ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 owner... few slight problems :(

Hey guys..

Just bought the misses a black 04 172 and honestly i love driving it.. Ive owned some pretty quick cars but this is by far one of the most fun!!

Anyway, i have a few problems that im sure some of you aficianados can help with....

Firslty, my radio wont hold its code.. I have to put it in everytime i start it. Im guessing its had an aftermarket radio in at some point as it has a new code (different from the book) plus the controlls by the steering wheel dosent work.

Secondly, the traction controll button dosent work.. Once pressed, it dosent bring the light on to say its disengaged. Although the wheels spin like the ESP is actually off... So im guessing thats broke.

Third and less minor thing is, the steering wheel has melted / worn.. Any cheap ways to make it look less tatty without a re-trim??

Also, did i get a good enough buy?...

Its a 2004 black 172, 40k, FSH belts etc done £2850..

Thanks in advance..

SJ

I thought it was an ok price.. 12months MOT, 6 months tax, new tyres, 3 months warranty etc..

Just need to sort these little niggles out! I dont think the ESP will be covered under the warranty :(

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate sounds like a reasonable deal to me. I think the radio issue sounds like you have lost the permenent live, check the fuses mate, there are 2 for the radio, one permanent live and the other for ignition live. The steering wheel issue is pretty common, there are few people on here retrim them for not bad money if you try a search.

Cant remember the name of the place (it was an independant garage) they were done at 27k (4 years old in 2008)

I have no reciepts to prove it though.. Might be worth me giving them a ring to find out if they have any..

Other than that the cars mint! It has by far the cleanest bodywork / interior ive seen for an 04, thats what attracted me to it..

Just ashame about the radio and the ESP..

'' check the fuses mate, there are 2 for the radio, one permanent live and the other for ignition live. ''

Im guessing they're located next to the steering wheel in the dash? Or are they underbonnet?

Listerine & Poledo
Steering wheels will melt, I just got a retrimed one of of Mikey18 (IIRC) on here, top work done and having some grade of actual leather on the wheel is much, much better than the faux-laetehr plasticine stuff they used OEM

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Are you sure it just no the dash light thats blown? As TC would be on by default so wheels shouldnt spin much...

Accord 2.4
Also, did i get a good enough buy?...

Its a 2004 black 172, 40k, FSH belts etc done £2850..

I would say about right, i paid 2800 for mine (04 172) but silver, 52K FSH, mine had no proof of belts changed either so I got them done for peace of mind

Right guys, a few updates..

The radio now works properly (it had an aftermarket system in before and still had a secondary harness attached so just removed it :) so holds the code etc..)

It's been on a friends Snap On diagnostic machine and came up with no faults... Which is good but doesn't explain why the ESP is still not working.. The wheels spin up like mad (as if it was turned off) Still

On a more positive note, I rang the chaps who changed the belts who may have the original receipt on their system so gunna get them to send it over :) RESULT!

Does anyone no where the radio steering wheel volume controlls plug into? As this is still not working.. I'm guessing it runs from the comtroller straight to the head unit and plugs in?

Anyone any more ideas on the ESP problem??

Thanks all for your input so far :)

SJ

Audi TT 225
wheel.jpg

Had a few messages so just a quick update about what I did with the steering wheel

First up I got myself a cheap knackered steering wheel from on here to experiment with. It was melted in the usual way and the thumb grips were dead so I literally pulled these off. I found the fiberglass thumb grips on here also, not sure who made them though. The seller didn't either.
I bought myself some of this stuff http://furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Prep.php to strip the existing leather dye (this is what runs/melts on the wheel), this is really messy so have some gloves and lots of newspaper on standby!
Eventually you will end up with a much smoother looking steering wheel, any areas that are still raised you will need to sand. I probably sanded mine a bit too much and lost the leather effect on the top. Ah well, still looks loads better IMO.
It will currently look pretty naff so we need to dye it, the stuff i used is here http://www.dynamixdyes.com/buy_dyes.php (edit, new link http://www.dynamixdyes.com/car-leather-dyes-99-c.asp) , 65ml is plenty (edit, they now do 30ml which will be enough easily), still have a load left from mine, I gave it three coats which is probably excessive.
They don't do the exact colour though so take your pick, i had Porsche black but there are lots of grey coloured ones too.

