ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail - High Emissions

CLIO 182 CUP
need some help.

i've failed the emissions test by a big amount see results below:-

FAST IDLE TEST....... LIMIT ........ACTUAL
CO....................... 0.3%vol .......8.36%vol FAIL
HC ........................200PPM .......362PPM FAIL
Lambda ...................1.03........... 0.76 FAIL

now the thing is its just had a full service 3weeks ago which was spark plugs, oil, cambelt and timing belt and also had a new ktec ultra performance exhaust.

The car runs great, it's not lumpy and its not misfiring.
so since the MOT yesterday i have had a full diagnoses on the car which showed no faults.

i also took the cat off and it looks clean and it isn't blocked.

therefore has anyone any ideas what the problem is because i'm totally baffled. could it be the lambda sensors???

the test centre may have performed the test when the car was cold making it fail its test but this wouldn't make a massive difference to the results would it. i don't want to get the cat really hot just to pass the test because i really want my car to be right

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  Megane 230 F1
Could be forward lambda - I replaced mine about a month before the MOT and it passed with flying colours on the emissions.

You do need to get the engine/exhaust hot before an MOT as the mixture is very rich while warming up. (The test centre should let it warm up before testing from cold)

CLIO 182 CUP
exhaust shouldn't change the emissions if the cat has been left on. so i don't see it being that, but i could be wrong. would like to know other peoples experiences.

it was MOT'd at a garage i don't normally use, its close to work and i don't get chance to use my local MOT centre now i've moved jobs.

TrackCar & F30 330d
It will not be the exhaust, the ehxaust does nothing for the emmisions.

Go for a drive and come back to the garage make sure they test it when its hot. If not then go to another garage mate.

RS CLIO 197
all the readings are on the rich side - could quite easily be that it was not up to full temperature - strange if it is - could they trying to pull a fast one - fail it on emmissions and then charge you for work they dont do apart from letting it warm up correctly......

get it hot and get the emissions tested at another vosa approved garage i would say

Twingo rs133
all the readings are on the rich side - could quite easily be that it was not up to full temperature - strange if it is - could they trying to pull a fast one - fail it on emmissions and then charge you for work they dont do apart from letting it warm up correctly......

get it hot and get the emissions tested at another vosa approved garage i would say
I agree get it done at another garage it is comin up to christmas so he mite need to earn some extra £s that means robbin people of there money.

My ZR failed an emissions test on IDLE as it wasn't warmed up enough. After the fans had kicked in to cool the engine after the fast idle test, it passed. Next time, have a good drive before the MOT if you can, to get the car warmed up properly.

ValverInBits
if you perform the test with the engine cold, you havent a hope in hell. Always give the car a good blatt before doing emissions testing.
These normally point to a faulty upstream lambda sensor. I changed the sensor on my 172 twice while owning it. Helped idle and MPG massively.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Firstly i would check for leaks on the exhaust joints! if the lambda is out everything else goes tits up, and minor blows will cause this!

CLIO 182 CUP
the exhaust has been checked and has no leaks. i'm going to an auto electrician tonight and he's going to test the lambda sensors for me so hopefully its just one of those.

cheers

CLIO 182 CUP
just to confirm my lambda sensor is knackered. its the one that was originally in front of the CAT which is gone so hopefully when i get my new one, all should be good.