ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need new Laptop

Ph2 172
Right, i've been intending to buy a new laptop for some time now, but just never seem to get round to it!!

I want something that's relatively small - thinking either 14.1 or maybe 15.4 screen. Not sure if i'm going to use it as my main PC or not yet - possibly. In that case i'd probably use it at home with a 19/20 TFT on my desk and obviously std keyboard/mouse.

Been looking at Dell (but to be honest think they look crap!!). We use them at work and generally i think they seem ok - based on all the (ab)use we through at them.

Looking round John Lewis the other week, and happened to see this

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12724292-77993607.html

Anyone got any thoughts/experience.

Cheers

Seems almost to good to be true. It's a good spec for the price & from a reputable store. Lots of RAM, Good size hard drive & a half decent; but not brilliant graphics card.
well hunted down there...

Ph2 172
Lewis's have it at £899 i think!!! but i think they will generally price match. If not then i don't mind buying direct from HP.

It was the graphics card that made me think twice a little. Also a lot of companies are doing Vista Upgrade which HP don't seem to be doing.

Clio 5 1.2 16v
I know you think dell are crap they arnt they are brilliant there offering double ram and very cheap prices, even thought i do like HP best but i have a few problems with there quality of there build at the moment, i do think dell are best at the moment thought and after selling about 4 to various people before christmass everyone seems to be happy with them, if anyone i would go with campaq, compaq is a hp brand but they are compaq built and designed, they have never let me down !!! The reason i do usally recommend dell is there customers service its quick simple and easy they even sometime send a enginer to you instead of sending the unit back

BTW Vista upgrade comes as standard they dont advertise it at the moment but it is out there and its free apart from carridge

see the article here http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/416458-0-0-224-121.html

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Mk2
very good price there, we bought a Dell laptop a week or so back, bit cheaper than that but only came with 1GB RAM and a 80GB drive.

Dont really know a great deal about HP stuff, apart from the drivers for their printers are probably the worse iv seen

EDIT: one thing I do hate about Dell \HP machines, is that they put a large amount of crap on them, which slows it down bigtime (took about 5 mins to boot), the first thing I done to my dads Dell laptop when I got him it for Xmas was to format it, the standard image they put on them is shocking

Clio 5 1.2 16v
fishthrower its standard pratice that really there nut cases, give the computers the best specfication you can get, then put as much crap on it as they can to slow it down HUH 8( thats becuse dell/hp get a little somat for putting google desktop and the google toolbar and orange broadband and so on so really there fing you up the ARSE so they get some more money outa you

A red missile
Good spec for £763, but as has been already said HP load up the machine with all kinds of crap. I had to spend most of a day cleaning up the missus' HP pc that she bought, i'd be tempted by this if i was replacing but i only really use the lappy for browsing the net in front of the telly so i wont change till this one dies - or get nicked like my last one did - theiving f**kers :mad:

Ford Focus ST2
Just bought a dv9088 laptop and it is excellent, ok its loaded with crap but only takes an hour to uninstall that crap.

So impressed i have bought the dv2188 for my girlfriend.

use the discount voucher code "santa" (without the "") and you well get 10% off and free P&P (think it is 686.33 in total!!) bargin!

Rob

Ph2 172
Cheers for teh discount code Rob, that sealed the deal - ordered the 2188 about an hour ago. Good saving all round - £899 in lewis's down to £686.

D

dick

pretty good
i got me a toshiba qosmio f20 - same sort of thing, more than £686 and not as good spec!

screen is awesome, best screen ive seen, can see it at (nearly) every angle. only starts getting funny at about 5deg or so i rec but at that range you cant see it anyway

Consider a MacBook as well. I think they're looking really good atm. And if you're scared about using a Mac OS, you can always put XP on it and run both XP and MacOS at the same time!