ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My experience with car finance

BMW 323i Coupe
I wanted to share this, as it may help some people from making the same mistakes as I did, and if it stops just one person, then it was a message worth sharing.

My very first car was a P reg Vauxhall Corsa, given to me by my mum as she had inherited my grandads car when he passed away. After owning the car for about 5 months, I managed to fill it up with oil, and this being the first time I'd done this and not knowing anything about cars at the time, I managed to kill the engine by over filling it too quickly.

So I decided rather than get it fixed, as it had done 100,000 miles, I would get a newer car and treat myself, so I went to a local dealer, saw a Naughty Blue 04 plate Clio, I thought it looked stunning, it was the perfect car for me. Inexperience didn't help me here, I looked at it, and said, yep I'll have that one please mate.

The price on the car was £4,800. It had 35,000 on the clock and 2 previous owners. I put a £450 deposit down on my credit card - first mistake. And had a five year finance plan to pay £112 a month with a slightly bigger payment at the end, meaning I was paying about £7,500 just for the car, that was a s**t load of interest.

I could afford to pay that each month for the car, and the insurance and petrol, and I was only working part time, earning a basic of £300 a month, but pretty much doubling it every month.

The car was gorgeous, but I was inexperienced. I joined this site, I learnt how to do things on the car myself, the more experienced I become, the more I did, saving myself a lot of money. I fixed the broken window for £25, a hell of a lot cheaper than what I would have been robbed for at the Stealers.

In the time I owned the car, it had it's faults, things broke very often, poor build quality possibly. Possibly my fault for not inspecting the car thoroughly.

Last February I decided enough was enough, I had around £12,000 worth of debt, the car finance, credit cards, student loan and my overdraft. The bills were bigger than I could handle, I was paying off the bare minimum each month. Don't get me wrong though, I never missed a single payment on my finance.

I took a loan out to consolidate my basic debt, the amount I had to pay back for the loan was the same amount I would have had to pay for the car just on it's own, so this way I saved myself about £2,000 just in interest off the car.

Since then I've paid a large chunk of my loan off, but even now that I am earning a good average pay, my outgoings are higher than I could ever have imagined.

The biggest mistake I have ever made, was buying a car on finance, I ended up paying £5,600 for the Clio, so only £800 over the top of the asking price, but I still made big mistakes.

I am glad I made them for the perspective that I have learnt so much, but I wish I hadn't done it. If you can afford to buy a car on finance, you can probably afford to save up and get one and save yourself the debt.

Just because it is manageable doesn't mean it will always work out for you, if you consider car finance, consider the pressure it put me under, hopefully people won't slate me for this, and I hope I have saved someone from making big mistakes.

Common sense should have applied when you saw the car advertised at £4.8k yet you're paying £7.5k. You should have been thinking, they are making a profit on the car at £4.8k and they are robbing me blind at £7.5k.

In my opinion people only ever learn from experience; like you have. Most people who 'should' read this will just dismiss it. Probably like you did when you saw the finance figures.

LY R27
Mate I know exactly what you went thru. Instead of getting a loan I took finance out on a X3 which ended up costing me ££££'s and got me into so much debt because of one mistake.

But now I've learnt from my own mistakes. You live and learn buddy

BMW 323i Coupe
but you own and drive a BMW 323i Coupe and yet still in debt ? :S

I sold the Clio for £2,500 and the BMW cost me £1,300.

Each month I pay towards my loan, my debt is covered in the loan, basically once that finishes, my debt is gone. I would be much better off having to not pay the loan each month.

I bought an amazing car very cheap, it helped that I knew the owner, but if I had done that in the first place, a lot of problems would never have occurred.

albi 197
I agree, I currently have 2 loans that equate to roughly £450 a month and a credit card bill which I'm paying off as well. All are the result of cars. In future, whatever I buy will be bought with my own money and not the banks.

320d
Brilliant post that mate. Takes a lot of guts to admitt you've made big mistakes like that, espeically with money.

At least you've managed to sort out your debt now rather than letting it get worse.

DCi 100
Good post, reminds me of that dude on overclockers paying silly for a 1.2 because he was sure he wanted to drive a nice car while he was young.

Definately just save and buy something nicer in less years than the finance will last.

I work with a guy who is paying approx 16-18k on a 56 plate 1.2 Micra, seeing him run bald tires and broken lights is enought to put me off car finance over silly periods for life.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I work with a guy who is paying approx 16-18k on a 56 plate 1.2 Micra, seeing him run bald tires and broken lights is enought to put me off car finance over silly periods for life.

How?

