ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane R26

M135i and the shed
Cheers for the comments gents. I'm pretty pleased with it thus far. Progress from here on out will be pretty slow but it's a long term project this one so there's no rush.

Bloody lovely. One of the nicest ive seen. Please mount your harnesses higher though! You could cause yourself more damage in a accident with them like that. Mount them to the brace.

Cheers, but they're mounted to the same rear mounting points and angles as the R26R uses so i'm reasonably happy with them there. If i go the rollcage route i'll mount them to the cage but the strut bar thats in there isn't designed for belts, hence i wouldn't trust using it. :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, but they're mounted to the same rear mounting points and angles as the R26R uses so i'm reasonably happy with them there. If i go the rollcage route i'll mount them to the cage but the strut bar thats in there isn't designed for belts, hence i wouldn't trust using it. :)

No worries chap. Ive just always gone by this sort of ruling

saeatlocation.jpg

Evo 6, E92 320d
Looks stunning, you have given me inspiration for mine :).
R.e the forge valve, would I feel any benefit on my unmapped megane?

M135i and the shed
Cheers guys.

The uprated recirculation valve holds the boost so much better and the standard rubber ones get pretty tired so I'd be tempted to fit one even to a standard car.

M135i and the shed
Cheers guys.

The uprated recirculation valve holds the boost so much better and the standard rubber ones get pretty tired so I'd be tempted to fit one even to a standard car.

Car looking great there Chris! The CMC bar is looking good with that cargo net you've got! Nice to see you went for harnesses in the end, a real track car now. Still a daily too?

Tom

M135i and the shed
Is that a scangauge i saw in the centre console? how do you get on with it?

Scan gauge is excellent Dean. Really useful for keeping a watching eye on things, checking and clearing fault codes and being able to assess the relative benefits of different mods. Worth the relatively low expense i reckon.

M135i and the shed
Car looking great there Chris! The CMC bar is looking good with that cargo net you've got! Nice to see you went for harnesses in the end, a real track car now. Still a daily too?

Tom

Hi Tom. Not a daily no; my daily has one gear, pedals and handlebars so the R26 gets to sit in the garage till the weekends.

Pleased with the strut bar but might be in contact with you soon regarding cage options or a way of mounting a bar more substancially to allow harness attachment in the future? :)

Does your daily have a bell too?!
Ok great stuff, you know my contact details, I look forward to hearing from you!

R26
Scan gauge is excellent Dean. Really useful for keeping a watching eye on things, checking and clearing fault codes and being able to assess the relative benefits of different mods. Worth the relatively low expense i reckon.

Good! it shows boost pressure too doesnt it? is it a bit laggy? i.e 1-2 seconds behind?

Sorry for the mini thread hijack :eek: Loving the car btw!

M135i and the shed
Good! it shows boost pressure too doesnt it? is it a bit laggy? i.e 1-2 seconds behind?

Sorry for the mini thread hijack :eek: Loving the car btw!

Boost pressure yes, but with the X Gauge version you can program it to read hundreds of different parameters (sensors allowing). In terms of lag, i have my set to the fastest refresh rate and it's got maybe a 0.5 second lag on it (probably less). Not bad really. The lag certainly isn't particularly noticeable.

Agree it is awesome. I love these Meganes. Such a clean shape. Very much fits the 'bodywork is there to contain the hardware' look. Way more athletic looking than the 250, which looks a bit like a bar of soap from some angles. I love those too, but prefer the old one. This one is epic!

IMG_7083Custom-1.jpg
:cool:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
That looks f**king brillant :approve:

Great work mate!

M135i and the shed
Thanks gents, she is starting to come together as i'd planned, but like i say, it's a long term keeper so i'll keep the slow steady approach to tweaking it.

Tend to agree Roy, with the 250 Renault took less of a risk with it when compared to the Megane 2 shape and hence it's a bit more mainstream in comparison (almost a blend of Astra VXR and Seat Leon in my eyes). Don't get me wrong though, the 250 is still a nice looking bit of kit. :) The Megane 2 shape was a proper Marmite car where as the new one probably appeals to 95% of the population.

M135i and the shed
To keep the blog alive, i recently had a set of Gaz Gold coilovers fitted to the R26. Bubble & Kick spent 6 months developing these along with feedback from a few Clio Cup racers so they should be better thought through than the early Clio kits. First impressions are good but i need to have a good play around with the heights and damping adjustment to come up with a decent road, dry track and wet track set-ups.

A few pics with them fitted from Donington this afternoon:

DSC02678Large.jpg

DSC02574Large.jpg

DSC02571Large.jpg

DSC02469Large.jpg

M135i and the shed
Lovely car!

Fingers crossed the meg Gaz is better than the clio kits. They are horrific in every sense.

Like i say, they've put plenty of development in to the kit with all the development work being done by B&K on their own R26 rather than by Gaz themselves. It's taken them 6 months of testing the kit pretty much weekly on track to get to the point of releasing it. Spring rates seem to work well and there's a fairly decent range of damping adjustment on them. Pretty pleased to be honest.

But Gaz still manufacture them. The adjustment tabs at the top of the coilover on the clio kit look like they have been made with a file by a man in a shed somewhere. Most clio kits seem to fill up the top mounts with shock oil at some point. Just disgusting build quality frankly. Can't comment on the meg stuff as I haven't worked with it.

M135i and the shed
To give you some idea of the Megane kit:

100_0626-1.jpg

Seemed reasonable build quality to me. Nice adjusters, nice machining, good welds. :)

ktr_gaz_coilovers_f.jpg

Clio stuff looks good too eh?

As I say, it may well have improved, but my experiences with the Clio kits will always keep me wary. How much was the kit (what price point)

M135i and the shed
Clio stuff looks like i made it in my shed with some tin snips in fairness. ;) Certainly completely different units and quality to the new stuff on the Meg.

Kit was £999 including fitting, alignment and corner weighting.

If it can handle being on B&K's track tuition car and being constantly abused day in, day out then i'm sure it'll be ok for the 'garage queen'. :)

M135i and the shed
Ok well after a few weeks of attempted fault finding and trying get used to the Gaz coilovers i decided they weren't for me. I won't go in to it here but feel free to PM if you want any feedback.

So, today saw a trip to the good gentlemen at Birchdown Automotive. Waiting for me on arrival was a box containing a 500 mile old set of R26R suspension ready for fitment. Here are the units:

IMG_20110408_085038Large.jpg

IMG_20110408_085929Large.jpg

And fitted:

IMG_20110408_093145Large.jpg

IMG_20110408_112418Large.jpg

IMG_20110408_114140Large.jpg

And finally the ride heights on my 1290kg R26. Seems lower than the R26 OEM set-up and pretty much the same height i was running my Gaz coilovers at:

IMG_20110408_120506Large.jpg

IMG_20110408_120512Large.jpg

Having tried to source these directly from Renault i can tell you that including top mounts they're over £1500 so the price i got them for was an absolute steal!

Feedback on them compared to the R26 OEM and Gaz coilover set-up? A perfect compromise. You can tell they're softer spring rates but it actually feels slightly firmer than the R26 OEM set-up thanks to firmer damping. A great compromise as you get firm, tight body control with supple long wheel travel. Truly epic and a definate step up from the R26 OEM set-up.

Thanks go to, firstly Birchdown for being frankly awesome as always. Real professionals. Secondly, thanks to TdF (specifically Sam and Matt) for sorting the .R suspension out for me. And thirdly, Matty for giving me the initial heads-up. :) :iloveyou:

340i
Damn you!! you pretty much and an r26.r with interior now then? ;)

how much was the .r suspension out of interest, PM ?