ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mickey mouse locking tools

right, ive had a read about on the forum about people saying the horseshoes bend etc i don't doubt what they are saying but if you are using the pulley lock tool how does that happen?

anything wrong with these for 1 change or 2?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-SCENIC-LAGUNA-F4R-1-8-2-0-CAMSHAFT-LOCKING-ENGINE-TOOL-/181026514800?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item2a26056770

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-1-4-1-6-1-8-2-0-ENGINE-TIMING-LOCKING-TOOL-PINS-KIT-16V-/180973724516?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a22dfe364

Cant say I've done a cambelt before but do everything else and i can follow instructions lol so not to worried about having a go the only thing that puts me off is access

The other thing the Renault manual mentioned camshaft seals and a special tool to remove and replace them, do these necessarily need changing or is a case of suck it and see.

Thanks

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
For the price of cam seals change them.. I wouldnt advise using old ones mate

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Always replace cam seals, you will f**k them getting the
​ out anyway.

Cup In bits
I have genuine pulley locking tool and sealey iirc horseshoe/pin and its been fine, for home mechanic fine. I would invest in genuine for trade work. It is possible to bend the tool and even the cam ends pretty easily.

Cam seals, around £15 to replace so why not considering the work required to fit. No special tools needed, Renault will advise a dolly I bet but most dealers won't have these, punch or socket will suffice, same as any lip seal.

Edit: that's the horseshoe kit I have and has been fine, cam pulley tool looks like a really good copy too tbh, probably the people who make them for Renault.

I dont mean the core plugs on the flywheel side I meant the seals behind the pulleys or is that what you meant? or maybe im getting myself confused here, lol.

edit: Cool thanks swede.

Cup In bits
I'm meaning the cam seals not the cam plugs, the ones behind the pulleys. If you buy a Gates cambelt kit you will get the plugs anyway.

edit:consider doing crank seal on the timing side too, check first though. If you do then don't buy it separate, buy the bottom end gasket set and you will get everything needed for rebuilding the bottom end gasket wise inc the sump seal, waterpump seal, oil pump cover seal etc etc and it will be about £8 difference from just buying the crank seal or sump seal. No brainer really.

Last edited: