ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need Help With Sub & Amp Setup :(

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Hey all,

Got a JBL 1000W sub and a Kenwood amp from one of my mates today...

I have set up a sub and amp before for another one of my mates, was easy and had no problems whatsoever...

However im having a problem, both the sub and amp are wired correctly, power lead coming from the live on the battry to the amp, earth going from amp to the body of the car, have the connections set up from the headunit (sony xplod bt-3600u) to the amp and also the remote wire connection set up between the headunit and amp...

But the damn amp still aint powering up, the light should be coming on and its not and im not sure why...i tested the connection from the live on the battry to the amp with a voltmeter and theres definately power getting through so im not sure as to why its not working...

I even tried another amp which works perfectly in a mates car and still fails to power up in my car so im stumped as to what the problem could be...

Any ideas?

All help appreciated!

renault clio 182ff
try putting a battery live to your remote connector to elimante that side of the cuircut sounds to me like bad earth or remote wire broken mate

1.2 Clio
Do you have a multimeter?
If so pop it across the terminals onto the amp, when the HU is on.
You should get 12v from gnd to B+(12v) and 12v from gnd to remote.
If you don't get these something is wrong in wiring. If you get 12v at B+ to gnd but no gnd to remote then it's Hu. If you get remote to gnd = 12v but no gnd to B+ its main power lead.
Zero on both means that your earth is naff, or small possibility both HU and main feeds are wrong.

If you get B+ and remote at 12v from gnd then you know it's the amp blown.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sounds like dodgy earth or remote out possibly too.

sony units are notorious for the remote lead giving up the ghost-test it

Really? Had 2 Sony headunits, one for 3 years and current for 18 months and no problems at all.

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
If you don't get these something is wrong in wiring. If you get 12v at B+ to gnd but no gnd to remote then it's Hu. If you get remote to gnd = 12v but no gnd to B+ its main power lead.
Zero on both means that your earth is naff, or small possibility both HU and main feeds are wrong.

thanks all, gonna get the multimeter out 2moro...

my dad did use a multimeter today just to check if there was power getting to the amp, and it did indeed read 12v from power to gnd...

@agithegreat - I dont get what you mean, i see you say that i should be getting 12v from B+ to gnd and 12v from gnd to remote, but you then say if i get B+ and remote at 12v from gnd then the amp is blown?

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L

Ok just tested this...

B+ to gnd = 14v when engine + headunit is on so about normal...

B+ to remote = 6.oddv when engine + headunit is on...

gnd to remote = 0v so im guessing this is the problem? i see you say if i get 0 from gnd to remote then its the headunit, does that mean the headunit is faulty or i just have to tinker with the remote wiring?

All help appreciated

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Hmmm run a new wire from remote to amp and now its reading voltage, but for some reason when i join the wire from the remote the amp, voltage readings all around the amp drop from 14v to 8-10v so its still not turning on...

Is this a sign of a f*cked battery not supplying enough power?

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Fixed :)

Wire i was using seemed to be causing problems between the remote and the amp and kept fluctuation the voltage and not giving enough voltage to boot the amp, changed the wire to another one and everything now seems to be working perfectly :)