ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

need advice after a accident in my 182. want it wrote off!!!...please advise

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
really could do with your help and input on this....

basically thursday morning i was driving to training, turning off a main road on to a country road i was hit from the rear by a peugeot boxer van about 30-40mph

the clio has got damage to the rear bumper, rear lights, boot lid, exhausts bent, front bumper damage.

i suffered whiplash from the accident, and it shuck me up a little

no i have gone through all insurance and courtesy car has been delivered (brand new jag xtype 2.2d) very nice

now for the advice,. i have contacted just car clinic who has my car, and they seem to think its repairable, they have sent the qoute and request off to my insurance company for approval. (well my insurance company (admiral) are using another company for the claim (albany assistance))

after having a few days to think about it and for it all to sink in, i basically want the car to be wrote off. i have phoned albany and said i would rather it be wrote off due to emotional effect it has had on me. but they said if it can be fixed i will have to have it fixed.

now problem is i really dont want the car back, i wont feel comfortable in it and neither will my gf. we have only had the car 4 week, on finance so trading it after the repair will be a bugger, esp if it goes on my hpi report.

the other driver has took full responsibility, and i havent had to pay excess or anything.

but i would like your advice on about getting the car back or can i request it be written off. im going to phone admiral monday and tell them about my emotion confidence in the car... any advice or help would be great.

mick

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Id be very suprised if they deem it un economical to repair tbh

Even if you come up with a big story about how your confidence is down on the car!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No way an insurance company would honour your request to have it fully written off if repair was an option.

It would cost them more money, and your insurance history would also show a total loss claim - not good for either of you.

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
just car clinic reckon it is fixable, but qoute has been sent to a engineer at my insurance company for final aprovement....

its annoying more becuase its only a month old for us, GF wants to trade it as soon as we get it back, but i will lose money on trade in wont i.

It would only appear on a HPI report if the car was written off under one the cats (A,B,C & D). If its just a normal insurance repair then it won't appear.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
What? strange im the opposite! I would never want my car to be wrote off! Surely if its reparable it musant have been that much of a shunt? and i wouldnt even think that damage would be recorded so resale value should be the same as before.

I had a car wrote off with a shunt, boot floor kinked and quarter pannels, never sufferd wiplash or anything?

A friends car, 8 month old ibiza FR lifted water and bent a conrod and put it through the insurance and they were writing it off, he hada cancle the claim to get it back. so it dosent take much damage for the insurance to write a car off!

www.renparts.co.uk
as said it wont appear on any register,
We were talking about your car yesterday, my mate who i do the damaged repairables with works at car clinic in doncaster as his day job, he said your car had come in and it was awaiting an answer. If your not happy with the repairs then it will be done until you are happy and like ive said above nothing will appear on the HPI report but unless its not financially viable for repair it will be repaired regardless of your requests.

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
We were talking about your car yesterday, my mate who i do the damaged repairables with works at car clinic in doncaster as his day job, he said your car had come in and it was awaiting an answer. If your not happy with the repairs then it will be done until you are happy and like ive said above nothing will appear on the HPI report but unless its not financially viable for repair it will be repaired regardless of your requests.

its a small world!!. yeah, im not having the car back unless its in perfect condition, like i said its only 4 weeks old for me n girlfriend.....The quarter panel was kinked a bit if you noticed it, i know that it can be written of due to that factor

yeah i beleive im awaiting it to be authorised by the insurance company.

its good to hear it wont be recorded. ill be trading the car as soon as i get it back if its financially do-able. after having the jag its made me realise how much i miss a big luxury car like my previous car was

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
What? strange im the opposite! I would never want my car to be wrote off! Surely if its reparable it musant have been that much of a shunt? and i wouldnt even think that damage would be recorded so resale value should be the same as before.

I had a car wrote off with a shunt, boot floor kinked and quarter pannels, never sufferd wiplash or anything?

A friends car, 8 month old ibiza FR lifted water and bent a conrod and put it through the insurance and they were writing it off, he hada cancle the claim to get it back. so it dosent take much damage for the insurance to write a car off!

since owning the clio, we have had a few problems and im not 100% happy with it before the accident anyways.

the damage was bad enough in my eyes, obviously there is worst accidents. as for the whiplash, i def have it, and suffering from it. the comment you made about (never sufffered whiplash or anything).. im glad you didnt get it, i wouldnt wish it on anyone. but just sounds like becuase u didnt get it, then i cant have it.

but im glad it wont be recorded. i wish i put my old bora through insurance after i got it flooded by water. becuase it caused alot of damage in the long run.

