ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

yeah its working, light had just come on :approve:

student LOL

sounds bout right mate! my student days ended nearly 2 years ago i miss the bumbing around days off and lie ins! any big plans with this then?

well the 'hybrid' element hasnt been done yet, as its still a standard valver engine, that will change soon.

got alot more waiting to go on, and loads more ideas....so will just have to see what direction it takes :)

o right nice. sounds liek its gunna be worth keepig an eye out. you boys up there need to come down to herts. theres a fair few of you lot up there with nice cars that seem to live quite close to each other

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Love your threads ill be subscribing to this one.

Looks like you have done a lot of work all ready well done.

What this isnt your daily driver isit?

wait and see ;)

nice little thread jordy, wus a great laugh doing the 172 widetrack 50 hours in 4 days i didnt realise it took so long but wus well worth it, if i had the car myself id be proud to drive it around as its awesome and handles like nothing ive been in before

Suzuki Swift Sport

Thats awesome - you really do have some patience - good read and looking forward to seeing it finished!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member

Awesome project!! How do you find the twisted mount? (and where did you get it from :p)

Those wishbone mounts are such a c*nt!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

in the vid is your fuel guage working, it says empty, lol, nice car tho deffo doing your self proud

I've never seen any of his cars that aren't rollin' wi' the light on. ;)

Less weight FTW

Cro

Meg'd r27

Nice one Jord! Looking well already, nice to have something to work on!

^^ unfortunately, jord has a rather large gf, so it kinda defeats the whole purpose hey chrussssssss

Chocolate Bar™

missed this thread, just read it through and should be a beast. you've got an awful lot of work ahead of you though lol

White Sti Hatch

Missed this going upglad to see the secrets out now !

Shall be keeping an eye on this

Awesome project!! How do you find the twisted mount? (and where did you get it from :p)
Seconded?

So you're putting the 172 engine in this?

nah no 172 engine.....theres a fair few people done that now

the idea was to only use 172 running gear to gain the bigger brakes (and more options brake wise)

dogbone mount was from Coops over on Clio16Valver, its a solid adjustable dogbone mount.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Should still be interesting.

Would these mounts fit a 172?

i doubt it as i *think* the RS's go straight into the bottom of the gearbox.....i remember bmh.01 posting up something about his clio when he had a powerflex dogbone mount on (not solid, just stiffer) and it ended up ripping the threads out of the gearbox.... (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=227182&highlight=powerflex)

its different on a mk1, the dogbone goes into a small framework sort of, so there is nothing to rip out really, it dosent go directly into the gearbox like on a RS....

mk4 golf gttdi180

clios are so much easier than the 106s i did myne in like an hour witht the slide hammer. ive been stripping my pug over the wwk and just got some gorbeau recliners as my fixed ones im to tall for really and it would hert if i crashed lol, i picked up my newman cams today so ill fit them asap . i should get a pregress blog on cliosport if it would allow me

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

love it! i wish i knew half the stuff that you do about tinkering with cars
really good write up aswell :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT

your influence is all over his car winston, its only a matter of time before it has holes in it and no radiator ;)

OK bit of an update.....not been doing much as ive been sourcing new parts, steering rack and stuff......had some spare time waiting for parts to arrive before re-fitting ryans engine today. Also spotted the valver box is leaking oil quite badly, not sure where from....got to check it out this weekend.

While we were waiting, I found a piece of 182 exhaust in his garage that he had cut out from his system, it was the perfect length to make my side exit longer. Luck be have it, he also had a welder too!

Got the exhaust off the car, and removed the clamp holding the original tip on. I then realised the piece of pipe was too big to fit onto the pipe of the exhaust, so it needed a small section to step it up. Got that on, then the 182 piece, and welded them both. The welds look shoddy, but they do the job seeing as the side exit is only temporary!

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

The silencer on the center section was also blowing, so welded up the cracks, hopefully it wont ever blow again. Took the exhaust back to the car, to figure out how it would be properly mounted, as before it was a complete mess. MK1s have an exhaust hanger near the sill, so we needed to think of something to make the exhaust hang from a rubber on there. Found an old exhaust rubber in Ryans garage, then measured up a piece of metal to hook through it and line upto the exhaust, and welded it on.

The problem was, the piece of metal for the mount wasnt long enough after the bend, and wasnt staying in the rubber properly. So we ended up hacking the mount off another old exhaust, and making a little hook to go on the other mount.

IMG_6405.jpg

Finally re-fitted it to the car, the mount/hanger positioned it correctly, and it just slightly comes out under the sill, how it should be. I also decided to slightly squash the tip in the vice, as a huge round hole out of the side would look horrible! Started it up, and it sounded alot better with no blowing, also less vibration through the car now there was a rubber on the exhaust mount.

IMG_6411.jpg

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Brilliant read.

Working on mk1's is a scary experience. Believe me I have been there.

Trick is not to let it get on top of you and just try enjoy the project. One key to a successful project is to make sure you keep an eye on the budget. If you let the budget run away it could cause you to give up and sell up. always keep spare cash for the ''un knows''.

172 & RSi

EPIC, if your last car is anything to go by this should be the best mk1 around when you've finished

mk4 golf gttdi180

that looks real good jord ,im gona crack me welder out get some gas for it and make one of thse for the 106 nxt week but feck the silencers lol ,wonderif it gona be loud:D