ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Car that Caught Fire

Mercedes C320!
didn't some recent Peugeot's go through a spate of setting themselves on fire, I think it was either 406' or 206's. I saw that ginger haired b**ch on about it on watchdog a few years ago.

From what i know that was the 307's, but they were engine fires! Unfortunately this isn't that uncommon to here within the motor trade, I am a tech for mercedes and have seen it a few times! Plus they will always send out special trained technicians to check everything, and i mean everything as they take it very serious! I am surprised with VW tho cos i thought they would have been the same!

Anyway sorry to here that mate, Hope you have more luck with your new car! :)

197 Albi S11AND
I had the same problem had a 3 month old 207cc burst into flames as I was driving it insurance refused to take liability nor did Peugeot took me 6 months to get my money back lots of legal letters and trade description acts read to them I got bbc1 watchdog interested and threatened it with them within two weeks they rang me asking what colour I wanted my new car I said I don't want the car I want my money back week later cheque was here A good solicitor that understands the trade description act helps

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't it this new shape of polo that had a fault a while back with cloth heated seats, the fabric was actually catching fire. They were supposed to be recalled but maybe they've made a similar mistake with others that they didn't recall.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
that sucks mate real bad luck.

i think if it was a fault with the car though vw would of recalled the whole lot of them. I'm a tech for volvo and we've done a few recalls for engine bay fires though not heard of one going up. just the way of the world now where theres so much legal action being taken over stuff companies can't afford this so will just recall it.

i think mini have a new recall about engine bay fires too.

172 cup
One question? Do you smoke? Only car fire I've been to that looked like that was down to a bit of someones cherry off there cig blowing off into the back seat without them realising. They then parked there car up and came back to a similar state

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
s**t mate feel for you. I thought I had bad luck you make me feel good ;)

Chin up hopefully you get something for this down the line.

Cheers all.

To answer most questions:

The insurance paid out in full. However, I hadn't bought GAP at the time and they tried their best to diddle me out of 2k. I said it was unlawful and the ombudsman would probably be interested in this and they paid out in full. They found it highly suspicious that I had a picture of the speedo at 1000k - it was only because the lady dealing with it was a BMW enthusiast who was on a few car forums and said she could understand... :|

I lost my no claims and my premium for that car went from £700 to £3k and by comparison my 197 is a joke - but I love driving, so it's worth it to me.

I don't smoke and It wasn't modified. Witnesses that saw the fire said it was on the centre console, near the radio.

There have been reports of Polo's going up, but that was a previous issue with heated seats as stated.

When I started questioning VW - they started questioning me, saying my story didn't add up. Additionally, they said my accusations were slanderous and made some quite threatening remarks. With the stress it had caused me already, I felt the need to back down. Believe me, it's quite scary being on the receiving end of stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
dreadful, i dont think this should be an insurance thing personally, id hold fault with VW... why should your insurance increase because you bought one of their oh so reliable cars?!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Mate I am sure there are many people on here who can help you as well as legal help out there. This is a serious issue and not only is it a massive financial inconvenience for you, it's also caused you stress, and could be a serious fault with the car.

SQ5
Tom,

Just a little info for you but a friend of a friends 2011 Polo went up in flames the other night damage looked nigh on the same as yours.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
There's a lad on the m3 forum who had a mk5 golf r32 go up in flames too apparently it was the wiring to the xenon headlights