ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failure - Mainly springs and exhaust

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Hi all

I purchased a PH1 Clio 172 Exclusive about a month ago and today thought I'd put it through a MOT to see exactly what was wrong with it.. unfortunately it's failed on one front, one rear coil spring being incomplete, a couple of holes in the exhaust system and the exhaust emissions (plus a couple of things I can sort).. the chap in the test centre said the emissions could be due to the holes in the exhaust, sound about right?

how hard are the coil spring to change on a 172 please? have done them on my old Astra... also do the springs only fit a 172 or any Clio?

Any help gratefully recieved :)

I've attached the fail notices..

Attachments

• MOT1.jpg
    MOT1.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 113
  • MOT2.jpg
    MOT2.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 112
  Listerine & Poledo
changing springs should be no different in difficulty.

getting the right ones may be the trick, there are many different 173 springs (mostly for ph.2's though)

Listerine & Poledo
I'd say that you should change springs in pairs, yes.

As for it thaose are the correct ones, I can;t help you there. Best off asking one of the traders, they may be cheaper too!

Mk1 172 Exclusive
I'd say that you should change springs in pairs, yes.

As for it thaose are the correct ones, I can;t help you there. Best off asking one of the traders, they may be cheaper too!

Thanks.. been looking around and most have lowering springs.. but I'm not really into lowered cars..

Clio 197
springs are easy - well they were on my cup as you dont even need spring compressors :) if your going to keep the car and fancy a decent brand go for eibachs - these were cheaper than getting new from RUK

i would advise against getting a cheapo pattern part exhaust as i had trouble getting mine to seal properly (changed it now) and compared to the milltek i have now the pattern part is about as thick as a straw! either go fully stainless or OE

Mk1 172 Exclusive
springs are easy - well they were on my cup as you dont even need spring compressors :) if your going to keep the car and fancy a decent brand go for eibachs - these were cheaper than getting new from RUK

i would advise against getting a cheapo pattern part exhaust as i had trouble getting mine to seal properly (changed it now) and compared to the milltek i have now the pattern part is about as thick as a straw! either go fully stainless or OE

the system that is on there atm is stainless from the CAT back.. plan to get it all off and have a good look at it and then decide.. hoping if I can repair the holes then it might pass the emission :)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I think the springs will fit any 1*2, its just the shocks/hub setups that are different between non-cup and cupped models I believe. These springs had only done 30k but I swapped them out for Sportlines

Mk1 172 Exclusive
I think the springs will fit any 1*2, its just the shocks/hub setups that are different between non-cup and cupped models I believe. These springs had only done 30k but I swapped them out for Sportlines

do you have fronts and backs? how much you looking for please?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Im after £30 for all 4. Someone else has posted up they want some in a thread above you, so first come first served.

Mk1 172 Exclusive
still not managed to get any springs yet.. a friend has a set of lowering springs from a mk 2 1.2.. does anyone know please if they will fit mine?

Clio 197
still not managed to get any springs yet.. a friend has a set of lowering springs from a mk 2 1.2.. does anyone know please if they will fit mine?

i wouldnt say so, for speed and quick turnaround (do you have 14 working days to have your retest? ) i would walk into a local motor factors place and get the springs, they will sort you out get you through the MOT

Also if your exhaust is stainless it shouldnt have holes in it (it could have cracked however) best bet is get it jacked up with axle stands and have a nosey

Mk1 172 Exclusive
yeh there was a crack due the the rear mount being knackered and lots of pressure being put on the pipe..

Mk1 172 Exclusive
after some advice please.... this evening I replaced both rear springs but when I tried to do the front unfortunately could not do the drivers side due to the top nut being seized. We covered the nut and the end of the thread a lubricating oil but that did not work and we managed to mangle 2 6mm allen keys.. any suggestions please?

Mk1 172 Exclusive
after some advice please.... this evening I replaced both rear springs but when I tried to do the front unfortunately could not do the drivers side due to the top nut being seized. We covered the nut and the end of the thread a lubricating oil but that did not work and we managed to mangle 2 6mm allen keys.. any suggestions please?

anyone about to help please?

Clio 197
anyone about to help please?

try looseing it with a socket first when the car is on the ground (if the spring starts turning then leave it), also if you have access to a decent socket set, allen key sockets are much better than the hand held ones.

Mental 172 Cup
failing that if you get stuck pop round to any garage and get them to buzz the mounts off with an airgun and then refit them loosly,

Mk1 172 Exclusive
did the rear without too many issues.. but the driver front is proving a 'swine' luckily my old man is an engineer so is going to pick up some good 6 mm allen keys from work and hopefully that will do the trick.. if not will take a trip to a local garage..