right, but no, its doing it when turning left aswel.

If I drive over a small bump with the passenger side wheel, it goes BANG!

I will jack it up and try what you said tomorrow but reading about ball joints... it definitely sounds like the symptoms I have.