ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My MG ZR powered Mini project

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Now that dodgy Mondeo project is up and running and out of my hair i've decided to start a Mini project after 4 years of having the engine for one.

I got a severely damged MG ZR off a mate a few years ago as he owed me some money so i stripped the car and sold most of it off. The engine got stripped and virtually rebuilt, unfortunately I have no pictures of it, hopefully I have stopped the dreaded HGF in it's tracks.

On Saturday I went and Picked up a 1985 Mini Chelsea for a decent sum. It wasn't in the best condition as no Mini ever is. Today I set about the stripping:eek: and putting it up high on a scoffold frame. Thankfully the Mini came with most of the replacement panels I need to finish the job. All I need to buy extra is the boot floor, two new doors (Carbon Fibre), and passenger side A-panel.

I'll be buying a 16 Mini's Subframe to mount my enigne in once all the bodywork has been finished and covering the front end with a 2-piece clubman flip front that I purchased last year.

Anyway the pictures so far, not that interesting yet but give me time;

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

We are a long way off paint yet but i'm thinking Old Enlish white and black theme. I should be buying the roll cage and door bars to weld in next week so that can be done with the bodywork. Everything seems so cheap, apart from the subframe, so hopefully should get cracking nicely.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Link to other project? This looks like it'll be interesting, but can I ask... (without meaning to sound rude), why put an engine from a crappy MG in such a cool car?

Megane 225 F1
If I ever get around to doing a random project, it will be with a mini.

But like Rob has asked, why an MG engine?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Doubt you'll find the Mondeo thread intresting but it's driving around now all legit and painted

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...Mk1-Mondeo-V6-project.&highlight=pikey+mondeo

The MG engine is a common conversion it's the K-series so with the subframe I will be able to change to the 1.8vvt at a later date. The 1.4 at 105bhp and lighter than the original A-series that the Mini comes with should shift this around quite well with added benefit of the 5 speed box. Plus it's more modern and reliable, HGF aside.

Rob, Willdot search 16v mini forum if your more intrested in the conversions, there a literally hundreds of K series conversions among others.

Will there is no better project than a Mini this is my 3rd, best car ever! I went for a blast in a 1000cc one down the lanes in Dymchurch on sunday, sooo much fun

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Excellent, another mini project thread!

Is the clubman front needed to clear the k-series which I assume is larger than than the 'A'?

By the way, maybe look at putting in a Miglia composite boot floor if yours needs replacing anyway, it's less work, sits the battery/fuel cell (if used) lower and weighs less.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Excellent, another mini project thread!

Is the clubman front needed to clear the k-series which I assume is larger than than the 'A'?

By the way, maybe look at putting in a Miglia composite boot floor if yours needs replacing anyway, it's less work, sits the battery/fuel cell (if used) lower and weighs less.

Yep the clubman front clears it alot better plus I prefer it to the round nose. Yep the Miglia boot floor is an option but I think it may be a little to low

Always use OAT coolant and Always let the coolant and oil get up to temperature before going over 3000rpm. As long as you've rebuilt it well, and you stick by those rules it should do you fine.

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Ooofff - I remember when mine was in this state!...

You mention using the 16v mini subframe??... assume you are referring to the Allspeed one??..

Look forward to updates...

2014 Clio 200t edc
Awesome project. Wish I had the knowledge and money to do something like this!! Should shift as well.

e91 330d/type r mini
just come across this, another 16v mini on the forum, i can remember when mine was in the same state as yours and it seems like an eternity. good old white and black, hmm just the sort of colour combination i would go for. good luck and will follow this and see how you get on. if you need any advice then feel free to pm me as i may be able to help a bit.

Z4
Link to other project? This looks like it'll be interesting, but can I ask... (without meaning to sound rude), why put an engine from a crappy MG in such a cool car?

lol.
The K series engines used in the rovers/mgs are not crap. They have a head gasket issue which can be resolved, apart from that it's quite brilliant.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The K-Series engine is a brilliant engine if built up properly, used and maintained properly, anyone that says otherwise is wrong. Its also a light engine.

We needs updates.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Should be good! I too will be keeping a close eye as I'v got a project mini on the go at the moment as well!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I love the k series, its soo much light than the original a series. I'll try and update this at the weekend.

1979 MG Midget
Now that dodgy Mondeo project is up and running and out of my hair i've decided to start a Mini project after 4 years of having the engine for one.

I got a severely damged MG ZR off a mate a few years ago as he owed me some money so i stripped the car and sold most of it off. The engine got stripped and virtually rebuilt, unfortunately I have no pictures of it, hopefully I have stopped the dreaded HGF in it's tracks.

On Saturday I went and Picked up a 1985 Mini Chelsea for a decent sum. It wasn't in the best condition as no Mini ever is. Today I set about the stripping:eek: and putting it up high on a scoffold frame. Thankfully the Mini came with most of the replacement panels I need to finish the job. All I need to buy extra is the boot floor, two new doors (Carbon Fibre), and passenger side A-panel.

I'll be buying a 16 Mini's Subframe to mount my enigne in once all the bodywork has been finished and covering the front end with a 2-piece clubman flip front that I purchased last year.

Anyway the pictures so far, not that interesting yet but give me time;

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

MG parts

IMAG0165.jpg

We are a long way off paint yet but i'm thinking Old Enlish white and black theme. I should be buying the roll cage and door bars to weld in next week so that can be done with the bodywork. Everything seems so cheap, apart from the subframe, so hopefully should get cracking nicely.

good luck with the project dude... if you need some help don't hesitate to ask.