Am pleased to report it's still in the same condition it was there too (it hasn't re-melted)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Right guys, a few updates..

The radio now works properly (it had an aftermarket system in before and still had a secondary harness attached so just removed it :) so holds the code etc..)

It's been on a friends Snap On diagnostic machine and came up with no faults... Which is good but doesn't explain why the ESP is still not working.. The wheels spin up like mad (as if it was turned off) Still

On a more positive note, I rang the chaps who changed the belts who may have the original receipt on their system so gunna get them to send it over :) RESULT!

Does anyone no where the radio steering wheel volume controlls plug into? As this is still not working.. I'm guessing it runs from the comtroller straight to the head unit and plugs in?

Anyone any more ideas on the ESP problem??

Thanks all for your input so far :)

SJ

Behind the clock display. Dash top off job, not too big of a job. Sure there's a guide on here

Audi TT 225
Only about 100ml and i wasn't exactly careful, hehe. Messy messy messy though, definitely do this outside and wear gloves.

Ok guys so my traction controll has started working in the snow.. But the lights still doesn't come on when switched off..

Can I just change the one bulb? Is it a 'dash top off' to get the clocks out?

Cheers

Audi TT 225
I'm such a sheep with a 197 wheel in my 182, 99% of 182s have them fitted iirc.

Medal on it's way.... :S

On a serious note you do realise they are of the same construction and will also melt don't you? (PS, that's rhetorical, please don't reply) At least I have contributed something to this thread instead of meaningless negativity, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute may I suggest you troll elsewhere as there are some people reading this thread who may actually be interested in a solution to a common issue. 99% of people can see that iirc (ironically enough the same percentage of statistics are made up, go figure!). The fact I chose to paint parts on my OWN car is somewhat irrelevant in any case, that wasn't even the question the OP asked...

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
Do you run over dogs?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?601752-Lost-My-Dog-(-(Don-t-worry-CS-will-find-it-INCREDIBLE)

There you go... Oh wait, you're not a member *shocked*.

Long story short, guy lost his dog, posted a message on CS, I remembered a post I'd seen on facebook, followed my hunch, contacted said person who posted on FB, it was the lost dog and now he's back safe and sound. I'm sure your next reply will manage to twist this of course. You have a real talent. If only trolling were in the Olympics.

PS, if you let your 5 year old nephew reply like in previous posts I shall not ingratiate you with any further response. If you wish to continue this "discussion" please send me a PM so I can ignore it. Thank-you and goodnight.

Last edited:
  350z, Subaru Legacy
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?601752-Lost-My-Dog-(-(Don-t-worry-CS-will-find-it-INCREDIBLE)

If this we're a boxing match it would have been stopped at your last "comment" but here you go... Oh wait, you're not a member *shocked*

Well you're probably the one who deserves the medal then. So I'll let you keep that.

Firstly, go and have another look at my comments trolling, hardly. Negative? No.

Secondly I have been a member on and off for a while, infact it ran out just the other day. What bearing does that have on anything?

Audi TT 225
Hmmm :S

That is all.

No offence but this comment you made is practically the definition of trolling. It had no meaningful contribution to the thread so can't be seen as anything else.

DEFINE: TROLLING
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ok guys so my traction controll has started working in the snow.. But the lights still doesn't come on when switched off..

Can I just change the one bulb? Is it a 'dash top off' to get the clocks out?

Cheers

And back on thread...

its a dash off job (its very easy and take about 5 mins, guide are on here), then dial kit out. I think its an LED so you will have to get a replacement that fits. alternatively, just swap it for a light your not worried about. If its LED, you will need a soldering iron.

P.S, technically your both trolling now!