ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My thoughts - 172cup vs ff ownership

High guys this may have been done before or i might be stating the obvious at times but i'd thought i post my views comparing my old 172ff to my current 172 cup. hopefully i can help some of you out there who are fence sitting between the two as a quick test drive won't tell you much unless its back to back

172ff: 62k, 52plate, black, cup splitter, 182 anthracite alloys on goodyear eagle F1's, itg panel filter, decat

172cup: 37k, 53plate, crap tyres (for now), remapped, spare wheel

may get flamed for this but here goes....

Day to day; my commute to work is a 60 mile round trip up the M6 then a short fast A road section. Here the ff excells, it is a far quieter car at 3800rpm cruise, air con demists the windscreen alot faster (though i never used it in summer) the interior is much nicer too thanks to the alcantara. even though it's only 1cm lower you can feel the benefit of the cup's seats however. the biggest thing i notice though is the xenon lights, the cup's are pathetic in comparison. i'm not saying the cup is a bad day to day car, far from it, just all the little things add up....

Performance: theres bugger all in it in the real world, end of.

Handling/braking: cup wins this fight, but only on points. my ff definately had more outright grip, but thats down to the 182 tyre size and crap ones on my cup. if you have a 172 ff, i highly recommend this upgrade, my car felt alot more secure after the change, not to mention the looks... anyway, the cup is just that little bit keener everywhere - theres just less inertia and sharper turn in. as colin chapman says "just add lightness".

Looks: cup all day long for me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

So, which one do i prefer?

95% of the time the full fat :O
5% the cup, but when your enjoying that 5% it almost makes it worth it, do i want to swap back to a ff? HELL NO!!!

I'm off for a drive!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well no such thing as a 172FF apart from Rentechs one as it has the 182 cup packs

VaVa
lol @ the FF police... There's no such thing as a 182 FF either ;)

You've summed them up pretty well mate I reckon.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I actually prefer the narrower tyres, less grip=more fun a lot of the time.

mk3 golf gti
good read, people are so anal about the full fat thing. get over yourselves guys, everyone knows what he means.

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
i have owned 182s with cup packs and 172 cups, never owned a 182 cup as thats just a cheap 182

both are fun but the winner is the 172 cup its so much more raw and less electric crap to go wrong