ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Money to spend on parts for 172 track car

Clio 172, Volvo XC90
finally sold my other toy. Im now left with about 800 quid spare to buy some parts for my clio 172 track car so whats good to buy can people give me some recommendations of parts i need, the car is a trailer queen at the min so no TAX or MOT

DSCF4114.jpg

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?628997-Project-172-track-car

so far the clio has

front and back strut braces
full stainless exhaust
182 manifold
camber bolts
remapped
matched inlets
CDA air filter
eibach springs on standard front shocks, but uprated rear shocks
Brembo drilled and grooved discs with ebc pads
stripped interior with bucket seat and harness

so how to spend £800

i was looking at a whiteline ARB, oil cooler but do they make a difference
Smaller race style battery

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Coilovers from me, for that budget either Spax RSX's or FK Konigsports

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cup front shocks, a good service, and keep the rest in case anything goes wrong rather than buy something just for the sake of it, sounds like its probably good fun already.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't bother with a diff.

Why do you say that? Just the cost I assume?

Its about the best handling mod you can make to these cars really, but conversely its also very expensive and you have to question if its worth spending the value of the car on one mod like that.

It's just not worth it for the price.

For racing....yes. The burpspeed guys really benefit from having theirs, BUT....it's freakin expensive....a ball ache to fit....and the gains are marginal. If you're spinning the inside wheel everywhere, then learn to drive better.

I just think there are far better ways of spending that sort of money.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's just not worth it for the price.

For racing....yes. The burpspeed guys really benefit from having theirs, BUT....it's freakin expensive....a ball ache to fit....and the gains are marginal. If you're spinning the inside wheel everywhere, then learn to drive better.

I just think there are far better ways of spending that sort of money.

Very well put mate, couldnt agree more in the case of the clio with them being so expensive and a ballache to fit.
For some cars its the first mod I recommend more or less, on an XE corsa for example, its 500 quid to buy, and 2 hours to fit so makes sense, but the clio is such a ballache in terms of the hassle (box quite hard to get in and out and then needs partial stripdown to fit the diff) and also the gearboxes are weak so its not like once its done its done for long before you need the box out again to put it in another one or to rebuild that one, which if you are paying someone else to do the work is going to really add up.

Yep. It's a shame they're so much work on the Clios. For a lot of other cars, the diff itself is half the price of the Clio ones!

If I still had my track Clio, I would certainly be spending that sort of money on either the track days themselves, or tyres/fuel etc for the days themselves.

Spend the money having fun, not so you can go 1 second per lap quicker :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Yep. It's a shame they're so much work on the Clios. For a lot of other cars, the diff itself is half the price of the Clio ones!

If I still had my track Clio, I would certainly be spending that sort of money on either the track days themselves, or tyres/fuel etc for the days themselves.

Spend the money having fun, not so you can go 1 second per lap quicker :)

I have a Plated Gripper Diff in my Clio... and you are 100% right

You got an ExigeS now? I think they would be better with a diff. I will put one in mine when the JUBU gearset finally arrives.

Yup! I've noticed the diffs are a bit cheaper than the Clio ones.

I'm not too bothered about fitting one, certainly not anytime soon that's for sure.