ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some advice

Clio 182
Today i was nipping up the bottom nut on the thermostat housing and unfortunately it snapped, 3/4 of the thread are still in there and ive banged a load of liquid gasket in to hopefully stop anything leaking. Reckon it'll be okay untill i source a new one? Im oncall with fire tonight so if i get called out i need to know it'll be ok to drive and not piss coolant everywhere?
Cheers

Clio 172
I personally wouldn't unless I absolutely had to, and if I had to I'd take it very gently on the throttle and make sure the heaters dont blow cold on the entire journey.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
rest of the bolts all on okay and its pulled housing on plum to the head? run it up to temp with no leaks yet? if yes to both it'll be fine

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It'll be reet for short journeys, just keep eagle eye on the fluid level in tank and don't rev the tits off it. As you say if you can avoid using it until it's fixed do so but knowing lads in fire service your usually within few miles of station so it'll make that trip if needed

Clio 172
Yeah my reckoning is as long as i as i keep tank topped up itll be okay for a few days, cheers mate
Keep in mind the cooling system is under pressure when up to temp and the engine is up to speed, so a slight sweep on the drive can turn in to a pretty quick leak on the road.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Are you saying that there is still a little thread on the bolt that you can grab on to with vicegrips/molegrips ? Im pretty sure the bolt that you need is something like an M6x20 - If you can get the remnants of the snapped bolt out you could take the front middle inlet manifold bolt out and use that as a temporary measure

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
In the meantime get on to ebay and get and order some stainless M6x20 8.8 flanged head bolts.
or nip to renault and get a the right bolt - 77 03 002 838 - £2.28

Clio 182
Im hoping ill be able to get to it with some grips yeah im gonna pick up some more coolant tomorrow and then have a go thank very much for your help