ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 172 Alloys

Does anyone else think it was shady for renault to release the Dynamique with very similar wheels to the 172, 5 spoke.

It makes my 1.2 16v look like the real McCoy, after all it is black and if you squint your eyes and tilt your head its a 172.........honest.

Do you 172 guys feel it dilutes your image......Interested to hear from you.:D

When I first got my Dynamique back in Feb I managed to convince my bro it was a 172, but when he started asking question about whether Renault had fitted smaller wheels to mine I knew he was on to me.

Down my way (Wirral) Ive only seen standard 172 clios and not many at that.

there are a couple of obvious differences

smaller wheels on the dynamique

the spokes are different - the 172 has straight bumps on them, and the dynamique has curved bumps on the spoker

I personally feel that the black 172 is the least 172 looking of the lot. When I bought mine, I chose black because I genuinely think its the best looking colour for a car (kind of menacing looking), but I failed to realise that non-172 Clios in black also have black colour coding!! A silver, red or blue 172 is unmistakable IMO because of the obvious colour coding, but with black ones, you never can be sure until they get closer.

I still like my colour for what it is, but yes, it doesnt really stand out much.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 04 July 2003
I reckon 99.999% of 172 owners dont have their standard wheels.

I must be a 00.001% then.. :D

I feel so individual and special now..

yep, i agree....dont like 172 wheels. I would have kept any of the other Renault Sport wheels, but not these!! :confused:

The mark 1 172 = nice wheels

Cup = nice wheels

V6 = nice wheels

mark 2 172 = hub cap look a likes!! WHY?????

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by 16v_Ferret on 04 July 2003

It makes my 1.2 16v look like the real McCoy, after all it is black and if you squint your eyes and tilt your head its a 172.........honest.
lol, nah it doesnt ;)

Wide arches, zenons, lower as standard.

Youd have to be squinting a hell of a lot, completely closing your eyes in fact, whilst drunk.

xenon lights are available as an option on the 1.2

i seen one parked up snd thought that it was a strange looking 172, looked at the side moulding and it said 16v

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 05 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 04 July 2003

I reckon 99.999% of 172 owners dont have their standard wheels.

I must be a 00.001% then.. :D

I feel so individual and special now..
Then what the hell does that make me? :eek:

Out on the road the Silver looks the most obvious of the 4 colours. I think its due to the grill looking more obvious. I had a blue one like mine behind me the other day, and I could tell it was a 172, but its certainly not as easy to tell as a silver one.

Lee (Poster formally known as Rod Street)

Id say red and silver look equally obvious as 172s from a distance, simply because its so apparent that they are totally colour coded, and a non-172 red or silver would have obvious black trim around it (unless it had been colour coded).

The blue is pretty easy to spot, but not as easy as those 2 because its a darker colour. Its just the black thats a bugger to ID! Thing is, Ive never seen a black mk2 172 on the roads (apart from mine!) so I cant really say how hard they are to spot - mine certainly gets a lot of looks, but Im aware that its not as blatent as a silver one.

Elise/VX220/R26

Ive only ever seen about 2 172 with non standard alloys, I think they look okay, suit the car.

From a distance maybe , my missus has a black dynamique which looks a little like a sport until she parks it next to mine and then its a totally different story. Arches , bumpers , skirts etc. Nice car for the money compared to what else is on the market, just dont expect them to be anywhere near similar to drive.(nearly binned the 1.2 a few times trying to overtake with no power):oops: