ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Never knew tyres could make such a difference!

TT 225+
Recently went from rock hard economy tyres to some Toyo T1r's and i have to say the difference is incredible, car feels so much more composed and easier to drive, much less road noise too, very impressed, and surprised too! :)

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
I've found T1r's to be not too good in the wet, but awesome dry tyre! I ran a pair of budgets once and the road noise was hideous along with the feel of rock hard rubber.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its the only bit of the car keeping you on the road.

I can't understand the logic of buying cheap rubber! (Not aimed at either of you in particular, just in general)

Last edited:
  TT 225+
they were just on when i bought it, as it is my first car i didn't know any difference, but now i wont be going back!

I can't understand the logic of buying cheap rubber! (Not aimed at either of you in particular, just in general)

Errm because some people dont have 400 quid to waste on tyres and only drive 1.2 litre cars and dont care about how fast they go?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but if the budgets were that bad for an everyday road car surely they wouldn't be allowed to be fitted? Not everyone drives on the road as though its a track.

Going from budgets from hankooks on my 1.2 has given me so much more confidence in corners, I cant think what it would be like on a 2.0 on budgets.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've found T1r's to be not too good in the wet, but awesome dry tyre! I ran a pair of budgets once and the road noise was hideous along with the feel of rock hard rubber.

+1 . Toyos are s**te in the wet . Most tyres will do a decentish enough job if you dont want to push on too hard job in the dry , even budget ones . It's wet handling and braking were it really matters . We don't exactly live in a country where we have long hot dry summer do we ;)

You wouldn't want to skimp on brakes so why would you on tyres ? Its that little bit of black rubber that keeps you on the road .

Errm because some people dont have 400 quid to waste on tyres and only drive 1.2 litre cars and dont care about how fast they go?

I wouldn't call buying good tyres that will keep you on the road in all conditions a " waste " . :quiet:

DCi 100
Going from my conti contacts to brand new T1R's, oh gawd!

I was iffy in the wet having lost the back end acouple of times. Seem okish now. Although seems to judder hard one side when pushing hard, they seem calm and suttle when changing direction doing mild speeds.

I've never driven anything else except a Yaris which couldn't go round corners regardless, felt like driving a high chair around having been in the Clio before.

Clio 172
I am stuck between the choice of

Toyo t1-r from Blackcircles £61.88

Dunlop sp sport 9000 from Blackcircles £76.72

Continental sport contact 3 from Blackcircles £76.85

Bridgestone RE050A from Value tyres £76.92

All fitted, Of course the toyos are cheaper but after hearing the stories about them in the wet i am swaying to one of the others

ITB'd MK1
loving my toyos, better than the pile of dogmuck eagle F1s i had on before.

Having said that i did have 4 different makes of budget tyres on my 300bhp 200sx and it wasn't bad, proper suspension made more of a difference

ITB'd MK1

All fitted, Of course the toyos are cheaper but after hearing the stories about them in the wet i am swaying to one of the others

anything but the conti's from that list IMO.

Clio 172
OP seems happy with the toyos as well, i dont drive like a lunatic in the wet anyway so toyos should be fine.

OP how have you got on in the wet with them?

Chelsea tractor
I found that Pirelli P Zero's aren't that far off PE2's tbh. Imo they're a bit softer and a bit more stable in the wet though

DCi 100
For the love of God I'm getting 15" wheels next time. Double that for a set of T1R's on the Turini's Ben!

Nothing at the mo :(

I had the exact same dilemma... i picked toyo's

182 Cup

Yeah but if the budgets were that bad for an everyday road car surely they wouldn't be allowed to be fitted? Not everyone drives on the road as though its a track.

I've got to agree with the old timer on this. You don't need to drive in a spirited manner to apreciate higher quality tyres.

The length of stopping distances alone could mean the difference between a safe journey home and a crash.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Im running T1Rs at the moment, ii think they are great, had them on my starlet turbo too.

On my 106 gti track car, i tried a full set of prestivo budgets for a laff, went on a track session round donington park and were really good.. Also achieved a faster 1/4 mile time that i did with pirelli p zeros too.

Iv never had problems with budgets, i dont run them on the clio mainly because i can afford better ones to be honest.

MK2PH2
I used to run on budgets untill i decided to buy some brand new ones for what i thought at the time was a crazy price £300 or something, i wouldnt go back to budgets the drive is so much better

Mk1 F4R
You can get the toyo proxes for £28.95 + p&p next day, that price is for 195/50R15
These are cheeper than some budget tyres out there

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m53b0s99p1667

Loads more tyres on there too

Prada spec 2 for me next I think. £144 for 4 from eBay :)

For the love of God I'm getting 15" wheels next time. Double that for a set of T1R's on the Turini's Ben!

Were is that from alex, you can get them cheeper from the place i put up, if you times the price that i quoted^ by 4 that comes out at £115 for a set of 4 and cheeper than wot ben but up for the prada spec 2, good tyres for the price imo, thats were i have always got them from
Are the turinis 16" or 15"