ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT fail

clio 182FF
Hi everyone,

just had my MOT and the car failed for having a broken front suspension coil.

I said to the garage if they could sort it and i will of course pay what it costs. Anyone have any ideas of costs?

Also im abit worried about the mix up between cup and non cupped suspension? From the fact my car has the cup spolier, anthracite wheels and a front splitter i would assume i have a cup packed clio and so have the cup suspension also - Does this setup use a different spring and if so would the garage be able to get this part just by ordering according to the number plate of the car? Im just a little worried i will end up with different springs!

thanks for any help and hope you understand what im getting at!

Halfords Autocentre try to charge me around 550 pounds to replace all four

180 to replace 1 coil.

Did the job myself cost 30 pound for a full set of OEM 2nd hand springs :)

clio 182FF
I have seen these sportlines mentioned, do they lower the car and is it just the front two springs? Any positive or negative effect on handling? and if i rang the garage tomorrow morning would they be able to get this for me or is it something i would have to sort?

Could probably get next day delivery from Kamracing.

In answer to Q's:

4xsprings
lowers 30mm
Handling improved, little to no sacrifice in comfort.

Last edited:
  225 Cup & Williams
I have seen these sportlines mentioned, do they lower the car and is it just the front two springs? Any positive or negative effect on handling? and if i rang the garage tomorrow morning would they be able to get this for me or is it something i would have to sort?

They lower about 15-20 mm. Postive effects handling wise a lot let body roll. Better off sourcing the yourself they come up for sale on here often or you could buy a new set from the likes of Kam racing.

mk 2 clio
mine failed on a front coil spring in june, its like a half hour job yourself and not too much to buy a new spring, i only got a standard one though. rather that loads of money and no car for however long they take, just do it yourself

clio 182FF
thanks for all the help people! Im a little undecided as to what to do as the OEM springs are expensive but from looking at some pics of the sportlines there seems to be a huge variation. Some cars show the rear wheels sitting inside the arches which i HATE and i would never like that look. A 20mm drop or so as mentioned above would be great especially if body roll and handling is slightly improved. Would usually do something like this myself anyway but its currently at the garage and with work and the car being off the road currently im really not sure if i can be bothered this time with the hassle of it! lazy i know but its so annoying not having a car! Are there different versions for cup and non cupped suspension geometry or are they universal?

sorry for all these questions, just trying to make my mind up what to do! Thanks again for all replies, very helpful!

A.N. Other
Ask Wests Renault (on here) for prices for a pair of standard springs, they may be able to offer a tempting price to persuade you to stay standard & avoid the hassle.

thanks for all the help people! Im a little undecided as to what to do as the OEM springs are expensive but from looking at some pics of the sportlines there seems to be a huge variation. Some cars show the rear wheels sitting inside the arches which i HATE and i would never like that look. A 20mm drop or so as mentioned above would be great especially if body roll and handling is slightly improved. Would usually do something like this myself anyway but its currently at the garage and with work and the car being off the road currently im really not sure if i can be bothered this time with the hassle of it! lazy i know but its so annoying not having a car! Are there different versions for cup and non cupped suspension geometry or are they universal?

Sportlines will not do that and they will fit cup and non cup.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
You've made a mistake of telling the garage that you will just pay, that's like giving them an open cheque book.

Ask Wests Renault (on here) for prices for a pair of standard springs, they may be able to offer a tempting price to persuade you to stay standard & avoid the hassle.

Even then they shall still be more expensive than a set of four sportlines!

OP i have never seen any clios on sportlines with the wheels sitting under the arches ...they lower a maximum of circa 25mm

clio 182FF
Thanks again for all the advice guys, you were all very helpful so thanks again for that. As an update the car got fixed earlier than expected - it was due to be done monday but they managed to do it today in the end so being at work all day i had no chance to sort out the possibility of getting sportlines!

Had a new spring at the cost of £60 which i thought was pretty good and car has now of course passed :) From looking into these sportlines i think it may be something i may plan in the future as it looks like a pretty good upgrade with the better handling and a slightly lower ride height. Think next i will be looking at tyres as they werent put as an advisory but i was told they are starting to lose it... probably looking at trying to get 4 michelin exaltos, any thoughts on these? I know there are PE2's and 3's? any main differences? In 205/45/r16 they seem hard to find but i saw some for £110 a tyre for pe2's, does that sound about right?

thanks again guys and to those who mentioned about saying to the garage to sort it all out, its ok as the guy who is part of the family business is a good friend of mine so i trust their judgement and not ripping me off with anything!