Artic Blue Clio 182 05

just realised where your based mate, im from rossington myself, and my girlfriend works at GNE contracting at bankwood lane.... really is a small world

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
ive obviously touched someones more sensitive side here. if you contact albany yourself and ask them about my courtesy car (seen as they have arranged it) they will confirm that i have a 57 reg, silver jaguar x-type 2.2d sovereign, reg starts bw57 ... i was put down for a like for like car, which was a sports car, but because they havent got one in, they have to provide me with a prestige car. ( i can take a pic to prove it if you want) in fact ill post one just to knock you off your perch.....

SP_A0096.jpg

and before you say thats not at yours or stolen pic, heres a pic of my clio on the same drive.

HPIM1461.jpg

i dont want it written off becuase i cant afford it!!!, how can you judge what my finances are like??? you dont even know me, why would we buy the car in the first place if we cant afford it?

i dont appreciate comments like you have just posted, and i hope the admin of cliosport make note of it...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mini Cooper S sport
Just ignore him mate, he's talking out of his arse.

If my car was badly damaged in an accident I'm not sure I'd want it back either in case there was unnoticed damage that hadn't been repaired..

Anyway, hope it gets written off for you. If not, guess you're stuck with it :(

Oh and nice one on the Jag courtesy car too! When my 172 went in for warranty work a few years back I got a 1.4 automatic Clio lol

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
See the post above.

cheers griff, noticed once i posted it, your def on your gaurd lol. i have to admit, ive been on a few forums in my life. but always been impressed with this one since becoming a member ( lol just thought while writting that sounds like im brown nosing :rasp::lolup:)

ibiza cupra
if its taken one up the ar*s then they would probly replace all the panels anyway so when they say repair they do mean replace things like the back panel, boot floor, tail gate,rear bumper. but when you get it back look over it like a hawk and anything that doesnt look factory standard, question it, and check all the paint work for scratches under the laquer when there might be bad prep work and check the colour for a good match, look along the panels for any riples and if you see anything tell them you wont accept it. also check gaps between the panels and bumper alighnment to make sure its all fitted properly

CLS, RS MEG
When my clio was hit from behind they managed to value it £200 under write off fee. I phoned them up and said did they account for the drivers seat being bent, and all 4 pretensioners going off, which they didn't even include in their assessment! Needless to say this pushed the car over the write off limit and i got it's cash value instead.. Just a though?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i feel for you man, i had someone run in the back of my saxo (which led to me getting my 172) and it got wrote off and now im sat at lights staring at my rear view mirror thinking someones going rear end me!, however, insurance companys are sick b******s!, and dont care about you or your feelings, there money grabbers and care about nothing else exept money and will find anyway to get out of paying. sounds harsh mate but its true, there scum.. scum we just have to put up with. if you asked them for a free air freshner they would argue the toss, they will do anything to save a little bit of money. just be glad your insurance aint totally screwing you, my vtr was limited edition and i payed £1600 for it, then less than 6 months later they ring me 2 days ago and im getting £850 for it! makes your blood boil, whats th point of having insurance when it still doesnt sort you out when its someone elses fault!

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
since owning the clio, we have had a few problems and im not 100% happy with it before the accident anyways.

the damage was bad enough in my eyes, obviously there is worst accidents. as for the whiplash, i def have it, and suffering from it. the comment you made about (never sufffered whiplash or anything).. im glad you didnt get it, i wouldnt wish it on anyone. but just sounds like becuase u didnt get it, then i cant have it.

but im glad it wont be recorded. i wish i put my old bora through insurance after i got it flooded by water. becuase it caused alot of damage in the long run.

Im not saying you didnt have it lad, just it dosent happen to everyone, dont like it when ppl claim 2 have it and dont.

