ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modified car insurance Issues

I'm currently trying to get a quote for my non-sport 1.2 16v, with mods. Im having massive trouble with insurers as they are saying the coilovers are too low, or because it has coilovers they will not insure. it.

Basically best ive had is £1388 fully comp via adrian flux.
However I can get it with elephant online for £1141, if I say they coilovers drop it under 50mm.

Tried brentacre they couldn't come close, Sky and greenlight dont insure M postcodes.

Anybody else I can try for modified car insurance in Manchester?

2ncb, 1 fault claim. im 21, had my licence nearly 4 years.

Seem's expensive to me, considering I can insure it un-modifed for £800.

LY200
for my 1.6, 1year ncb, 2 fault accidents, im 20, 2.5 years driving, 2000 to insure it standard, and an extra 200 for the following mods, buckets, harnesses, show cage, lowered suspension <5cm (coilovers) and non standard alloys. thats with elephant

for my 1.6, 1year ncb, 2 fault accidents, im 20, 2.5 years driving, 2000 to insure it standard, and an extra 200 for the following mods, buckets, harnesses, show cage, lowered suspension <5cm (coilovers) and non standard alloys. thats with elephant

;) <5cm eh!

I was with Admiral on my modified 1.2.

2003 (53 plate) Clio 1.2 16v Extreme II
Lowered on coilovers 50mm
Tints
Exhaust system
Standard Dynamique Alloys were also on there (supposedly had to tell them)

Cost just over £1000.

That was about 2 years ago now (when I was 19 with 0ncb). I changed to the 172 at renewal time and the price was pretty much the same.

ha! yea thats what i told them, tbh im not far wrong really

Yeah, I tried the 5-12.5cm one and they said they wouldn't cover me with it being that low.

Whut.

My 200 is cheaper than that and I'm 20. 1 year ncb and 1 fault/2non fault accidents.

Tried Admiral?
Online yes, about £50 more than elephant. 200 is going to be cheaper as well due to crash statistics and postcode

I'm just struggling to find anybody who will insure the coilovers at the height they are at.

elephant and admiral are the same company and elephant turned out cheaper for me, what you payin on the 200?
It's between 900 and 1k atm. Don't have an exact number as the policy was suspended for 6 weeks while I waited on my new car.

Online yes, about £50 more than elephant. 200 is going to be cheaper as well due to crash statistics and postcode

I'm just struggling to find anybody who will insure the coilovers at the height they are at.

I had a 172 cup on the same policy before the 200 and it was cheaper.....

I'm with Flux, didnt have to tell them the drop ive got with my coilovers :S

Yeah flux didnt ask me that, but they best they came out with is still pretty high.

Just been playing with my elephant quote online, Lowered my annual mileage (as I wont be traveling to uni everyday next year it will drop a lot) Changed my mum from nurse - nhs to nurse non nhs (which she technically is). It dropped by £200.

Mod's declared + covered now = £890. win.

Yeah flux didnt ask me that, but they best they came out with is still pretty high.

Just been playing with my elephant quote online, Lowered my annual mileage (as I wont be traveling to uni everyday next year it will drop a lot) Changed my mum from nurse - nhs to nurse non nhs (which she technically is). It dropped by £200.

Mod's declared + covered now = £890. win.

Thats more like it :D

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Jon,

Thats pretty pricey, mine has just renewed today on the 182 (i'm 22) and live round the corner from you. Mine came to £1200.

Thats with 2 years NCD, and a fault accident.

Mines with Admiral, but the best price I got was with Bell and Admiral matched it being sister companies. I have the excess set at £1000 voluntary because i'm lead to believe that if you have an accident and dont claim on your own car then you don't pay the excess so its essentially 3rd Party. So maybe give that a try.

Inaddition to this stangely its £80 per year cheaper for me to park it on the road than on the driveway. Doesnt really bother me as we have plenty of other cars that fill the drive so mines now kept on the road.

O and stick a grandparent on there Oli's insurance came down by £100 when he did that! unfortunatly I no longer have any so can't do that.

Let us know how you get on.

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Im with admiral, but because im a tight arse i wen tpft, but i've got 3years ncb, with no accidents with mods, tpft was 320 i think back in august and i did enquire about fully comp and that was about 500 ish, and im 21 as well been driving since feb 2007

Arctic 182 + yozza
2ncb, 1 fault claim. im 21, had my licence nearly 4 years.

Seem's expensive to me, considering I can insure it un-modifed for £800.

im 21, 1 fault claim and 3 points and my insurance on my 182 with mods is £900, lol. living in manchester must suck!

