ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motec, EFi or Pectel

I think I am going to bite the bullet and get some 'proper' engine management on my car. My options are

Motec M400
EFi Euro4
Pectel T6 (not sure on the correct model or the pricing on this)

Has anyone got any experience and opinions on these systems.

PS I do realise how much they cost;)

Maybe Autronic SM4? Better value then Motec.

Pectel T2 - 1 x 32 bit @ 21Mhz microprocessor
Pectel T6M - 2 x 32 bit @ 25Mhz microprocessor
Motec M4 - 1 x 32 bit @ 33Mhz microprocessor
Autronic SM4 1 x 16 bit @ 20Mhz microprocessor

Processor not really upto the competition. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Last edited:
  Turbo Beige
Not got experiance, but have done lots of research in this area (wrote a 21,500 word project on it). Motec are widely regarded as the best, but not the easiest to use, but the advantage with the pectel is i believe it is compatable with some datalogging systems, depends what you are looking for. I don't think that any would be stand-out-hands-down better than another one.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
cant really see the point, omex may not be the best management and may not have the most features but it'll do the job

2005 Nissan Navara
and its expensive compared to say KMS...whoch does the job very well, has adaptive lambda function, launch control, full throttle shift and other auxillary outputs.

bargain at circa £400

But the additional wideband controller is another £200 odd!

You know my opinions Mark, i wouldnt bother with motec.

Dallara-Renault/Sodemo
Having used all three, I'd put them in this order.

Euro4 - You will not find any better value for money in a high end ECU. Essentially a Euro6 in a new Hybrid package which is the same ECU used by all BTCC teams and a lot of WTCC as well. The self learn fuel mapping is excellent and saves hours of dyno time. Also has one of the best knock control setups I've ever seen, either OE or aftermarket.

Pectel - T2 is an excellent product with all the features you need. The backup is a little flaky.

M400 - Over rated and expensive. Doesn't do much that an Haltech, Omex or KMS does anyway. Good backup worldwide and easy enough to tune but lacks any serious features.

Thanks for all the comments.

My car is a road car which will be running ITBs and cams. I currently have OMEX which runs the car, how well is debateable. This may be down to mapping but I prefer to have the best possible kit I can get and get the most out of the car I can.

At the end of the day I feel the OMEX is a big step back from the OE management and want something better.

Having used all three, I'd put them in this order.

Euro4 - You will not find any better value for money in a high end ECU. Essentially a Euro6 in a new Hybrid package which is the same ECU used by all BTCC teams and a lot of WTCC as well. The self learn fuel mapping is excellent and saves hours of dyno time. Also has one of the best knock control setups I've ever seen, either OE or aftermarket.

Pectel - T2 is an excellent product with all the features you need. The backup is a little flaky.

M400 - Over rated and expensive. Doesn't do much that an Haltech, Omex or KMS does anyway. Good backup worldwide and easy enough to tune but lacks any serious features.

I have read the EFI website and they definately have the pedigree as you say with ECUs being used in the BTCC etc. When I spoke to OBR yesterday they were very freindly and helpful which is always a good sign.

I am surprised how few people rate Motec given its name.

2005 Nissan Navara
name and function are often mutually exclusive....it can be a mistake to rely on reputation alone.

I would say that your feelings towards the current Omex set-up have been induced by poor calibration and set-up.

The solution....get it done right! The ecu is up to scratch...theres no doubt there really. Its not exactly a complex install with finite stratergies and control required!

spend the XXX you were going to spend on a new ecu, and get yours set-up right. Otherwise you are going to be spending a s**t load on new equipment THEN mapping.

Ben..its a benefit..not strictly necessary... besides, i'll hire mine out if the price is right :p

I see a couple of the tangible benefits of EFi over OMEX to be the adaptive mapping and integrated wideband.

I would also imagine the car will feel smoother with a larger number of mappable sites and faster microprocessor.

I would be having the OMEX remapped anyway and apparrently the EFI can use the same sensors so it would only be the ECU to buy, plus I would be able to sell my OMEX and innovate lambda which would absorb some of the costs.

I think if I kept the OMEX I would always have that doubt that it could be better.

You do make some good points though it is alot of cash after all...

name and function are often mutually exclusive....it can be a mistake to rely on reputation alone.

I would say that your feelings towards the current Omex set-up have been induced by poor calibration and set-up.