Hopefully you get all sorted and get it sold if its not for you, just a heap of unwanted hassel trying to get all fixed first now :(

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not choose a garage to take it to, to get a repair quote? If so I would get them to do a repair quote and inflate it a bit. If they say no, tell them you are unhappy with the current quote and want a 2nd opinion.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont get this obsession of not wanting the car back if its been in a shunt. As long as its not a major accident (it doesnt sound like it?) whats the problem? I crashed my Cup back in the day (front end) And it was fine when repaired, saved me a few jobs also. Some goon had pushed the bonnet down on my original bonnet and dented it, few stone chips etc. with that replaced job done. Same as my broken splitter that was replaced. All cars with a rear shunt will be jig checked for straightness, so it'll be fine?!!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Sucks that it happened. I'd hate for anything to happen to mine. I don't understand why you'll be getting rid of it as soon as you get it back if you can afford it.

Repairers nowadays don't send cars out unless they are in as good shape or better than how they were before the accident. Wouldn't be anything wrong with it.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
It seams to me it would be better financially for you to get the car back (as long as ints in A1 cond.) They'd probably offer you less than you paid for it. Plus either way you'll get some compo for wiplash!
Any news on the decision yet?

Willy + Modus DCi
have posts been taking out of this thread?! how comes everyone gets arsey in the middle?

Family Bus
If my car was in a minor ish shunt and was repairable Id want it back :S

Seems a shame, obviously if you've only had it 4 weeks, its a disappointment, but you've got a great little car there...Im sure whoever repairs it will do a good job!

Oh and PS: Dont listen to your gf...women talk sh*t ;)

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
ha ha, last post made me laugh.

the car is repairable. the bill is £3200, most of rear end is getting replaced, and the front bumper too.

in two minds if to get rid of it or not yet, like you say its prob not financially worth it. i suppose with this accident happening it has got rid of those few scratches on the car when i got it, i suppose it will come back like new.

but i def not accepting it back if its shoddy work.

i do love the car, my previous car was a vw bora tdi, loved the space and luxury, but then gf has her test soon, so we thought we would get a littler, trouble free motoring car for her (my old bora, engine was shot after a turbo blow) ,,, but i wanted something fast and fun, n she wanted something "easier to park" so we ended up with the clio.

sinse having it though, there a few things i miss from my old car. and the tramilining of the clio can be hard to get used to. and the drive is totally different from the bora. but then again they are two different cars lol.

but i do love the fun of the clio, it def has its own personality and needs to be driven hard. everyday i get in it, i try n drive it smooth to save fuel. but i just cant help hitting that 5k mark, n once i get going cant help myself lol n before i know it im at 100+ lol

oh well, ill keep u updated on the car, whiplash is a bit better, but amazing how much it effects everyday life.

www.renparts.co.uk
its actually my mates job your car, he says its coming along well, i said he better make sure he does a good job lol. He says its not too badly damaged, oh and we have got your old bumper as its only got a crack in it ;)

Artic Blue Clio 182 05
its actually my mates job your car, he says its coming along well, i said he better make sure he does a good job lol. He says its not too badly damaged, oh and we have got your old bumper as its only got a crack in it ;)

thats no problem, have what you want off it, just remember when i want some discount lol haha.

im glad there someone fixing it who might put some effort into it. i was worried when they said it was going to just car clinic. heard alot of horror stories. just hope im not one of them.

hey, see if you mate will get that scratch out of the roof for me. its been doing my head in since ive got it. he would be doing me a favour. trade you my rear bumper to get rid of that scratch lol.

cheers

mick

My sisters Pug 206 was written off by the insurance company after the smallest of crashes. My mum came in to our estate and on the cobbled speed bump part (was a small layer of ice/snow) went into a bollard at less than 10mph. Hardly any damage yet they decided to write it off. Got 4k back for an 03 plate that only cost 8/9 new.

Pretty good deal there.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I wouldn't worry about getting the car back aslong as the work is good but make sure you make the most detailed inspection ever before accepting the keys because the insurance approved garages will always push for the repair even if it means cutting corners because thats how they get paid where as a write off would mean they don't. When I had a crash in my old 1.2 clio the repair work was absolutely shocking so after much arguing with the insurance they agreed to let me take it to another garage to correct the crap that the insurance approved garage had done. straight away the place of my choosin said they would have just wrote it off as the damage was worse than initially made out....