ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megapixel arguement

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Talking to some old boy at work who reckons that a 6x4 3 mp image will be the same size, but have less detail than a 6x4 10 mp image.

I'm trying to explain to him that the pixels are the same size therefore the higher the megapixel, the larger them image...

He's not having any of it :quiet:

TeZ

Non RS : (
LMAO your right, more megapixel just mean the image can withstand being bigger(which it will be)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
LMAO your right, more megapixel just mean the image can withstand being bigger(which it will be)

Nope, it doesnt mean the image can withstand being bigger, it means it IS bigger !

more pixels == need more space to fit the extra pixels in == bigger image

on a seperate note

more pixels != better picture.

haw-he-haw, une-sept-deux
?
as long as its at least 300dpi doesnt matter if it was taken with a 3 mp or a 20mp camera, same amount of dots on the 6x4.
surely?

So what's the difference between a 3mp 6x4 photo, and a 7mp 6x4 photo. Where do all those extra pixels go? Holiday?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
So what's the difference between a 3mp 6x4 photo, and a 7mp 6x4 photo. Where do all those extra pixels go? Holiday?

Nothing essentially.

You would need to shrink the bigger (7mp) picture down more so would loose more pixels than say shrinking the 3mp image down.

So if you got them printed at a photo place, you couldn't really tell the difference between the two photo's? Just interested to know. I suppose the quality of the photo is just down to the camera's capabilities.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If you use a 7mp camera and take a 6x4 photo it is not recording in 7mp.

So when I take a photo on my camera (set to 7mp), and get it printed out at the photo shop, what do they do to it?

Shrink it using a set of mathematical equations. Seriously.

EG. The same as what your photo editors do (photoshop etc)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
So if you got them printed at a photo place, you couldn't really tell the difference between the two photo's? Just interested to know. I suppose the quality of the photo is just down to the camera's capabilities.

Essentially yes. But your more correct in that it matters what camera/lens's etc.

Thought so. That's why I am amazed that people buy these £30 12mp camera's and insist they are better than my £250 7mp camera.

One more question from me and that's it. If I just want to print my pics out at 6x4, should I just change the picture size setting on my camera to say, 3mp instead of 7mp.

Thought so. That's why I am amazed that people buy these £30 12mp camera's and insist they are better than my £250 7mp camera.

One more question from me and that's it. If I just want to print my pics out at 6x4, should I just change the picture size setting on my camera to say, 3mp instead of 7mp.

yes if your just going to print them but no if you want to edit them

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ALWAYS capture at the best resolution your camera will do. You never know when you want to go back and make a bigger print. Or to edit the photo.

TeZ

alot of good/cheap desktop printers can comfortably go to 1200dpi so is alwas worth going as high as poss

dk

911 GTS Cab
guys, 6x4 just means 6" by 4" which is the size, the quality of the picture within that space will be determined by the megapixel number.

So a 12mp 6x4 photo will look better than a 6mp 6x4 as the output is the same but the input is different, more dots in the same space for the 12mp one so the image is clearer.

obviously it will be affected by the printer you use but if having it professionally developed you will notice a difference between different MP cameras.

TeZ

"obviously it will be affected by the printer you use but if having it professionally developed you will notice a difference between different MP cameras."

YES and YES for DK

dk

911 GTS Cab
Talking to some old boy at work who reckons that a 6x4 3 mp image will be the same size, but have less detail than a 6x4 10 mp image.

I'm trying to explain to him that the pixels are the same size therefore the higher the megapixel, the larger them image...

hes right, you aren't mate, two 6x4 photos are both 6" by 4" so they are physically the same size, its just the one has a better quality image on it as more pixels per inch.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

hes right, you aren't mate, two 6x4 photos are both 6" by 4" so they are physically the same size, its just the one has a better quality image on it as more pixels per inch.

It's like the old "which is heavier, 1 ton of bricks, or 1 ton of feathers?".

If he was asking if a 3MP image is the same size as a 10MP image you'd be right.

But he's asking if two 6x4 images are the same size...which they obviously are...both 6x4.

Nope, it doesnt mean the image can withstand being bigger, it means it IS bigger !

more pixels == need more space to fit the extra pixels in == bigger image

on a seperate note

more pixels != better picture.

Eeeekkk, dont go there ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
DK is not right !!

Resize an image down to 6x4" in a photo editor, now resize the image back up to the size it was before.. notice something ? yep its pixelly as f**k !

Thats because in order to go smaller you had to loose a load of the pixels.

An example if you like !

Original 640x480
original.png

image scaled down (as it would be by a printer app)
downsize.png

that image scaled back up to 640x480 ! I may be wrong but it looks like some of the detail was lost ??
upsize.png

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
My view point.

header.jpg

A digital camera is able to process a certain amount of information through its lens and record it onto a removable media card. The information stored to this media card is essentially made up of digital pixels. A 2 Megapixel (MP) camera can process and record images that consist of 2 million pixels apiece. Similarly, a 5 Megapixel (MP) camera can process and record images that consist of 5 million pixels apiece. Why is this important?Simply put, the more pixels that can be recorded by a camera, the greater the image resolution. And the greater the image resolution, the better the image quality.
The image above compares an apple that was photographed by two different digital cameras, 5 MP and 2 MP. Here, we've magnified a section of each result for comparative purposes. As you can see, the difference in detail, or resolution, is quite obvious.

TeZ

get a good printer like i have got then or use a Digital cromaylin like i do then youll never have issues with print

BMW F31

hmmmmm its a bit of a confusing area.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
the greater the resolution, the larger the image. period.

a 640x480 image will be 0.3 megapixels, regardless of what megapixels the camera is capable of.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
No its greater the megapixels the larger the image can be printed without loss of detail etc.

It doesnt mean the image is larger.

6x4 taken at 3mps and 6x4 taken at 10mps are the same size but the 10mps shot will have more pixels in it

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
No its greater the megapixels the larger the image can be printed without loss of detail etc.

6x4 taken at 3mps and 6x4 taken at 10mps are the same size but the 10mps shot will have more pixels in it

No, it wont.

A 3mp resolution is lower than a 10mp resolution, hence the image will be bigger. you would need to scale down (read remove pixels) from the 10mp image to get it to the same size as the 3mp !

BMW M4; S1000 RR

A pixel isn't a measurement. Just a single square of colour.

If both the images are 6x4 then yes, they will be the same size.

But if you have 1000ppi in one photo, and 500ppi in the other, of course the 1000ppi picture will be of better quality.

On a computer, there's no way to put a measurement, it's all relative to the resolution of the screen.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
the greater the resolution, the larger the image. period.

a 640x480 image will be 0.3 megapixels, regardless of what megapixels the camera is capable of.

Indeed, but the OP was talking about 6x4 photos, you could print a 0.3mp image in 6x4, it'd just look crap compared to the 7mp one.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
DK is not right !!

Resize an image down to 6x4" in a photo editor, now resize the image back up to the size it was before.. notice something ? yep its pixelly as f**k !

Thats because in order to go smaller you had to loose a load of the pixels.

An example if you like !

Original 640x480
original.png

image scaled down (as it would be by a printer app)
downsize.png

that image scaled back up to 640x480 ! I may be wrong but it looks like some of the detail was lost ??
upsize.png

They're still the same size though, shot yourself in the foot there !

Facelift R53 Cooper S

that sounds about right to me