The solution....get it done right! The ecu is up to scratch...theres no doubt there really. Its not exactly a complex install with finite stratergies and control required!

spend the XXX you were going to spend on a new ecu, and get yours set-up right. Otherwise you are going to be spending a s**t load on new equipment THEN mapping.

Ben..its a benefit..not strictly necessary... besides, i'll hire mine out if the price is right :p

Not got experiance, but have done lots of research in this area (wrote a 21,500 word project on it). Motec are widely regarded as the best, but not the easiest to use, but the advantage with the pectel is i believe it is compatable with some datalogging systems, depends what you are looking for. I don't think that any would be stand-out-hands-down better than another one.

Why are Motec widely regarded as the best?

Same reason that people think rolex is the best.

Stan, its just misleading when you quote wideband functionality and not mention the extra cost for it.

2005 Nissan Navara
It seems its set in stone in your head its the ecu...the reality of it is, it isnt!
IF you had a megasquirt jobby and were having these problems, then yes, I would suggest an ecu upgrade, but the hardware you have now is more than up to the job.
The on-paper-spec isnt like with a pc or laptop, where if its faster on paper, it usually is....you arent going to notice any difference in driving smoothness from a tiny bit more resolution on the map base, or sample rate of the processor! What you have is fine, its the calibration which is at fault!

Mapping is quite easy..its easy to see if u increase a number in this box, you see this much more on the lambda gauge etc....the art of it, which reflect massively the end result in terms of output and usability/smoothness etc, is understanding EXACTLY what, why and how you are changing the attributes of combustion, and therefore of the engine. This is what makes the difference.

I take it you are the same Mark who emailed me a few months back about mapping?

In any case, I can offer the details of the only other person whom touches my engines/cars..I cant emphasise enough how s**t hot he is at mapping! He's based in Carlisle,.and guaranteed he will have it running as it should. It might be a couple of hours drive from wherever you are based, but its well worth it. I drive 330miles to him for mapping, and will contnue to do so until I have my dyno.

IMO you are better off taking it to someone who actually knows whats what, than spend twice as much to buy a whole new set-up, and a few hundred more with someone who will do a half-cocked job....again.

clio 200 F4Rt
like its been said, ECU's are only as good as the map.

on my old saxo VTS track car, i ran ITB's with OMEX and it ran like a dream, better than standard management i woudl say.

so i kinda find it hard to see how your omex is doing such a bad job other than the map on it.

But anywho, if you wanna change, then go for it.

i havent experienced any of the mentioned setups.

Although joe (of shed motorsport) whilst doing his motorsport engineering degree always spoke of how with his tutors, MoTec was always knows as SlowTec?!?!? make what you will of that!

clio 200 F4Rt
like its been said, ECU's are only as good as the map.

on my old saxo VTS track car, i ran ITB's with OMEX and it ran like a dream, better than standard management i woudl say.

so i kinda find it hard to see how your omex is doing such a bad job other than the map on it.

But anywho, if you wanna change, then go for it.

i havent experienced any of the mentioned setups.

Although joe (of shed motorsport) whilst doing his motorsport engineering degree always spoke of how with his tutors, MoTec was always knows as SlowTec?!?!? make what you will of that!

I probably sound like I am trying to talk myself into a new ECU but...

The £1500 ECU must be in a different league to the £600 ECU. I cant believe that the more expensive ECUs do not do things better. Or are the things they do better not worth the extra on a road car?

clio 200 F4Rt
i am guessing it depends on what your engine needs mark.

Latest EVO's etc, using variable valve timing, turbo's etc etc would need alot more from an ecu than a t/b clio.

Plus then they give you the options of full throttle gearshifts, antilag systems etc etc. stuff that a latest turbo lumpe etc would need.

Plus stuff liek the Motec has the option to use thier dash system, whcih probably ramps the price up.

When i had my saxo, the entire engine ran on about 4 sensor (throttle pot, air temp, water temp, crank position) and that was about it. nice and simple.

i am guessing no one on here has run anything other than an Omex?

2005 Nissan Navara
I use Emerald and KMS...usin gmore KMS now tho.

Yes, they are more expensive for a reason...extra functions, extra aux outputs etc, faster sample rates, etc...but its horses for courses...you dont need all that on a simple road/track NA application.

However..its not as if the Omex isnt up to the job. Its probably on par with Emerald...which does the job more than fine.

I really dont see the point in you spending £1500 on another ecu, whereas you could get yours sorted for £400.