ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Lockup Project.......

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
.....ok not a Clio project but it will certainly help me when my 172 breaks!!! LOL! This was all done over a series of about 4 weeks hence some of the random comments about today/tomorrow etc.

Decided it was about time I got my arse into gear & got concrete laid in my lockup so that I can erect my 2 poster ramp thats been sat there for over 18 months!! At the moment its been compressed dirt that I've been working on which is VERY dusty, dirty & generally unsuitable!!!

Decided to lay 6" of concrete so had to dig out & level off everywhere..... - where the ramp is going I'm going to dig another 6" down or so & lay a spare RSJ going across to strengthen things - not sure if its really necessary but I'd rather have overkill than the ramp toppling over with a car on it! LOL!

Unfortunately I have a couple of cars that arent in a moveable condition so I'm concreteing round these & will get this area done at a later stage.

Pics...

How my lockup was before I started it...

P1010175Custom.jpg

P1010177Custom.jpg

P1010191Custom.jpg

Fortunately I had the use of a mini digger courtesy of my landlord...
P1010192Custom.jpg

Digging out & getting the levels...
P1010186Custom.jpg

P1010187Custom.jpg

P1010188Custom.jpg

P1010189Custom.jpg

P1010190Custom.jpg

P1010193Custom.jpg

Also whilst I'm digging out & concreting I'm going to build a false ceiling for more storage space...so I'm dropping in some 6x3s as uprights which will get concreted firmly in place.

12ft posts - dropping them 2ft into the floor..

P1010196Custom.jpg

P1010197-Custom.jpg

Also want to say sorry to my 21T Quadra for dropping a 6" x 3" 12ft length of wood on it!!! Its just adding to the sleeper/rat look!!! LOL! :eek:

Its now all ready for the concrete to be delivered tomorrow after I've ordered it..

Finished digging it out, and put the viscuine down...

I'll let the pics do the talking...

I was on my own this morning so used the digger to hold the upright in place whilst I filled around it etc...

P1010198.jpg

All dug out & made a deeper section & dropped the RSJ in place to size it up...
P1010199.jpg

P1010200.jpg

Ready for concrete tomorrow...
P1010201.jpg

P1010202.jpg

P1010203.jpg

P1010204.jpg

....and now for the question....can anyone guess how much concrete I'm going to need in cubic metres?? Its 6" deep all over except for the RSJ trough which is an extra 8" down.

Update time.....well we finally have concrete.....and a S H I T load of it too!!! I estimated I needed around 7.5 cubes.....I was getting quotes of £850!!! But after I rang around a bit this morning I finally got a cash deal of £675 which wasnt too bad.....well until the guy said to me part way through the pour....thats 7.5 cubes mate....dya want me to keep going or shall I stop there? Well it had to be done so he carried on.....right upto 8.75 cubes to be precise......£790 later & I had enough concrete to sink a battleship! LOL! Perhaps I dug out a little more than 6" in places then eh!!! DOH! I'd never be anygood in the construction industry - I'd loose money I reckon!!

Few pics of the concrete laying in process......and may I just say...what a b*****d of a job laying concrete is!!!

Truck arrives......and F O O K me the size of the bugger - only just fitted through the barn door at the front.....width wise AND height wise!!!

So he starts churning the concrete out......
P1010206Custom.jpg

Doesnt half make a mess doesnt it....my poor car...
P1010210Custom.jpg

Fortunately I had a mate who was willing to lend a hand..
P1010207Custom.jpg

We got to a stage where we where trying to avoid falling in the middle of it - we both nearly went head first into it a couple of times - so we lay a few planks across to walk on..

P1010212Custom.jpg

Then it just became tooooo tricky to try and balance on them so I took the plunge....literally....
P1010208Custom.jpg

Least now there was only one of us trying to balance on the edge of the planks - my mate was wearing trainers so chickened out!!

So we then got on with levelling it out...
P1010209Custom.jpg

...and finally came out with the finished flatish slab....
P1010222Custom.jpg

P1010223Custom.jpg

Going to leave it till the weekend to go off properly....then I'll be able to start mounting this jigsaw puzzle...
carramp.jpg

Needless to say my back is now done in & I never want to see any more concrete for the near future!!! LOL! But least it will be worth it!!

This weekends plan was to get the ramp fitted since I'd given the concrete 5 days to dry out. Its come out ok actually - fine for what I need it for & more important the ramp is level where its sat in place so thats a bonus! LOL

So onto todays piccys....

With the help of the digger I got the base all lined up...
04102008236Medium.jpg

Then the holes where drilled and the RAWL throughbolts hammered in place...
04102008237Medium.jpg

Then we got Big Bertha out to play - much bigger digger than the previous one I'd used, plus side of this being it had a higher reach & was heavier so it didnt face the risk of toppling over when I was lifting the legs which are very very heavy!!
04102008238Medium.jpg

So using the digger I was able to get the boom high enough to lift the legs clear off the floor which made it easy to position in place..
04102008239Medium.jpg

04102008240Medium.jpg

Next job was to put the chain on....this proved interesting to say the least....took us quite while to sort this..
04102008242Medium.jpg

04102008243Medium.jpg

Finally though we got it fitted & tensioned up..
04102008244Medium.jpg

...then we put the extendable arms on & chain floor cover...

