ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mods at 19 on insurance... How!?

I've just been on confused.com and trying to find my own insurance policy (Hate being on mums and being a named driver, just want to start my own, be independant, earn NCB etc etc) Got a quote from engsleigh for £2107.10 which tbh I thought was pretty dam good (Im 19, No NCB, driving for 7 months, declared leather seats aswell) Im in the group buy for the BMC Induction Kit and thought I better ask the people at endsleigh how much it would go up, called them up, clueless women answers the phone, has to keep running around asking people questions lol mensioned the words 'Induction Kit' to her and she said "erm.. ok Sir, with an Induction Kit on your current quote.. erm.. It has now gone from £2107.10 upto £3180.50p."

"erm... WHY!!?!1?!"

How come it goes up so much for just an Induction Kit!? I mensioned its the same as an air filter and she says thats what she clicked on.... :( IM hating life at the moment now because its basically impossible to even begin to try and mod my beautiful 1.4. I've tried Quinn, Admiral, Hasting Direct, Direct line, Tesco, Virgin and Swinton and there all over £3000 with interior "mod" and an air filter!!

Maybe somebody could do some searching for me.. will pay £10 for the person who finds the best quote lol Just joking.
Has anyone got any advise for me? Is here anyone in the same situation as me (that has a crap postcode for insurance)

Sorry to rant but really frustrated :'(

Adam

Megane 225
I've just been on confused.com and trying to find my own insurance policy (Hate being on mums and being a named driver, just want to start my own, be independant, earn NCB etc etc) Got a quote from engsleigh for £2107.10 which tbh I thought was pretty dam good (Im 19, No NCB, driving for 7 months, declared leather seats aswell) Im in the group buy for the BMC Induction Kit and thought I better ask the people at endsleigh how much it would go up, called them up, clueless women answers the phone, has to keep running around asking people questions lol mensioned the words 'Induction Kit' to her and she said "erm.. ok Sir, with an Induction Kit on your current quote.. erm.. It has now gone from £2107.10 upto £3180.50p."

"erm... WHY!!?!1?!"

How come it goes up so much for just an Induction Kit!? I mensioned its the same as an air filter and she says thats what she clicked on.... :( IM hating life at the moment now because its basically impossible to even begin to try and mod my beautiful 1.4. I've tried Quinn, Admiral, Hasting Direct, Direct line, Tesco, Virgin and Swinton and there all over £3000 with interior "mod" and an air filter!!

Maybe somebody could do some searching for me.. will pay £10 for the person who finds the best quote lol Just joking.
Has anyone got any advise for me? Is here anyone in the same situation as me (that has a crap postcode for insurance)

Sorry to rant but really frustrated :'(

Adam

Not sure about age limits/driving experience required etc.. but try www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk

They're supposed to be mod friendly and are clued up on jargon

M2 Competition
If you use confused, the quotes always seem to come back higher mate, must be how they make their money. Try elephant, bell or tesco. And worst comes to the worst, just dont mod your car until you have a years no claims bonus.

If you use confused, the quotes always seem to come back higher mate, must be how they make their money. Try elephant, bell or tesco. And worst comes to the worst, just dont mod your car until you have a years no claims bonus.

lol but its sooo hard... could be my only option though :( theres just so many things I've bourght ready to wack on my car.. school boy error I think, should of consulted insurance before hand.

Will try some of the insurers posted. Cheers guys

I bloody hate insurers, especially here on guernsey, theyre so incionsistent, 1500 for my mates 1.2 and 700 for another mates vtr? Police and insurers just try and stop us having any fun!!!!:dapprove:

Mustang, S13, AX GT
take out the policy as a standard car, then ring them up later and ask how much it would extra it would cost to put on the induction kit and seats. I got a quote for my clio without alloys last year it cam back as £930, I got a quote with it came back as £1600+. I took out the standard policy then rang back about a month later and added alloys, lowered suspension, sideskirts and an exhaust system and they added £450ish, making the whole policy still 'only' £1400ish.

Adrian Flux.... only put the premium up for performance mods

Ye its the Induction Kit I told them I might be buying that raised the price by so much.

take out the policy as a standard car, then ring them up later and ask how much it would extra it would cost to put on the induction kit and seats. I got a quote for my clio without alloys last year it cam back as £930, I got a quote with it came back as £1600+. I took out the standard policy then rang back about a month later and added alloys, lowered suspension, sideskirts and an exhaust system and they added £450ish, making the whole policy still 'only' £1400ish.

