ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My housemates shed of an MX5 (Fully s**t content)

hahaha, what he's said is fair though - we've made no attempt to make it look cool. The rear shocks are pretty much solid, so it breaks traction easily, the rear wheels have plastic tyres on, so it slides easily, it's got a haggered bucket seat and a dished steering wheel to make sliding easier... It's a drift slut. And no f**ks have been given. The passenger door is the wrong colour because we couldn't be arsed fixing the broken window winder in the old door. Stuff like that.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It's fully s**t, but that makes it awesome.

Im just saying I dont agree with the above.

It doesnt look like a cool drifter. More like someone who can only afford a £500.00 car and drifts around Asda carparks at night.

Lol, thing is though none of it has been done for a certain 'look'. All of it is because nice parts aren't affordable. We've used loads of bits from the MX5 I built. It's not meant to look cool. And it doesn't!

Im just saying I dont agree with the above.

It doesnt look like a cool drifter. More like someone who can only afford a £500.00 car and drifts around Asda carparks at night.

Thats kind of because he can only afford a 500quid snotter. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable!

Surely, you just get pulled all the time in a car that looks like this? Is it MOT'd?

In between wanking off Messi videos on YouTube, have you ever seen a car that has failed an MOT by somone just looking at it? They look a lot, lot worse than Sams.

It's his run around, it's crap but its loveable for it. What's better, a £600 car that you hate, or a £600 car that makes you smile?

It has a fully legitimate MOT, literally about 2 weeks ago. They didnt even pass comment about the suspension. Only work that needed doing was a rear fog lamp wiring in properly.
Sure he's been pulled over a couple of times, but then so have I in my MR2. It's a non-issue if you've got nothing to hide/worry about. I'm really unsure about what everyone's problem is with running a cheap car and enjoying yourself while you do it...

Clio RS200
Why is it getting slated? I'd love a car like that....one that I can actually park anywhere, eat in, drink in etc and park near the door of Tesco for once rather than parking at the other end of the damn car park as I don't want mine anywhere near other cars. Maybe its not the prettiest car but its purposeful. Its like an old Nokia, looks s**t and still works, rather an Iphone, looks great but in reality its pap! That was just my 2 pence worth

Shed Miata. NFG.
The 50/50 split of people on here is pretty much what I get all the time. Yes it has a full MOT, the coilover damping rates and standard shock damper rates are very similar, they all sit at the same height (just...); yes, it is legal. I get pulled over, they check my tax, MOT, insurance etc... Then I go on my merry way!Tl;dr, I've owned everything from Defenders to a stanced A4 Avant, and this is my favourite. It's fun, cheap, runs and slides. Why worry about your car when you can just have fun instead!

BMW 330d :)
Too many snooty ppl on here. Its a cheap car to have a laugh with. Nothing wrong with that.

Why are you looking to sell your MR2 Joey? I thought you said it was much better than an Mx5?

It is, but it's also worth much more than an MX5 and unfortunately at the moment money is much more useful when it's not tied up in a car. Shame really, as I do love it. But I know I'd fall in love with an MX5 again very easily, so I'm not so sad about it!

Yeah, it's an very early manual 1.6 with the short-nose-crank.
There's a lot of debate about it. I'm going to be looking for a 1.8 this time, but I've only ever owned 1.6's myself (one short-nose-crank and one long-nose-crank). Supposedly the very early Short-nose-crank 1.6's are the best due to the slightly lighter crank; however they have more of a tendency to go bang if the cambelt is changed incorrectly. The 1.6's in general are meant to be a lot more revvy and lively, but obviously less powerful. In 1994 when the 1.8 was introduced, the 1.6 was detuned to 90bhp - which is to be avoided at all costs - go for a 1.6 up to '93/4, go for a 1.8 after '94.
There are some 1.8's with lightened flywheels (RS-LTD's and R-LTD's for examply) so I guess they'd be just as lively as a 1.6.
TBH I'd usually go for the less powerful car as I think they're a lot more enjoyable more of the time; but since I now do motorway work the extra torque and power of a 1.8 is going to make a big difference. Plus coming from this MR2 which seems to have a mental amount of torque, it's going to be less of a step down.

Last edited:
Wee update, since you all love it so much... Headed over to Welshnames house to fit some more budget coilovers, in preparation for new wheels.

8705023746_3dbf1a91a4_c.jpg

Coilovers by j0eyD, on Flickr

8703905485_44e7b5c2e3_c.jpg

8704992472_8dce6c073f_c.jpg

Because Rhystard by j0eyD, on Flickr

8703915707_cd1516a0cf_c.jpg

Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8705037068_71be53074e_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8705037604_671de801d4_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8703909463_8b2b8c7f1e_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8705038108_0df193f079_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8703916931_960d24a55e_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

8705040636_e407a93201_c.jpg
Shag by j0eyD, on Flickr

Next month, wheels...

8703902189_a318f853fb_c.jpg

We picked up some part worns tonight (thanks Seb!), 15x9 XXRs going on next week! Will be getting painted at some point soon too... DIY of course.

Last edited:
Rhys loves fitting coilovers to MX5s on his driveway.

Not stressful at all ;) how was it this time? Can only be simpler!

It was just as bad, one of the old coilovers was bent - had to drill out a bolt in the wishbone to get the strut out... then a donor bolt had to be used from my MX5. F**king nightmare!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Rhys loves fitting coilovers to MX5s on his driveway.

Not stressful at all ;) how was it this time? Can only be simpler!

Done 2 mk2's in the last fortnight, and it's a prick to do WITH a ramp. Getting on for the worst suspension to work on that I've experienced