ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My EPIC coilover fitting FAIL!!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Well....picked up my coilovers for my Clio yesterday so I rushed home to fit them as you do....

Got them on fine no probs....

Then I reverse off the ramps.....and off the concrete slab and I hear a little scrape so I thought best check....

29112008062Medium.jpg

Ok....so its a bit close but only just touching so it'll be fine...

So up the road I go for a test drive....hmm seem to be set a little too hard so I turn round and.......oh....whats that noise.....its like something rhythmically slapping on the side of the car.....pulled into my lockup & got greeted to this...

29112008065Medium.jpg

Slice of rubber anyone....hmmm yes...perhaps it is a little on the low side......

So I thought....fook it....stick it back on the ramps & I'll have another look another day.......so I went to put it back on the concrete....well I tried but failed again...

29112008063Medium.jpg

Yes the splitter is lower than the concrete slab.....and thats with a load of stones making a ramp too!!!

Needless to say I gave up & went home!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
lol mate, what coilovers are you using? My car is low on Gaz Golds but its basicly on the bottom of the coils and would never make my car that lol on 16's :p Difference if I was running 15's mind you!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
pmsl how much u lower it by

I have absolutely no idea - wheels were sat nicely in the arches though!!! LOL :eek:

lol mate, what coilovers are you using? My car is low on Gaz Golds but its basicly on the bottom of the coils and would never make my car that lol on 16's :p Difference if I was running 15's mind you!

Gaz coilys mate - there was still another 15cm of lowering to go as well! ;)

M2 Competition
How much camber are you running? With a decent amount of front camber should be able to sit that low and not rub the tyres mate. Tis a fine art though!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Standard mate - havent got any camber bolts yet....next on my list.

I've got the rear shims to fit next.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Never got the whole slam it thing.

I just think it gets to the point and looks really silly.

It doesn't handle that well too. When you give it some and its that low and stiff wow betide anyone that loses the backend as your not getting it back.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Update.......got it back on the ramps today & did some adjusting - I wasnt far out with the 15cm left to lower either - I had 12cm left of adjustability on the shock body!! LOL!

03122008081Medium.jpg

So anyway.....I raised the platforms by 5cm and have set it at that for the time being to see how I get on with speedhumps etc...

This is the state of the tyre.....good effort I reckon...and yes thats wire coming out of it! LOL!

03122008083Medium.jpg

03122008084Medium.jpg

This is the offending piece of metal that caused it...
03122008085Medium.jpg

...and this is how she sits at her new much more liveable with ride height.....
03122008087Medium.jpg

03122008086Medium.jpg

....and yes I know the cars dirty.....it gets used...hard....nuff said!!!

Eagle F1s all round are now fitted.....

Handling wise....well what a transformation - its certainly alot harshers/stiffer - especially the back but it did need it I'll be honest. I love the way it turns in...sooo sharp & responsive - Dec 29th @ Dono is my next track day where I'll be giving it the usual abuse and hopefully going round corners even quicker than I was before!!