ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPG, seems low

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Hi all,

Having been lurking for a while as I'm still learning fast about the car, I've noticed that I think my mpg figures might be low.

I do quite a bit of mway driving and generally save 5k+ rpm for hooning @ weekends. On the mways i tend to cruise between 75 - 85, now and again giving her a little extra poke to get past any douchebags.

I use an app + onboard computer and they both reckon that i'm averaging about 32 mpg, this seems low... the best i've had on the app is 36, is this about right? There are no mod's... it's standard and the recent emissions test for my MOT looked like the engine was running a good mixture. Is it down to my right foot? As I said, I don't drive her like she's stolen very often, only when the mood strikes.

Any wisdom would be great!

Cheers

PS I hope this is in the correct forum! :)

FF Clio 182
If it was in the twentys then i would worry but not 36. Lowest i ever got mine was 19 but i was giving it death so it is understandable. best i ever got was 48 but that was 5th gear doing about 30mph. :)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
was averaging about 36-37mpg one a slow drive from brum to cannock last night. Cleaning my throttle body out properly (taking it off) seems to have helped no end

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I went from a 1.2 16V to a 182! Best think I have ever done. Love every minute of it. You have to pay petrol anyways so it don't bother me. Feels so much nicer than the 1.2. Feels like your driving a car not a tin can. :)

I remember going from my '96 1.4 RT to my Williams... that was pretty insane. Even the straight line improvement from the Willy to the 182 was a surprise, but I maintain that the willy is still better in the corners, even if you have to work harder.

FF Clio 182
I remember going from my '96 1.4 RT to my Williams... that was pretty insane. Even the straight line improvement from the Willy to the 182 was a surprise, but I maintain that the willy is still better in the corners, even if you have to work harder.

The harder it is the more fun it is to drive :)

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Is it standard or modified? Yeah no assistance at all just driving instinct :)

Completely original (a proper phase one #0102) - currently taking her to pieces for a complete nut and bolt rebuild.

yeh, driving instinct is all you have and I didn't realise how much I had until I aquaplaned a few times. the 182 is easier to drive fast if you're not trying but when you put your mind to it the williams is untouchable. as some civic type r's i've destroyed on some kentish b roads!

FF Clio 182
Lol my 182 is the FF so she is a heavy lady in the corners :) did think of getting a Williams but they are so hard to come by :(

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Lol my 182 is the FF so she is a heavy lady in the corners :) did think of getting a Williams but they are so hard to come by :(

all you need is some lift off over steer, sorts the weight out ;)

my williams was a complete strike of gold - i was looking at just the right time and got lucky. i'm never selling mine, i want to be burried in it lol

FF Clio 182
all you need is some lift off over steer, sorts the weight out ;)

my williams was a complete strike of gold - i was looking at just the right time and got lucky. i'm never selling mine, i want to be burried in it lol

Lol fair enough. I considering ditching the cup springs and going for some eibach lowering springs to make it a little nicer in the corner, along with a PMS strut brace and top mounts :)

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Lol fair enough. I considering ditching the cup springs and going for some eibach lowering springs to make it a little nicer in the corner, along with a PMS strut brace and top mounts :)

this is where my knowledge falls down massively... I am still learning so hard and fast about these cars. I know the willy inside out, but I don't know where to start with what on my 182. I think i'm gonna have to start with a yozza (the new one from BTM)!

FF Clio 182
this is where my knowledge falls down massively... I am still learning so hard and fast about these cars. I know the willy inside out, but I don't know where to start with what on my 182. I think i'm gonna have to start with a yozza (the new one from BTM)!

Yh coming from a 1.2 I knew the basics but the 182 is a whole new kettle of fish! Same as me then, learning fast :) the forums was the best £12 Investing when incomes to information about the clio. I got mine booked up BTM on the 29th for a full service, Fluids changed and a complete once over :)

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Yh coming from a 1.2 I knew the basics but the 182 is a whole new kettle of fish! Same as me then, learning fast :) the forums was the best £12 Investing when incomes to information about the clio. I got mine booked up BTM on the 29th for a full service, Fluids changed and a complete once over :)

I do all the servicing myself, that's something I've always been able to stay on top of... learning the hardway. although i do want to have a look @ the gearbox oil and flush the brakes, but getting the front ones done soon so will probably so it then.

i agree with you on the membership fee, some of the best money i've spent. I'm pleased that I can add something to discussions more now that I am learning rather than just reading non-stop all the time. :)

FF Clio 182
Yh my rear disc's and pads could do with changing. will later on down the line fit braided hoses and racing fluid. I could do it myself but i would it done so i can get the stamp in the book. I don't do that many miles so will be a while before it needs another service :)

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I might look @ braided hoses but don't think I push her hard enough to justify uprated fluids, however I am thinking of replacing the foglights with trumpets to improve airflow as the cup alloys aren't great for cooling...

FF Clio 182
I might look @ braided hoses but don't think I push her hard enough to justify uprated fluids, however I am thinking of replacing the foglights with trumpets to improve airflow as the cup alloys aren't great for cooling...

I looked at trumpets instead of fogs as heard the cooling is pretty shocking for brakes. Tbf when do you ever use fogs lol

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I looked at trumpets instead of fogs as heard the cooling is pretty shocking for brakes. Tbf when do you ever use fogs lol

I only use my fogs when i'm trying to look cool and 'rude' ;)

The only problem I've read about is finding trumpets that fit the fog light fixtures properly. Apparently you have to use a lot of filler...

FF Clio 182
I only use my fogs when i'm trying to look cool and 'rude' ;)

The only problem I've read about is finding trumpets that fit the fog light fixtures properly. Apparently you have to use a lot of filler...

Oh right not so pretty looking then. So then filler + respray would get expensive .

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
That was a 140 mile round trip to work, sitting at 80 on cruise control. Driving down to CSS last year it done 400 miles to a tank or something!

​I must be doing something wrong... on a long cruise at 80 i'm happy to top 35 mpg...