ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help please Clio 182 doesn't start

2004 clio 182 cup
Drove my Clio 182 to work and back today fine after leaving it stand for 45mins the other half jumps in and she said it went to start then stopped now go to start it and no noise what so ever now[emoji20].

Things Iv notice on the dash lights

Green gear stick not showing now.

Stop light on.

Battery light flashes a couple of times.

Just got back from dropping the half at work in the our other car so going to have a look at the Clio now

Going to rock it back in gear to see if starter is stuck. Got a feeling it's wiring tho

Any advice will be much appreciated thanks

2004 clio 182 cup
0fedbc7473120c84cf9fcf4b72b10bda.jpg

2004 clio 182 cup
Used the other key still the same. How Radom will try and get some jump leads see if that works

This is my first post but I read the forum daily :) I recall somebody having this issue with their 182 a while back claiming the earth strap between the gear box and the body being the issue? Maybe worth checking it and cleaning it up?

Blewk

It sounds electrical because it also refused to bump start, which I would imagine it would've if it was a dead starter? I may be wrong! but start with the simplest and cheapest possibilities first.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the immoboliser as it would be flashing. Chances are it's not the starter either.

My bet is your battery is flat. I've found with mine the electrical system can be funny when the battery's not full, just refuses to prime the fuel pump etc so a bump wouldn't start it. Failing that check the earth strap at the gearbox and have a play about with the relays in the engine bay, sometimes get a bad connection.

2004 clio 182 cup
So just an update I got the thing started yesterday charged up the battery and still was doing the same thing so we bumped it again and it started. With full power in the battery now you can hear the starter motor click loud.

Need to replace the starter motor now which I'm not looking forward to do.

2004 clio 182 cup
Couldn't find where the starter was located can anyone point me in the right direction lol is it underneath the manifold heat shield?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Have you replaced the battery? I'd 100% try a brandnew battery before I go to the hassle of swapping the starter motor. A dead battery on these cause all sorts of weird faults

2004 clio 182 cup
My plan for today get the hammer out and a key man [emoji3] still don't no where it's located tho lol will I be able to get to it with the hammer?

2004 clio 182 cup
So today I started the mission not yet got it off as run out of light.

Toke inlet off removed the manifold bolts thank god there all came off nicely took the clamp of the middle part of the exhaust so I could slide the manifold back I can now see the starter clearly now.
3b078e5c25620e34f17b08e96d9ebaf1.jpg
5791d161489920a44eebfe752a0547f2.jpg

2004 clio 182 cup
Lol don't say that now. Well what Iv been ready it makes it easier if the manifold is out the way but could be wrong haha

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
You could manage from underneath but some of are have been doing this a long time and work out the job process as a glance. I always take off things that could have stayed on, sh1t happens..

Crack on and get it sorted.. Next time you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed....

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Where abouts are you??
This does look like you've gone the long way around things but that's just my opinion. Whatever works for you is the right way for you!!
Make sure you have the wires disconnected from the starter before you remove it completely. Also make sure the heat shield is back on before you put the manifold back in as you'll wish you had otherwise!!

2004 clio 182 cup
Put the starter on and everything back together and still have the no joy thinking about maybe a earth problem now god sake. Swapped relays around too

2004 clio 182 cup
No battery light on sometimes flashes on then off do you guys think I have a wiring issue as the thing doesn't bump start now

2004 clio 182 cup
Yh it's heading that way would start playing up now just as I was going to sell it never mind I'm sure it will be back up and running soon

2002 clio 172
let me know how you get on mate im in the same boat im waiting on engine wiring coming to try that but i have changed battery, ecu immob and uch and ignition barrel, tdc sensor throttle body and potentiometer due to the fault code showing and still no luck

2004 clio 182 cup
Sorry I didn't update. Turned out to be nsf earth strap. Try putting jump lead into the Earth on the battery then to the engine and see if it fires up that was my problem plus starter motor two in one go.