ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

metallic sound on accelerating!

2001 1.2 16v
hi folks.
about a month ago i was pulling away from my house when there was a loud bang. i got out and opened the bonnet to discover my whole engine had fallen backwards.
the result was the lower gearbox mounting to the dogbone had snapped.
anyway rather than have the gearbox recond i asked the mechanic to source one from the scrapyard.
he said i needed gearbox,nearside driveshaft and cat which he got from a breaker he deals with.
anyway gearbox cat and driveshaft fitted but when i am pulling away quickly in first and into second i am hearinig a metallic grinding noise.
same in second but no other gears.
i can also feel it through the pedals.
could there be damage to offside driveshaft as well.?
i'm not too keen on using it in case the same thing happens again.!
apparently the cause of the engine dropping and gearbox mounting breaking was the nearside driveshaft had broken in the gearbox.
2001 1.2 16v
any help or advice appreciated.

Last edited:
  2001 1.2 16v
got it back on saturday.
the mechanic sourced the gearbox, driveshaft, cat and brake fluid reservoir for me.
he then removed engine,removed gearbox,replaced gearbox,replaced engine, fitted cat,driveshaft, new gearbox oil and brake fliud.
all for £230.