ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPG problems? change your lambda....

clio 182
just a quick note, having done searching while having this problem every1 said change the lambda but i couldnt find anywhere that said if the problems went after changing it...

here mine (182 related),

just before the bad snow, i was getting 29mpg (with granny driving) also reading comments on here and wondered about how people are getting 34+mpg in their 182's, as ive only seen them figures on the motorway and as soon as i drive around town they drop again.
I think its just a coincidernce but the problem started after i filled the car up from empty. and was doing normal town driving i was getting 15mpg... technically using twice as much fuel as normal, did about 40 miles before the snow hit hard and was on about 80/90 miles now and its up to 18mpg.

After looking on here and people said change the pre cat lambda, (the 182 has two, one post cat and one pre for people who dont know) so i finally bit the bullet and funds are tight at the mo, and looked at prices, was told use bosch only for lambda's and phoned renault - £90ish, NW performance was £65 posted but chose to go through a friend of a friend mechanic, who got one for £60 and offered to fit it on his drive for a few quid, saves the lambda getting damaged in the post.

On the way to his house i was getting 18mpg, took 20mins to change if that once it got the car up n safe. fitted it and started the car and it seemed to run n sound about nicer, within a few miles of leaving his house on the way home i was getting 35mpg! sweet! i have never seen them figures before even on the motorway! i was thinking id only get 30mpg but by the time i was home it was 36mpg!

I am now in love with the clio again, just hopefully this snow keeps away from scunny so i can drive it!

comments welcome, I just wanted and thought id share my experience with the common problem and what sorted it for onces that didnt know.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Good news, glad you sorted it :) Im sitting pretty at 35-40 so guess mines fine :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
most definatly worth changing it as proved by yourself! i'm gonna need to do mine too soonish...only seeing 30 mpg myself.

clio 182
from reading things on here 172s tend to get better Mpg? i was driving mine the same, got what i thought was normal 29mpg, then 15mpg and with a new lambda 36mpg, all driving the same way.

plus it'll pay for its self after a few tanks of petrol, bonus!

clio 182
ive been told there were the same, and the post cat sensor only tells you if your cats fooked. i would of done that but coz ive had alot and i mean alot of exhaust problems and different cats on, and middle sections. i thought that would be damaged so i went for a new one, then i know if deffo work first time and sort the problem, and it did :approve:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
So which one did you change?
And is itthe one that goes into the cat? As of you have a decat would it be pointless changing te sensor?

clio 182
So which one did you change?
And is itthe one that goes into the cat? As of you have a decat would it be pointless changing te sensor?

the pre cat sensor, i dont have a decat, i did when i first got the car then get i got a sports cat fitted,

I would say it would be worth changing if ur getting poor mpg, decats do wear the sensors more quickly so ive been told.

Ive been getting 26ish for a very long time now.

Time to change when the cat goes back on i reckon.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
are you people talking about miles per UK or US gallon? my car shows in liters/100km and I want to see how mine is compared to some of your cars fuel consumption wise..
thx!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
you said that you had 26 mpg lately. is that around town or combined?

2004 182FF
you said that you had 26 mpg lately. is that around town or combined?

I get 28-30ish mpg around town (mainly cause I rag it), 40mpg at 65mph and 37mpg at 80. New sensor 2 months ago.

(using cruise control). The 182 goes a surprisingly long way chilling at 65.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I get 28-30ish mpg around town (mainly cause I rag it), 40mpg at 65mph and 37mpg at 80. New sensor 2 months ago.

(using cruise control). The 182 goes a surprisingly long way chilling at 65.
I suppose you are also talking miles per UK gallon right?

im also getting 26mpg combined so i assume mine needs changing, but which lambda sensor do i change?
i will have to get this, so i'll be saving alot more on the fuel, but need to know which to change before i get one :)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
just wanted to be sure even though 37mpg (US) at 80 would've been too optimistic!

Arctic 182
I had 44mpg (honestly!) on the most boring journey ever a couple of months back*-*M6 was packed, but traffic all moving around 55, then that combined with the average speed traps at 50 too –*gradually came down to around 39 by the end of the 150 mile trip, but for about 2/3 of that it was well above 40

In contrast on the current tank i'm averaging 28/29 due to mainly using it for heading to and from work, think my average speed over the last 200 miles is 17mph! The 182 seems to really suffer when doing a lot of stopping, starting and waiting in traffic

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be changing mine soon.
Its gone soon after the decat was fitted.
I've goen from 42mpg on motorway EASILY to no more than 33mpg in ANY situation.
FMWallet.

Im going to need to have mine checked out then. Think you could do it Fred when i eventually book myself in for an exhaust change?

ok i'll do a 65mph test after the snow has cleared, and will likely be giving you a ring Fred (i hit 45 when i first had it, but dropped thereafter) :)

as above really, is it easy to check the sensors? and also when i "check" the sensors, what exactly am i checking for/doing?!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I was talking about the instant fuel consumption at a given speed, this shouldn't have anything to do with the average mpg, and re-setting the trip computer would be just an option. I'll set the cruise to 65 mph with the first occasion and see if I'm above 40 like fred said

07 Campus Sport 1.2
35mpg plus from a 182! theres must be something wrong with mine then, its a 3 year old 1.2 16v Campus and i barely get 30mpg around town! doesnt go above about 35mpg for motorways! any ideas?

2004 182FF
I get higher mpg out of my 182 than I did in my 16v 1.2 on the motorway.

Around town they're comparable and at 50ish the 1.2 was better.