ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My airbag just went off and i didnt crash WTF?

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
f**king 172's been s**t since day 1.

driving home tonight straight road then BANG.
im f**king deaf, engines stopped, hazards are on.
the cars full of smoke, i stop.
i look underneither thinking i've hit a rock or something...no.
i check the wheels for buckles.....no.
i drive home with no damage other than my left ear being fucked.

this might be a straw to far for the old clio.

i often wondered if the airbags would actually work if i crashed, i never thought theyd just go off for the crack like.

*edit* passenger seat airbag went off**

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Ah, don't you just love the french...

Dan

Chocolate Bar™
unfortunate i'd be on the phone to renault uk in the morning. who gives a flying fook about warranties as thats going to cost a fortune to get fixed, unless of cause youve got protected no claims on your insurance.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Damn. This is gonna make everyone paranoid now.
So it cut your engine and put your hazards on or did you do those?

unfortunate i'd be on the phone to renault uk in the morning. who gives a flying fook about warranties as thats going to cost a fortune to get fixed, unless of cause youve got protected no claims on your insurance.

indeed... file a complaint to Renault, hopefully they'll stump up the £1000+ its going to cost for the new airbag and seat cover.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Damn. This is gonna make everyone paranoid now.
So it cut your engine and put your hazards on or did you do those?

car did that.
initially i thought i had taken then sump off again, the car filled with smoke after a big bang, i looked down the every light on the dash was flashing.
i then realised the engine had stopped so i pulled over, go out, looked around the car b4 realising the smoke was only in the cabin.

so went to the passenger side and saw the bag handing out.

Chocolate Bar™
yeah its in the centre console. but the biggest question is was the car driveable afterwards? as otherwise the ecu will need to be unlocked which caused adamhodg a load of problems when he attempted it on his.

Bloody hell, that's a bit of a shitter. I s'pose the only good thing is that it wasn't the steering wheel one!

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
i drove home with the serivce light and the airbag lights on.

theres also some gray plastic in the footwell, no idea where thats come from.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
thought this bag was for side impacts anyway?
i've never had any joy with renault customer service, is it worth me even bothering ringing up?

Yeah, if they refuse to play ball take it to the citizens advice bureau.

Can't be dealing with explosions happening in your car. What if you had a passenger!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
^^ yea as above for sure, not a case of the car being a little s**t as in most complaints they would get. Its a case of them actually building something extremely dangerous. What would have happened if you had been on the motorway and it had scared you s**tless and you'd had a 70 mph crash...

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You HAVE to make some sort of complaint to them! What happened was just downright dangerous. It could just as easily have been the drivers side airbag going off.

Mercedes C Class Sport
one of my mates had a small crash with the drivers side front wing and the passenger side seat airbag was the only one that went off...seems alot of faulty airbags around

SLK250 CDI
If the car has been maintained properly and to schedule, then Renault must be liable for it as it must be a manufacturing defect? You or one of your passengers could have been seriously injured by this, so they should be paying for the repairs and any health damage you've suffered as a result.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The side impact sensors are down by the doors, but the G Force needed to set them off is at least 8 times as much force you can generate driving!

I'd guess the computer went nuts, some wiring chafed, the sensor went nuts, or the bag just went off by itself.

Must be a manufacturer error.

Get chatting to them about how much you were bricking it when it happened and how dangerous it could have been, cutting power and filling the car with smoke. The loud bang alone could have caused you to crash.

The seat cover, airbag and new computer adds up to a £££ and I wouldn't give them a penny.

Imagine if the driver's airbag had gone off in your face!

BMW 320d SE
That's really bad! Like others have said, get on the blower to Renault. Good luck with it though - they refused to believe that their bonnets were faulty, so I find it unlikely they're going to do a great deal about this either!

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
The side impact sensors are down by the doors, but the G Force needed to set them off is at least 8 times as much force you can generate driving!

I'd guess the computer went nuts, some wiring chafed, the sensor went nuts, or the bag just went off by itself.

Must be a manufacturer error.

Get chatting to them about how much you were bricking it when it happened and how dangerous it could have been, cutting power and filling the car with smoke. The loud bang alone could have caused you to crash.

The seat cover, airbag and new computer adds up to a £££ and I wouldn't give them a penny.

Imagine if the driver's airbag had gone off in your face!

what new computer?
is it not as simple as just fitting a new seat??

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
what new computer?
is it not as simple as just fitting a new seat??
You need a new airbag computer once any of the airbags have gone off.:(

They can be reset but not by Renault. Renault will only replace them. There's someone on ebay in Germany (I think it was) who resets them by post.

edit: think it's these guys http://www.airbagnews.com/ but the site's in German and I can't see them on ebay any more.

Last edited:
  850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
spoke to renault.

just took a load of details.

some senior bodys gonna call me back, prolly with a price of repair.

williams 2
there is a airbag recall on some cups, maybe its full fat too. Maybe its worth putting up an announcement saying to everyone to contact reno and quote there reg to see if there is a recall outstanding....

Tangoed Works
Unlucky mate, hope they sort it for you. In the past when the dealers have pissed me off, I have felt like driving my car through the showroom and setting it on fire. w*****s

BMW bus
Funnily enough I just had a crash in my Cup and the airbags DIDNT go off?! Yours go off when they arent supposed to and mine dont go off when they are?! Loving the build quality on these French cars!
(I am aware that I have only had my car 3 months and have already pranged it, therefore am officially a tw*t, but in fairness to myself someone did pull straight out on me at a roundabout:mad: )

visualize whirled pe
In my youth I worked for a 'major' luxury car manufacturer who where getting recalls because the "steering lock was activating on cars doing 70 mph!!!" Imagine that!

Renault should be sorting this out for you, getting a replacement car sorted while the work is done and giving you some confidence back in your car.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
In my youth I worked for a 'major' luxury car manufacturer who where getting recalls because the "steering lock was activating on cars doing 70 mph!!!" Imagine that!

Renault should be sorting this out for you, getting a replacement car sorted while the work is done and giving you some confidence back in your car.

with that sort of customer friendly attitude you will get nowhere in life my friend.

the days of someone holding thier hands up and saying "bring it down and ill sort it out" have gone.
i imagine they say sorry, it was my fault they went off because i was using the car incorrectly, or some bullshit.

end of the day in my mind, theres nothing you should be able to do in a car that sets the bags off other than smashing it into a f**k off wall.

Black Twingo GT
I bumped the wheels on the passenger side of mine. The Pre-tensioner went off and there was knowone in the seat.

Has it took the pretensioner out too? That could explain the plastic bits.

I had to get a new computer and tensioner. Cost something like £400 with labour...nightmare.

Dan