I dont think finance is always a bad thing, but you should do some homework before taking it out. I've never bought a car on finance/loan but would do in the future.

I have bought motorbikes on finance though, but never secured to the bike so if i couldn't afford it anymore i could sell it. Mostly on 0% but have took out cheap bank loans too and never had any problems. I just worked out all the figures before getting the finance.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Another bit I'd like to say is if you are struggling with finances dont be too embarrassed to seek help or advice from people. I was foolish with finance too and if I had asked for help 2 years ago instead of being embarrassed about it and trying to sort it myself I would have saved 2 years of pressure and struggling and probably been out of debt by now. You've been pretty lucky to realise and learn when you were still able to consolidate, if it gets beyond that it becomes a long term issue.

Ive got finance on my current car! I cant believe how much the charge for the pleasure!
I had a £2000 loan over 3 years, total amount payable = £2900 ... Joke!
Ill be settling it soon though now im selling the car! Hopefully will get some of this interest off!

I wont be having finance again, unless its 0% ofcourse lol!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
We all live and learn. Well done for sorting yourself out before it got even worse.

Fiesta STripes
Very true, me and the mrs are in debt, not good at all.

Credit Cards are not all evil however.

I paid the full £11k for the 197 on a Barclaycard, and when that had a list of faults as long as my arm wrong with it and the dealer did naff all about it, Barclaycard withdrew the payment from the dealer until everything was sorted on it. Then the full balance was paid off when the bill came through.

A friend with a corsa has learnt your painful lesson too - he borrowed $4k two years ago at stupid APR, and paid it off last week - £4500!

Live and learn though!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well done on sorting it out mate.

As said though - Never buy a car from a dealer without putting some / all of it on a CC, either using an interest free on purchases kind of deal, or pay it straight off.

Means you have a degree of protection.

BMW 323i Coupe
Some really positive and nice comments coming from this thread, thanks for the replies guys.

I have to say thank you to Revels for making it a sticky, as I said in my opening post, it will be worth it to make someone else realise before they buy. It's not until you've reached the point of having no money month after month, that it becomes apparent a little bit of homework would have solved a lot of problems.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Very good post. I'm probably over careful with money. Not a home owner (yet), and never been into my overdraft, or had a loan for more than 3k. One of my good mates was in major trouble, took him about 7 yrs to pay it off. f**k that

BG 182 FF
10/10 for this post hopefully people will take note. Just don't rush in to buying anything.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
10/10 for this post hopefully people will take note. Just don't rush in to buying anything.

Being the other side of the fence as a trader I have had the opportunity to offer finance packages to potential customers, however I always refused it & not sold one car on finance, I also like to think I have warned a few people off borrowing silly money just to buy a car, I may have lost a few sales- but finance is not nice & as seen in this thread can almost ruin lives-

im glad the OP got himself sorted-

Steve

Lou

Steve Murr said:
Being the other side of the fence as a trader I have had the opportunity to offer finance packages to potential customers, however I always refused it & not sold one car on finance, I also like to think I have warned a few people off borrowing silly money just to buy a car, I may have lost a few sales- but finance is not nice & as seen in this thread can almost ruin lives-

im glad the OP got himself sorted-

Steve

If only every trader was like you Steve!

PS 200
Finance can be dangerous - sounds like your biggest mistake was taking out finance for longer than you ended up keeping the car - which of course was losing money faster than you were paying it off :(.

If you're under 25 chances are you'll be chopping in any car you buy within 2 years - so you shouldn't take out finance for more than this.

If you can't afford the payments over the period you think you'll be keeping the car then buy a different one or wait.

Never bought a car on finance, but have used a bank loan in the past to pay for a car. I stupidly made the mistake of agreeing to the £5.5k they offered me - car was £4100. Used it to pay my insurance, sort a couple of things with the car....the rest I frittered away. Having to pay it back, knowing I'd taken £1400 and blown it on needless things (ie i couldve paid my insurance monthly etc) made me feel sick.

Like you - I learnt my lesson the hard way. If you do need a loan etc - ask yourself if its worth it and can you get it elsewhere? my mum paid for most of my 172, on the basis I pay her a nominal amount every month = no shockingly high interest rates and if something needs fixed on the car, she understands and lets me off with a payment or to pay less that month - NO bank/finance will let you do that

Peugeot 308
I read this and also thought I would contribute.

I was 18 at the time, my £400 Clio RT has taken a smack and deemed a right off, therfore me inheriting a really tatty M reg Mondeo...highly embarrasing however reliable and comfortable the car turned out to be.

