ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Skoda Fabia vRS
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

buy mine mate !

store this track car and give yourself time to work on it properly, you cant have a car like this as a daily driver it must be driving you insane

it is, but ive got nowhere to put it, thats whats stopping me from buying another car at the moment :(

320d

How much are lockups jord? I'd have a project car if it wasn't for my lack of garage.

ITB'd MK1

How much are lockups jord? I'd have a project car if it wasn't for my lack of garage.

too much for anything good to work in :( I've had a couple that I've shared, but you need to be sharing with people you trust and like. It's so much hastle if you get somewhere big and one person pulls out. Lucky I can do my cars at work now really

yup exactly what danny said......there is nowhere that is worth renting, anywhere that is, talking alot of money.....

if i had somewhere I would buy another car right this second, but I havent, and now I cant even drive this one lol

there is no plan until i find somewhere to put it, and another car to drive around in once ive found somewhere lol...........then it will probably be COMPLETELY stripped back, everything checked on suspension/rack etc, then an engine put in

but thats looking like months down the line at the moment!

M

mini-valver

Try running a fresh earth from the block to the body, and try a different coilpack. I was along the right lines at least ;)

i drove it this morning, only 1 mile or so, was fine, but any further and it starts playing up......didnt want to risk it...

Im going to try another coilpack, Winston has one, but I cant get to his house lol, its 10 mile, and Im not risking getting stuck halfway lol....Will see what happens after the coilpack....still, this engine needs to come out anyway!

M

mini-valver

It's not the BrickTek thats broken, it's the s**t bolted to it, lol.

Just lash a new body-block/box earth in and go for a drive but get someone to follow you.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC

Just read this entire thread and, f**king hell, I'd have rolled that car into the canal a loooooooooooong time ago, you have the patience of a saint!!

I might drop the coilpack off later once ive moved the rally car, just waiting for the battery to charge... you about?

Sounds like earths to me... gearbox earth fitted?

When i had this problem i fitted 2 more chunky earths and it solved the problem.. need any earth straps?

I might drop the coilpack off later once ive moved the rally car, just waiting for the battery to charge... you about?

Sounds like earths to me... gearbox earth fitted?

When i had this problem i fitted 2 more chunky earths and it solved the problem.. need any earth straps?

yeah im in, just text you...

M

mini-valver

Let me know if it fixes it dude, I want to gloat ;)

put winstons coilpack on........and another earth to the body.......

took it for a drive, after about 15 mins, floored it all the way to the limiter in 4th, then eased off to turn left at the next set of lights......hard left then right on a roundabout.....revs started spakking again.....seems to get worse when you corner hard...

f**k knows, cant be coilpack as ive tried two now!

ITB'd MK1

put winstons coilpack on........and another earth to the body.......

took it for a drive, after about 15 mins, floored it all the way to the limiter in 4th, then eased off to turn left at the next set of lights......hard left then right on a roundabout.....revs started spakking again.....seems to get worse when you corner hard...

f**k knows, cant be coilpack as ive tried two now!

dodgy ECU? had something like this on a nissan where a chip had been fitted some time before and a solder joint had broken

Also had another ECU where a surface mount resistor burned out, and if you put the heater on in the car it got a massive misfire. That one took months to find

dodgy ECU? had something like this on a nissan where a chip had been fitted some time before and a solder joint had broken

Also had another ECU where a surface mount resistor burned out, and if you put the heater on in the car it got a massive misfire. That one took months to find

It could quite possibly be, they are under the scuttle panel arent they, prime for every type of exposure....

Although its never been modified, its 100% standard Williams ECU....so not sure

Wet / damp ECU's can make the F7 run like a pig... but ive never had them fail to start from it etc... tupperware box of win tbh ;)

Did it cut out or just bog down run shite?

Yup aye know exactly where it is. I have a valver, ECU, tried running it on that in the past, it would run but pretty dodgily. Suppose its worth a try to see if the rev counter plays up with that one on too

Wet / damp ECU's can make the F7 run like a pig... but ive never had them fail to start from it etc... tupperware box of win tbh ;)

Did it cut out or just bog down run s**te?

Nah, the revs just started spakking so I let off, and put the clutch down to see if it was idling ok....idled fine then drove the 0.5miles home...

Balders172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

i had this with my mark1 1.4 rt funnily enough, used to cut out all the time round corners. The revs would die down and cut the engine out and then got to the point where it was just doing it on stand still after the engine warmed up

Rally Cinquecento

Long shot but fuel filter? My car used to cut out on round abouts and stuff especially on low fuel and some times with half a tank or more. Worth a look id have thought and its notheing big to check on Mk1's.

Skoda Fabia vRS

as long as he fitted it, which im sure he has by now, its had one in the last few months

I acctually havent lol, its sat in the box in the garage, its the only thing ive not fitted from what I purchased.....on the list for tommorow, last resort tbh

340i

I acctually havent lol, its sat in the box in the garage, its the only thing ive not fitted from what I purchased.....on the list for tommorow, last resort tbh

If that cures the problem, I would love to see your face after all this messing around LOL !

340i

Does sound like quite a random fault...

Checked all the electrical connections, earth straps?

tried taking the battery off for a few hours to reset the ECU?

Balders172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

yeh bad earths i had on my mk1 to, used to turn the light on and the whipers and indicators would come on instead lol

checked the earths again earlier, cleaned up the connections etc.

Went out for a drive then to get petrol...ended up not getting petrol due to the key hole for the cap being frozen but anyway went for a drive (20 mins ish)...just as I was within a mile of home it started spakking again with the revs....

Its fine with short journeys (2 mile max), but the problems tend to appear once its warmed up...

M

mini-valver

When it spacks with the revs, does the engine spack, or does the rev counter just bounce up and down like a ho then the engine cuts out?

When it spacks with the revs, does the engine spack, or does the rev counter just bounce up and down like a ho then the engine cuts out?

Yeah the engine spacks a bit like its missfiring maybe....I just had an idea though

There is some gay plastic tray that the HT leads usually run along, that I never had on before (1month+ ago), so It technically could be the HT leads arent pushing down on the spark plugs enough?

Just went on another short drive then, seems to be happening more when its high revs rather than low (HT leads could be moving under load slightly maybe?)

When comparing the original NGK plugs, to the ones that are in now (Gen reno) the NGK's are slightly taller...

Im gona take the plastic tray off to allow the HT leads to go on further....if that dosent fix it maybe the other set of plugs.....BUT, i dont see why it ran completely fine from the meet (21st) to when this first started (25th).....

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

It could be a fractured core on one of the plugs. They may be expanding under heat which is why the problem only arises at temperature.

It may also be a dicky plug lead if they've also been changed recently.

Vw caddy tdi

Checked the fuel pump?, could be suffering at higher rpm from lack of fuel? Very similar symptom to an electrical fault.

Right now then...

Took the plastic tray off, swapped all four plugs to the other set of NGK ones, and swapped the HT leads...

Still does it after a bit of driving......but only starts going it when turning right, ie roundabout, junction etc....guess Il try and swap the fuel filter next