ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane 225 engine into a clio 197

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have a vision of a 197 with 250 bhp and sounding like naiths meggy

drools.............

ValverInBits
So if thats the case, why dont we just add on a turbo, intercooler with the ECU?

Instead of dropping the whole engine?

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone knows the compression ratio for the megane?

Desm

nope. It's things like oil and water feeds for the turbo, and an oil drain back to the sump and the (probably) stronger rods, the different pistons (lower compression), turbo cams, boost capable MAP sensor/boost capable MAF sensor, the list goes on......

Just do a straight swap. Get the engine with turbo and all ancillaries and loom+ECU, sell the box if it's got one, go for hacked OEM management (if you can crack the immobiliser - RS tuning?), if not get it some emerald/omex/whatever. Bolt in, jobs a goodun. If what people are saying is true (same box+same engine mounts) then it'll be straight forward. Not 'easy', but straight forward

I think this is the engine that renault should have given the 197 in the first place. Boost makes tuning cheaper and easier.

Last edited:
  Tangoed Works
sounds like a plan... get it done dude, sounds pretty straight forward compared to the prospect of whacking it into a MK2

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Would love to see this, what a project if so!

What happened to the gearbox out of interest?

Tav

Clio 197
Keeping standard ECU would be good for all the drive by wire benefits? Do the 197's have cruise control etc?

If the engine sits on the same mounts and within the confides of the bay I'd be surprised if it didn't become a popular conversion. Obviously just now the cars are still relatively expensive and low mileage...but in future I can't think of a better way of getting 230bhp+ and OE levels of refinement and reliability.

Pop in an LSD ala R26 Megane and you'd have a car with better power/weight ratio that's potentially a good bit quicker without drastic modifications beyond the conversion. Win win.

Someone posted up a thread with a Twingo running the R26 engine so no reason it can't be done in a 197. 1.8 20vT VW transplants into the much older Mk2 Golf's are very popular...people even plonk in the big 2.8/3.2 V6 engines as well.