Jon,

Thats pretty pricey, mine has just renewed today on the 182 (i'm 22) and live round the corner from you. Mine came to £1200.

Mines with Admiral, but the best price I got was with Bell and Admiral matched it being sister companies. I have the excess set at £1000 voluntary because i'm lead to believe that if you have an accident and dont claim on your own car then you don't pay the excess so its essentially 3rd Party. So maybe give that a try.

Inaddition to this stangely its £80 per year cheaper for me to park it on the road than on the driveway. Doesnt really bother me as we have plenty of other cars that fill the drive so mines now kept on the road.

O and stick a grandparent on there Oli's insurance came down by £100 when he did that! unfortunatly I no longer have any so can't do that.

Just had another go with the whole parking on the road thing, and knocked another £70 off. I usually park on the road as well. The excess doesn't make much difference went from £350 to £1000 and dropped by £100, and for the sake of what its worth there is no point.

Unfortunately non of my grandparents drive so thats out the window for me as well.

I see you've got a 172 as well now.

Adz

Work van
ive just renewed mine with Admiral and it was something like £803 im 20 with 1 years ncb been driving for 3 years all mods delcared coilovers, wheels, sport rear bumper, colour coded bumpers, bigger front brakes, full exhaust system and induction kit was well happy :approve: give them a try

ive just renewed mine with Admiral and it was something like £803 im 20 with 1 years ncb been driving for 3 years all mods delcared coilovers, wheels, sport rear bumper, colour coded bumpers, bigger front brakes, full exhaust system and induction kit was well happy :approve: give them a try

Admiral/Elephant/Bell are all sister companies. Elephant work out better for me.

Jon,

O and stick a grandparent on there Oli's insurance came down by £100 when he did that! unfortunately I no longer have any so can't do that.

I'd be very careful with that one.

I was in a non fault accident last year. Liability was never disputed as the police reports etc all held the 3rd party accountable.

Before the garage would release my car I had to pay my excess. I'm fortunate enough that my old man helped me out there but the excess was not returned untill just before xmas. The accident happened in July.

Unless you got 1g sitting there that you wont miss untill a claim is settled then sweet, but if not then I'd be getting that excess lowered a little...

LY200
Can any one give me any tips on cheap insurance?? Im getting silly quotes like 4000! 1ncb, 2 fault accidents, nearly 3 years driving. Anyone?? I'm getting so jealous!!!!

LY200
Cheers, any good reasonable insurers? Adrian flux wanted 3000 on a 1.6, I'm paying 2000 on a 1.6 with elephant now...

Try tweaking things like where the car is kept, mileage etc.

I wouldn't get massivly hung up on prices, as There are a lot of factors. I was just interested to see who else did modified car insurance.

You might have some luck with sky/greenlight/brentacre as they will hopefully cover your postcode unlike mine. Like Pete said as well, maybe put a grandparent on it as well. Even if they have claims it could still bring it down (my dad has a TS10, and still brought my quote down putting him on it)

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Just had another go with the whole parking on the road thing, and knocked another £70 off. I usually park on the road as well. The excess doesn't make much difference went from £350 to £1000 and dropped by £100, and for the sake of what its worth there is no point.

Unfortunately non of my grandparents drive so thats out the window for me as well.

I see you've got a 172 as well now.

Glad you managed to get some more money off I really cannot understand the whole cheaper on the road business... they gave me some bulls**t reasoning that its because your drive might be shaded and offer protection to someone wanting to steal your car. I was like but my drive doesn't!! She then said as long as its on the road MORE than its on the drive your ok. So I can keep it on the drive for 49% of the time.

And yea the 172, I thought just a 182 wasn't enough for me.
The 172s going to be for the track, I've got it stripped now, progress is a bit slower than I'd hoped on it as the weathers been rubbish and I've had alot to do. Hoping to do a few days at Oulton Park towards the end of the year.

I'd be very careful with that one.

I was in a non fault accident last year. Liability was never disputed as the police reports etc all held the 3rd party accountable.

Before the garage would release my car I had to pay my excess. I'm fortunate enough that my old man helped me out there but the excess was not returned untill just before xmas. The accident happened in July.

Unless you got 1g sitting there that you wont miss untill a claim is settled then sweet, but if not then I'd be getting that excess lowered a little...

Yeah I'm careful with my money, I have plenty to cover such an event.

Would be good if someone like Sky can clarify what I said, to ensure its correct. (If you see this)