I might try this tbh, Thanks Kneel. Alot of my mates who are my age living near me (almost same postcode etc) they all insured there cars then about a month down the line started putting there mods on and it was significantly cheaper.

Are you getting fully comp quotes?

How much is your car worth?

Thanks

Sam

Hi mate, Im after fully comp quotes and my cars value is around £4000 (well thats what I put down on the websites/when I call.)

Fully Comp just seems the right way to go on a £4000 machine, don't really fancy losing that much money if I wrote it off.

I so don't want to go back to being a named driver, just want my hassle free own insurance where they can't try and void your insurance for silly reasons! I will probabaly just go for the quote I got at £2107.10p and then try and add mods on later on.... my only worry being if its still stupidly high prices when I try to insure any mods in 2 months time etc :(

Adam

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Its harsh as i found out.

Ive had my own policy since day 1....

Did not mod my first car i had for 3 years.
Got my clio then started changing bits slowly....even after 4 years of driving insurance was costly.

Just keeps adding up and up, but made sure i was legal all the way thru :)

Monaco 172 2/468
I don't think you have mentioned in here that you have only been driving for 6 months ish, that's one reason why the quotes are so stupid. As i've told you 800 times, ring Adrian Flux you fag :cool:

your being raped bloor!!i am paying £1053 fully comp for my 1.6 mk2 with no NCB, being 19 and driving for 1 year but i dont think 5 months will make up 1k!

im insured with barclays,who are actually using norwich union.i live in hinckley and mines a band c for crime rating on the old post code thingy.thats with no mods but norwich union in the past havent put mine up for much.
a bmc wont increase the performance so i would say you replaced it with the standard one as it worked out cheaper due to your air housing becoming damaged and renault wanting £££s for a new one...

S13
I was paying £700 on my 1.2 with coilovers, induction kit, exhaust, alloys, tints and harnesses before I got raped by the Met for my licence. Edit - that was with a years no claims.

Try Elephant, but do what Kneel said and sort the mods out later, try doing it online as well 'cos they charge even less then - I rang up to put my exhaust on, they wanted £60 on the phone I said forget it, did it online later it cost me a fiver!

If you can resist, don't get into the modding scene lol

It devalues your car and sucks all your money in!

Wisest words someone ever told me were ' If you want a faster car, buy a fast car'

ur megane r26
your being raped bloor!!i am paying £1053 fully comp for my 1.6 mk2 with no NCB, being 19 and driving for 1 year but i dont think 5 months will make up 1k!

alright mate who are you insuring with as i am 18, 19 in october, 1 years no claims and wana get a 1.6 16v shortly would be cool to hear cheers

Clio Mk1
dont tell the insurance youve got mods even simpler

And if you do have an accident and there discovered you can look forward to no payout. And a possible court case for driving without insurance.

you had an accident then with mods and not declaried on insurance ? becuase i know quiet a few people that have had accidents not declaring mods and nothink done about it and they got a pay out

Mustang, S13, AX GT
And if you do have an accident and there discovered you can look forward to no payout. And a possible court case for driving without insurance.

you had an accident then with mods and not declaried on insurance ? becuase i know quiet a few people that have had accidents not declaring mods and nothink done about it and they got a pay out
I had an accident without declaring mods, they paid for certain damaged areas but the modified bits they didn't replace, even with standard parts and they charged me £480-ish for the mods done. I got a lucky escape but I feel much much happier having it all insured, definately not worth the risk.
If my insurance was voided I would have had probably around £5-6k of damage to pay for both cars, I would have been done for driving without insurance and would have been bent over if the other driver made a personal injury claim. Also you're telling some-one on a public forum to break the law dude ;)

How do these 9 month quotes work which you get 1 years NCB at the end of it? Norwich Union said they do a Bonus Speed package or summat which they give you 1 years NCB after 9 months. Can I only use this 1 yrs NCB with NU or will I be able to switch it over in say 2 years time?

Thanks

P.S. Hate Insurance companies, they don't explain anything to me on the phone, just ask Sort code and account number please!

'52 clio 1.2 16V
what about companies that offer ncb for named drivers. i know tesco and i think direct line offer this

only thing about the bonus accelerator is it then commits you to them the following year as the bonus accelerator only counts with norwich union no one else

Mustang, S13, AX GT
However if you do the bonus accelarator with bell, the no claims are all yours after 10 months :D

If I used the parents on there and sued there NCB wouldn't they have to swap there NCB from there existing cars over to mine?