...et voila....one structure resembling a 2 poster ramp!!

04102008245Medium.jpg

...and a pic just to see what it looks like with a car inbetween in (crap parking I know!!)

04102008245Medium.jpg

04102008246Medium.jpg

Tomorrows job is to wire it all up to the 3 phase fusebox in the lockup so with any luck it will go up & down!!!

I'll get some paint for it and give it a lick of new paint when I get a chance too!!

Well yesterday I spent most of the day on my car but I did get the ramp wired up to the three phase but then had complications by the way of burnt out switches, melted wire & even flames in the main junction box half way down the barn!!! So basically after that I called it quits before I killed myself & burnt the place down & got a spark out to it today!!! He took one look at it & told me I needed a proper RCD breaker box, then told me that the phases where crossed inside the ramp control box (not guilty that was how it came!) - so once we had those sorted these out we turned the power on & it appeared that one of the switches....unfortunately the down one had stuck in so the main screw on the motor side unscrewed itself out - so I've got to now lift that side & get the woodruff key back in again!!! :cry: But at least now I know it will work all ok which is a relief!!!

So onto the next stage of the lockup mods....the second level...more progress was made yesterday & today...

Basic frame starting to be made...
05102008262Medium.jpg

Rest of the roof supports attached
06102008267Medium.jpg

Floor/Ceiling going in...
06102008269Medium.jpg

Looking down from the new level...
06102008268Medium.jpg

Defo need some new lights under there! LOL!
06102008270Medium.jpg

Next weekend should see me finishing the floor & then I can start to store/sort out all my spares!!!

Finally managed to get the final 16ft end length and the floor/ceiling completed today. Also secured the other end of the structure where it was resting on the metal beam of the barn by drilling through the angle iron & using large self tapping coach bolts to properly hold each beem in place.

To finish it properly I've got to make a fence around the top section - then fit some lighting underneath & maybe up above!!

Some pics of how I've got on today - I really have far to many spares to be honest....and I havent finished yet either!!! :cry:

P1010282Medium.jpg

P1010283Medium.jpg

P1010284Medium.jpg

P1010285Medium.jpg

P1010286Medium.jpg

P1010287Medium.jpg

P1010288Medium.jpg

P1010289Medium.jpg

This looks like a Clio sized space...I wonder...

P1010278Medium.jpg

After about a billion point turn....

P1010279Medium.jpg

....shes in her new home....the corner! lol!

Also had the ramp all wired up but unfortunately the solenoids for some reason where stuck in the on position so when we turned the power on it unwound the threads out on each leg so I'll need to unbolt everything again to get the woodruff keys back in place. Never mind - least I know it works!!

Finally got it all sorted & working this weekend...
Couple more pics of them in action..

25102008011Medium.jpg

25102008012Medium.jpg

25102008013Medium.jpg

25102008014Medium.jpg

25102008015Medium.jpg

Hope you all like anyway!!! :):)

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Cheers guys - I am very happy with how its turned out - hopefully I'll be able to do a few jobs for people which will help pay towards what its cost me to do.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Awesome, How much did the ramps set you back mate if you dont mind me asking? Im getting fed up of my home made see-saw affair.

ValverInBits
IIRC know that the rules say that this will be moved to general automotive...... Please don't move this, It's a cracking project :)

Well done mate. I'd kill for a space like that. How much was the 2 poster if you don't mind me asking?
Love it :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looks Great.... Wish I had or had Access to something like this as it woudl make life very easy :D

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Thanks again guys....

Ramps cost me £380 (if memory serves me right) from good old fleabay. They are quite old units (1977) but they work faultlessly!!!

Next stages ideally are to finish off moving my spares up to the new level - and ideally sort them all out getting some order in there as currently its chaos - I dont know what parts I have as I've got sooo many. I want to paint the floor in there as well to stop the dust & to keep it cleaner to work on. Need to put new strip lights under the new section with a proper switch etc.

Then I'm going to move onto the other side of the area & take down the temporary structure I put up when I first got there as its a bit crap to be honest - hopefully concreting under my working area & under the other two cars but not as thick!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Quality work, bet it will be a relief to get sorted and finished!

Dont think it'll ever be finished - bit like a car project - always ways of improving it!!!

Cracking work Lee mate, when's the next track day? Mine will be fixed soon...!

I'm doing Mallory next month mate! Chop chop - you should of well sorted yours by now slacker!!! :rasp::rasp:

320d
Awsome, i'd spend most of my free time in there if i had a lockup with ramp. I'd have a Mk1 Hybrid and a classic mini in there as projects.

172 ph1 2.4 transit
Lee it looks quality mate well done !!

Ps didnt know you had a days work in you never mind a full weekend !!!

Stagecoach Ticket
Top lock up very impressed. Is that spare bucket for sale by anychance? if so is there and a pair or just the one?