ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Llandow car

53 Clio's & counting
Bought this for Llandow next month, bought for bugger all, 81k, no cat so spits flames and is the perfect spec - Front engined, RWD, 9500 rpm and carbon proshaft - should be cracking fun :D

Ps, I have heard them all - 'it will blow up, it will use 20000000 gallons of oil (They are SUPPOSED to use oil, they have oil jets that inject it in constantly) and you will run out of fuel' So please will someone come up with some new down points to the car lol.

20140722_073356_zps2sfu07wf.jpg

20140722_073424_zps5s63dvla.jpg

20140722_193048_zpsg5djas5n.jpg

20140722_193058_zpsp53hbdbc.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It needs cleaning properly.

With 9500rpm you won't get out of 2nd gear at Llandow.

You will earn money out if it.

You are bald accept it and shave your hair off.

53 Clio's & counting
It needs cleaning properly.

With 9500rpm you won't get out of 2nd gear at Llandow.

You will earn money out if it.

You are bald accept it and shave your hair off.

As much as I'd hate to argue with you, damn you know me too well X
I do quite like these..

It'll probably be quicker than most of the clios too!

It's good fun, though I have been told to expect 6-10 mpg on track if you really go for it :-/

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I really like these!

A local lad bought one off some woman who had just had a full rebuild under warranty but it was having trouble starting? (common I believe?) she was told all it needed was 1 part. She didn't listen and he offered her 1k and she took it. It's still going now with all the cats ripped out. Sounded class doing donuts at 9.5k rpm splitting huge flames. Was decent spec too with that hidden nav system etc.

Swift Sport
A lad at work bought one of these and we all laughed, but to be fair he's really enjoying it and hasn't had any issues at all.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had 6 or 7 of these and they all say 2600cc on the V5. Personally I have no idea why people call them 1.3's?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Taken from wiki, "It is powered by the RENESIS 13B-MSP (2-rotor, multi-side-port) Wankel engine displacing 1.3 litres non-turbo (1308 cc)"

So 2-rotor 1.3 must = 2.6 on the V5 I'm guessing.

Swift Sport
It doesn't matter, give it another few posts and people will be arguing about NASA spaceships or something.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think they're pretty funky etc, but not for me.

How come they are so cheap these days?

Because people that don't understand how they work jump in them and treat them like a normal car. Then they break and get a bad rep.

As long as you understand them and treat them properly, They're great cars IMO.

Swift Sport
I think they're pretty funky etc, but not for me.

How come they are so cheap these days?

I think it's a combination of engine failures and high-ish running costs. Many of these types of cars aren't properly maintained and subsequently fail. I drove a few back when they first came out and despite being a perfectly good car, I just wasn't particularly won over by it. I did like the suicide style doors though.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I really like these!

A local lad bought one off some woman who had just had a full rebuild under warranty but it was having trouble starting? (common I believe?) she was told all it needed was 1 part. She didn't listen and he offered her 1k and she took it. It's still going now with all the cats ripped out. Sounded class doing donuts at 9.5k rpm splitting huge flames. Was decent spec too with that hidden nav system etc.

Yeah they did suffer with starter motors failing. Uprated to a 2KW unit along with a coil modification.

Suzuki Jimny
I think they're quite susceptible to flooding as well?

Or that might be total bulls**t.

Can't just turn it on for 30 seconds to move it off the drive etc., needs swtiched off in a special way (possibly blipping the throttle before turning it off...) or letting it fully warm up.

53 Clio's & counting
The main issue is ignition system issues - if a coil breaks up it doesn't miss fire like a cylinder engine, it gives slowly reduced power and starting issues, which leads to the fuel not igniting properly, and the oil being washed off the rotors and loosing compression until it just refuses to start. it's best to change coils, plugs and leads every 25-30k - if they are looked after right they should be no different to a cylinder car.

In fact the yanks are seeing 200k plus on these, so it's the crap UK owners that are the issue lol.

As said it's 2.6 on the logbook and technically it is a 2.6 but people only tend to count one rotor so it commonly gets called a 1.3

Mines the 231 ps, so gets a 6 speed box too.

They can flood, but only normally if you either start it with throttle (no need to) or switch it off when it's still on its cold map

Clio 172
The main issue is ignition system issues - if a coil breaks up it doesn't miss fire like a cylinder engine, it gives slowly reduced power and starting issues, which leads to the fuel not igniting properly, and the oil being washed off the rotors and loosing compression until it just refuses to start. it's best to change coils, plugs and leads every 25-30k - if they are looked after right they should be no different to a cylinder car.

In fact the yanks are seeing 200k plus on these, so it's the crap UK owners that are the issue lol.

As said it's 2.6 on the logbook and technically it is a 2.6 but people only tend to count one rotor so it commonly gets called a 1.3

Mines the 231 ps, so gets a 6 speed box too.

They can flood, but only normally if you either start it with throttle (no need to) or switch it off when it's still on its cold map

Seriously - leave the car in Cardiff and you can drive home my low mileage Ph2 172 :)