ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 RSi Gearbox Help

mgt

172 cup
Hoping someone can help with a gearbox problem!

Noticed a few peeps have got the 1.6 RSi on here, lovely little motor but unfortunately the gearbox on mine sounds like its going to die any minute...

Rang renault and they have quoted the gearbox as a JB3-958 and want £1300 quid new lol.

So i'm going down the breakers route.... does anyone know if I can fit any JB3 box? Do the numbers after JB3 have any real significance? As they made so few of this model it seems unlikely I will find an exact JB3-958 soon enough second hand.

Also if anyone has had any experience with changing the gearbox and can throw any pointers my way i'd be grateful!

The chassis code is CB0T if that helps

Cheers

Matt

Yep any JC3 or 5 box will fit. Numbers indicate the ratios in them.

You need to check yyto see if your car has a gearbox sensor ir should do if fo your selection is a bit more limited as later JC£ and 5's don't have a hole for the sensor as they used the ABS for speedo info you need one to make the speedo work.

Swopping gearbox isn't to bad drop the subframe a bit lover engine and box a bit and pull of.

mgt

172 cup
Its only done 55k! Can't understand it really as I don't hammer it.

Would there be any benefit of swapping to a JC5 over a JB3?

Also where would I find the gearbox sensor?

Thanks for the help!

mgt said:
Its only done 55k! Can't understand it really as I don't hammer it.

Would there be any benefit of swapping to a JC5 over a JB3?

Also where would I find the gearbox sensor?
You have checked the box has some oil they can leak.

JC5 is better but no point chnaging unless you find one with very similar ratios as you might get a hammered JC5.