Although being in £3000 worth of debt at this stage, I decided to yet again take a loan out (£4000) taking me into £7000 worth of debt! Worth noting, the loans were un-protected (Stupidity)

Purchased a 172, was happy until I got bored of it... Was looking at getting a Subaru Impreza, so topped up the loan with a further £3000...now totalling £10k!

The impreza deal fell through, So with the money burning a hole in my pocket, I modded the 172 and generally wasted money away.

I then sold the Clio...bought a cheaper car in an attempt to save some money...that didnt happen (I modded the next car with the money left over :rolleyes:)

REDUNDANCY!! s**t...

Used my credit card at this stage to live...knocking up a £1k on that...now were at 11k worth of debt in different area's.

Having owned and wasted so much money, Im now back with a Ph1 172 again...

My dad has helped me out, paying approx £3k worth of my debt with me having to soon make arrangments to pay him back...

So, Credit card, loan and dad to sort out... :nono: aswell as trying to enjoy life = stressful times!

I am at that stage where my job has become unsafe again... The revolving door looks to start revolving again pretty soon!

I urge people to take a look at not just the financial package being on offer at the time, but other aspects of there life at the same time ie: Job security, future plans etc...

I am hoping to sort out this mess this year, aquire a new job and look into getting my own place with the partner... Its going to be tough, but damn...what a lesson in life!

Sorry for the long read folks!

06 LY 182
Interesting thread.

I have a total of £21500 of debt but it's being well managed at the minute. Will take me 5-6 years to clear it all, but I'm renting a nice flat and getting by at the minute, so it's not all bad.

There is nothing I can do but keeping paying it off and not adding to it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Colin if you hadn't bought that 182 you would be nearly half as much in debt? :S

Anyway, cracking post from the OP.

I also learned the hard way but tbf I didn't have any interest to pay on my clio. Bought it for 4.5k.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I suppose one thing to add, as hopefully this will get good coverage & good views is your debt- or 'finance' as the case may be in terms of ratio V salary-

Obviously for the most part the CS millionaires on here need not worry about finance . however for joe public the top end %age of Debt ratio to earnings is really no higher than 50/60%

For example, A ordinary guy/girl on a 20k SALARY with a monthly TAKE HOME of £1500
With outgoings of say
£200 Rent £200 on others that are FIXED ( phone/ credit card/insurance) could sensibly sit at on a finance deal of £250 & still not get to 50% debt ratio-

Obviously the rent factor here is for people living at home-

Once your out of home renting & the rent or mortgage is circa 4/500 your heading towards 60/70% debt ratio on a finance deal before you start & this even before insurance & running costs-

This is when peole rapidly get into debt & start making minimum credit card payments- etc etc-

AVOID FINANCE AT ALL COST-

regards
Steve

Guys I have first hand experience with car finance and running up debt.

Some of you may remember me as the guy who was on spendaholics with the stilo on 22"s which was being made at Xquisite automotive.

I can vouch for the problems I had in terms of car finance and running up debts of 56,000 when i turned 18 / 19 all being spent and spunked on cars, so if anyone needs advice on this, please let me know as I have got older and understand all about this and even took a career in finance.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Is there a you tube vid of that episode JP? I loved spendaholics, some really good things shown on a serious not.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Interesting thread, can be so easily done to get into a hole with car finance and other stuff, especially in the current economic climate :(

120d M Sport
If I didnt have the outright cash for a car I'd take out a personal loan rather than go down the finance route, that way the loan isn't secured against the car and more often than not the interest rates are more sensible.

06 LY 182
Colin if you hadn't bought that 182 you would be nearly half as much in debt? :S

Anyway, cracking post from the OP.

I also learned the hard way but tbf I didn't have any interest to pay on my clio. Bought it for 4.5k.

Gally, the swap from the Fiesta to the Clio cost me a very small bit of cash plus the Fiesta itself. Me and my finacee have a loan together (90%) of it is mine though, and in that I settled my Ford account with that money. If that makes sense.

A4 Avant
A lot of peoples problem is that they see this monthly repayment of say £150 per month and think I can cover that easily. Not taking into consideration the fact you'll be making that payment for 3/5/10 years etc. Not looking at the total costs including setup fees, balloon payments and so on can lead to a lot of trouble.

No one is going to lend you money for nothing, especially in the current climate, it's down to you decide if you want to make someone else rich so you can have the privilidge of a shiney new car.

DCi 100

10 year finance, coupled with addiction to lend money from a loan shark to 'enjoy himself' eveytime he's paid off his current loan. Everyone trys to explain
and help to where he says 'but I can't help it!' like a little girl who's about to throw a tantrum.

His business I guess, I should just stay out of it.