ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Race

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Finally last friday morning came around and it was time to head off to Oulton Park for the first race, six months after owning the car and getting it ready to see a circuit once more. For those who are unaware, see: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?487157

I don't have any trackday experience (having just done some VXR days with instructors and the ARDS test) so this was my first real foray into driving a car on a circuit.

Scruitineering passed without major incident on Saturday morning, I was asked to cover up the headlights and to take note that my seat is slightly loose and the car was 2db over the 98db noise limit, but passed! When steam started to eminate from under the bonnet, I realised that the radiator fan hadn't kicked in. The other guys had a look but too late to try to fix it, so I was to take it steady in qualifying and park it if it showed any signs of overheating (the dashboard gauge wasn't picking up a temp reading).

Qualifying happened on a damp track, 'mildly moist' towards the end, as Top Gear would say, so I set about scrubbing the brand new front tyres in, warming up the brakes and learning which way the circuit goes. Had a few slippy moments and spent most of the time getting out of the faster guys way. Got one clear lap in and that was good enough for third in Class B (pre-92 cars, out of 6) and 26th overall (out of 30). Four places higher than where I expected to be. Bonus.

Between qualifying and the race I caught up with Chrisnnic, Christopher and Atouba and got a present from Naith...

5045543004_b7635af72e.jpg

Also discovered that the drivers side CV boot had split from the hub and shat grease everywhere. Again, no time to do anything about it - start the race and if the vibrations get worse - park it.

The video for the race tells the story, the aim was to finish the race and not take any risks along the way. That would include backing out of any 50:50 moves, just to bring the car home in one piece.

Along the way I set second fastest lap in Class B (2:13.79) and finished 26th overall. Could have been a few places higher were it for a tiny bit more luck and if I'd actually tried one or two manoeuvers. Thanks to Chris for the pics and everyone's support on the day :) Vid is available in 720p if you watch on YT.com.

5044914325_691a400b9e.jpg

5045526342_d2da285434.jpg

Also congratulations to Josh (cookie-jnr) who won the championship on the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff! Nice way to drop yourself into an addiction I bet! I know what I'm like a kart track (want more, NEED more), so would love to get into this with a decent little toy.

Turbos.
Just watched the vid... did you thank the XR2 driver after passing him? lol...

Must have been good fun mixing it with the Saxos, shame you were lacking a few ponies to get by at the end. TBH, i probably would have given the blue one a little love tap. "Sorry...locked up."

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member

Yup, we'd agreed that since we're both fairly new we wouldn't race each other too hard. No point in one holding the other up all race and not learning anything.

Turbos.
Yup, we'd agreed that since we're both fairly new we wouldn't race each other too hard. No point in one holding the other up all race and not learning anything.

Lure him into a false sense of security, have him off in the next race!!! :clown:

Mustang, S13, AX GT

Must have been good fun mixing it with the Saxos, shame you were lacking a few ponies to get by at the end. TBH, i probably would have given the blue one a little love tap. "Sorry...locked up."
Yvan Muller? ;)

Well done Alex :)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Nice work. Now you've got the first one out of the way I'm sure your confidence will grow. You gain in confidence is directly related to the speed which it drains your account. lol

Nippy white cup
I know what you mean m8...pink on red isn't great but in all honesty the fact that it is pink makes it for me!

Well done on keeping it rubberside down you carrot topped turd burglar x

Good job it wasn't like your first outings on Forza ;)

You likely to be getting down to Castle Combe at all in your Dagenham Dustbin?

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Combe is unlikely, Shrek. It's a loooooooooong way away and my championship doesn't go there. Although I should be at Silverstone next year at some point, which isn't *that* far from Swindon.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Nice race mate! I watched the whole vid and was hoping you were going to overtake that saxo! :( Next time thou :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You had so much pace over the Saxo! A bit more confidence, some slightly bigger balls and you'd have had him no problem.

Great work. I hope when I finally get my Cup out there I have as much fun.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
You had so much pace over the Saxo!
Two seconds a lap, being cautious. Next time I'm there in the dry I'll be looking to get down to the 2.09 set by the fastest XR2 on the day. Having a brake upgrade this week and getting some slightly stiffer rear springs to improve the handling. Donington Park next - another ballsy track... nothing like diving in at the deep end.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
whats the difference between class A and class B? any chance of a rough cost break down?