ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving the gearstick back mod

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Consider me schooled! Had a look at it but didn't wanna go tugging at stuff I couldn't see/didn't understand... Hindsight - wonderful!

182FF
Thread from the dead.

I didn't have to cut that short metal bar that is linked to the gearbox. The black bar from the gear stick is HOLLOW and can just be slid further over that metal bar. If that doesn't give you enough tilt back on the gearstick then you need to shorten the black hollow bar and re-cut a notch for clamping up.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thread from the dead.

I didn't have to cut that short metal bar that is linked to the gearbox. The black bar from the gear stick is HOLLOW and can just be slid further over that metal bar. If that doesn't give you enough tilt back on the gearstick then you need to shorten the black hollow bar and re-cut a notch for clamping up.

Any more info on this?

I.e.. can you explain it to a r****d? :)

Apparently it's possible to move the gearstick so 1st,3rd,5th are where neutral are, so reducing the reach to the gearstick.

Yes, I got Dan to do it while the car was up on the ramps great mod for no money, as Jay said I think you just undue the rod linkage at gear box end and slide it further on, it moves the gear stick closer to the driver, I've not missed a gear change yet ! famous last words lol.

Regards Russ......

182FF
Yeah exactly as Jay said. Undo clamp, slide further up metal bar (that doesn't need cutting but is shown being cut anyway in this thread!) then re-clamp up.

180.5 bhp 172
Now I know that you don't need to cut anything, I might have to do this!

I'm not the best when it comes to cutting things...:banghead:

182FF
Now I know that you don't need to cut anything, I might have to do this!

I'm not the best when it comes to cutting things...:banghead:

Dead easy ten minute job. Might have to take undertray off, I can't remember.

And as mentioned previously, scribe or paint pen on a mark so you can align the hollow shifter shaft and solid gearbox insert (the bit that was cut but doesn't need cutting) at the same angle to each other after sliding in the solid one more. This was mentioned previously as you'll lose gears otherwise!

180.5 bhp 172
Dead easy ten minute job. Might have to take undertray off, I can't remember.

And as mentioned previously, scribe or paint pen on a mark so you can align the hollow shifter shaft and solid gearbox insert (the bit that was cut but doesn't need cutting) at the same angle to each other after sliding in the solid one more. This was mentioned previously as you'll lose gears otherwise!

Do you mean mark it so you can line it up to stop it 'twisting' as such?

Is it just a case of trial and error on how far you have to slide the bar along? Also, is it best to have it in gear when sliding it or in neutral?

182FF
Do you mean mark it so you can line it up to stop it 'twisting' as such?

Is it just a case of trial and error on how far you have to slide the bar along? Also, is it best to have it in gear when sliding it or in neutral?

Yeah exactly, stop it twisting relative to the other bit.

Well I just threw it as far along as I could and it suits me there (but seat is nearly all the way back).

In gear or not won't make any difference once you start fiddling. You'll know what I mean when you do it.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I know this is an old thread now, but I looked this over before attempting to do this mod and just thought i'd update it with what i did as i think it's a easier and safer option

So I managed to do this without cutting any of the selector shaft off. The gear linkage is hollow, but the clamp had deformed the ends a little making it impossible to push the selector in any further. I simply opened up the clamp on the linkage and the ends of the linkage enough to be able to push the selector further into the linkage.

I'm not sure how much i pushed it in, but the linkage in now almost right to the end of the selector rod and clamped back up, so i don't think i'd be able to push it in any further.

Gearstick position is better, But i think i'm still probably going to get either the scenic mod stick, or a PMS shifter at some point.