ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 VTS project...

M

mini-valver

Few of you know I've bought a cheao (£500) VTS while the Clio is away. It's on 114k but I bought it on the undertsanding it needed some TLC. This turned out to be a few little odd jobs TBH. The list I had made to sort once I'd picked it up;
  • PAS pump didnt work
  • Handbrake bracket snapped
  • Passenger door didn't shut once you'd opened it
  • Knocking when turning or going over small bumps
  • Bodywork is tatty (Someone has removed the spoiler leaving the holes in the boot, few dents etc)
  • Clutch slipping ever so slightly when changing gear high up the revs
  • Gear linkage was sloppy
  • Gearbox was slighlty noisy but felt crisp
  • Some numpty had put stickers on all the windows and a GAY rear diffuser and "Hello 1990" TSW Venoms.....
This is how it looked when i got it.....
SP_A0055.jpg

SP_A0054.jpg

Yeah, b*****dised.

First thing I did when I got home was get the stickers and splitter off! Left it like this....

DSC00018.jpg

I went out in it that night and being a chav, broke the engine mount!
DSC00010.jpg

Thanks to SBV116 for pointing out that's waht caused the MASSIVE vibrations :eek:

I thought I'd sort the knocking out hile the car was in the air so whipped the wheels off and found the passenger side balljoint was loose in the hub. So ordered a new wishbone and balljoint and put that on....

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

Then thougt I might aswell change the dampers (Thanks Matt (Not Normal) for donating brand new OE ones, and put some 40mm springs on. When I took the top mount off, which was a b*****d by the way, the bearing race fell out! So stripped both side down, cleaned them with paraffin and regreased them....

DSC00018-1.jpg

Too....
DSC00020.jpg

Back together, regreased...
DSC00022.jpg

As I'd taken the dampers and driveshafts out, I thought I might aswell do the clutch and gearbox (I'm off work sick and stupidly bored). So, off came the box..

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

And the Clutch/pressure plate....

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

Now, the frcton plate tself doesnt look too bad, neither does the spring assemlt but theres black glazed patches on the pressure plate which are probably why its slipping top end. The flywheel looks fine and theres no signs of oil anywhere else on it so I dont think the crank seal is gone either. Good news!

New clutch is on anmd I'm picking up a box tommorrow so I'll update it then. Needs to be ready for the Krispy Kreme's meet sunday. Should be fun!

legend mate;) as that lady thing come bombing out of her door in her turbo charged wheelchair again at all??

M

mini-valver

Aye, that's the plan! I bid on Big Iain's rallye wheels but missed out at the last minute :(

Need to do the torsion bar this weekend too or I'll be stuntin' a Saxo hot-rod! Not looking forward to that as it's 10 years old!

Matt, nah but shes give me some funny looks! Wench......

you know your bored of your clio and want concentrate on this as a project and have a nice diesel punto as a runabout....

I'll go back to dreaming shall i?

Good work lad!

Aye, that's the plan! I bid on Big Iain's rallye wheels but missed out at the last minute :(

Need to do the torsion bar this weekend too or I'll be stuntin' a Saxo hot-rod! Not looking forward to that as it's 10 years old!

Matt, nah but shes give me some funny looks! Wench......

tbh lad if your doing the torsion bar......ill pop up with my big yammer for comic value;)

Too sick to go to work but well enough to rag a gearbox out of the car, if I was your boss and found this I'd sack ya ;) lol

Gem

Racing Blue 182
I'm actually starting to soften towards Saxos.....

Only just though. Good work Hudson, kept thee out of mischeif anyways. Apart from with the neighbours of course...;)

M

mini-valver

Too sick to go to work but well enough to rag a gearbox out of the car, if I was your boss and found this I'd sack ya ;) lol

Broke and dislocated my elbow about a month ago so I've been off with that, just staring to get mobility and strength back. Last week I was made redundant because I've been off sick. Not had a great time as of late fella :dapprove:

M

mini-valver

Yeah £150+VAT though! Turning into an expensive time filler, lol. Fallen in love with it though, bags of character :eek:

M

mini-valver

You have to admit though, even with it's dings and dents theres something about it.....Rewarding replacing EVERYTHING on the front end because its all knackered. Feel like I've rescued it, lol......

Hyundai i40
Yeah £150+VAT though! Turning into an expensive time filler, lol. Fallen in love with it though, bags of character :eek:

you chav lover......

good work dave there. the saxos are great, ollie nagging me to get him a vts atm so if you sell it;)

LY 182
clutch looks covered in oil to me! you changing the box?
if so you dont have to worry about that leak..

change the rear main while you are there also, i've done two of these sofar seem quite common

1.2 MK2 PH2
I've had my saxo a week and had problems with overheating when giving it the beans... turns out it was fault fking rad cap O.O cost me 3quid to fix! RIZULT!

Mines that colour too. I told the misses it was f.a.nny Magnet Red...She didn't see the funny side :(

M

mini-valver

clutch looks covered in oil to me! you changing the box?
if so you dont have to worry about that leak..

change the rear main while you are there also, i've done two of these sofar seem quite common

Rear main? As in, crank seal behind the flywheel??

Loves it Dave, Can see what you mean by 'Rescued It' aswell lol What a foookin state it was!

Isn't your 1600 sposed to be back quite soon.... :(

Winners Forever TBFH??

Burgandy 174 sport t
I know what you mean by getting carried away I bought my xsi as a runner and spent what I paid for it again!

M

mini-valver

Only the box to go on and a new PAS pump, lower the rear 40mm, paint the calipers black, wheels and a FULL fetail and polish because its tatty as fook....

Iain, wanted your rallye wheels but I lost out at the last minute. b******s :( I KNow yeah, got attatched to it now! Farking addictive...

M

mini-valver

:D It needs a good PCing under the passenger mirror where someones put a shopping list and removed them with a scourer, lol! Could do with a passenger wing if one comes up in this colour too as its dented but I'm being picky and it's a £500 car.........

Chocolate Bar™
seeing as your a jobless hobo i'll just lend you the stuff and you can get cracking. some of us do have jobs lol

M

mini-valver

It's alive!! Went to fetch the new gearbox yesterday morning so got cracking with putting it all back together!

New clutch went on (lined up with a 1/2" extenson bar :D)....

DSC00037.jpg

What the new 20,000 mile box looks like compared with the 114k dead one. The oil inside the bellhousing is probably where the oil on the clutch came from!
DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Then it was a case of wrestling the box onto the engine and bolting all the engine nounts back up!

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

Now that was in, I got the damper assembly back on, driveshaft back in and put the new drop link on to go with the new wishbone and balljoint, and the rebuilt top mounts. I painted the calipers black too as the red looked pisch!

DSC00041.jpg

Te other side went on after changing the inner CV boot on the intermidate bearing shaft, then it was to connect all the earths, plugs and relevant hoses. All done...

DSC00042.jpg

I've driven about 40 miles so far, clutch feels nice and doesnt slip anymore and the box is really tight, Happy days! Also, no knocking, replacing everything fixed it then, lol. PAS pump is on its way too so it should be done mechanically next week.
Need to re-adjust the cable and check again for any leaks before the Krispy Kreme's meet at 1 today. Just in time :D

M

mini-valver

Never had one lad, just makes loadsa noise, lol! Want a standard airbox really.....