ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media servers, media streaming, PS3's, equipment list...

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
Hi all,

Im at a bit of a cross roads with what to do with my tv/film/music media centre...

Currently, i have no networked storage, and simply acquire stuff from 'the web' and stick it on a USB stick and use the PS3 to play it.

Now, im looking to centralise my storage so need a NAS, and to this end, ive convinced myself a Netgear ReadyNAS is the weapon of choice, does anyone run one of these?

The plan is to re-site the PS to the bedroom to stream movies to (and game off of) so i'll need a streamer for downstairs. Any suggestions to this end?

I have wondered if its worth building a HTPC for downstairs to store and stream in one, the main thing i need is outside access to something so i can que downloads and such while im at work; the beauty of the the ReadyNAS is that is has a Bittorrent client built in so it satisfies this need, but doesnt stream...

So do i get a Netgear and a seperate streamer (dunno which, i was considering another PS tbh) or look to get a unit that does both?

AK

M240i
HP N40L server with a graphics card stream to PS & watch via GFX with XBMC.

Or, buy a Raspberry Pi and stream to that.

Clio182
I've just picked up a Synology DS411j 4 bay NAS to do this. The only difference is I've got a WD media player which plays any file format, where the ps3 is restricted. Works perfectly streaming media to any device. Still trying to figure out how to run torrents on the box though...

I've previously transcoded files using ps3 media server on my mac which worked fine over an N network, even 720p stuff. Media players that play all are cheap enough these days though

I also have the Synology DS411j. The media server app is good, and my Samsung DLNA TV sees it on my network and streams 1080p from it with no issues.

However, I'm planning on getting a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV for added functionality.

Bus w**ker
I've got a ReadyNAS Duo, great bit of kit but TBH as mine is the first version the SPARC processor is a bit lacking at times - mostly CPU load. Anyway I use it to stream (DLNA as standard), mostly 720p x264 mp4 files, TV and films across a wired gigabit network to my 360 - it would do the same to my PS3 if that wasn't collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

Most NAS servers will allow you to stream over the network and also act as a BT Client. If you do go for a ReadyNAS go for the best you can afford and check out http://www.readynas.com/ as there's a load of info on there and add-ons including Transmission, because the standard BT client is s**t, and the SABnzbd/Sick Beard/Coach Potato/Headphones combo and a s**t load more.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Some readynas servers can run plex too, which is epically good

Hp Media Smart server here with 8tb's of storage , media PC in a slim case below the tv , media extenders at all the tv's in the different rooms , have 6 freeview tuners built in 4 freesat , records and streams all round the house .

Music to squeezebox server running on the media pc , and streamed round the house to various squeeze devices (squeezebox radio and a couple of squeezebox booms ) also streams to our phones via squeeze apps and can connect from anywhere in the world so as long as the laptop is with us when away all our music tv and film is there to , handier than you might think if you work away .

does link to our samsung tv ,but running media centre there really isn't a need.

Bus w**ker
Sure there is. 1 drive bay, no data redundancy.

Not really, you could always add on additional USB external HDDs and set up mirroring plus the top of the range comes with (unless you change the spec for SDD) 2 x 500Gb internal HDDs as standard. Not really seeing the point.

Unless you have an 8TB NAS in RAID 5 on your home network.

So you'd be using the Mini just to stream media to your TV? :S Any reason for going with RAID 5 btw?

So you'd be using the Mini just to stream media to your TV? :S Any reason for going with RAID 5 btw?

Yeah pretty much. Not really a fan of media players. I have a WDTV Live and hardly ever use it. As I say, my TV is DLNA compliant but I also just fancy the full OSX experience on my TV. No compromises.

I went for RAID 5 as it seemed the best option for me. One drive can fail with no loss of data. The chances of two drives failing simultaneously are pretty low. Granted, not impossible.

A Mac somewhere with it all plugged in. Jailbroken ATV in any other location that you want to watch.

Plex on both.

Besides iTunes for my music, I'm not really a fan of libraries. Plex etc. don't really appeal to me.

Hence why I'd rather just have a Mac Mini and use VLC to play my stuff from network drives in Finder.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That's all plex does. Just makes those folders indexable. You don't need to double up existing media. It just references the existing files.

My plex is pointed at my iTunes library (where most of my media is) and another couple of folders on my mac and nas. The beauty of that is my existing files remain as they are and plex builds a small separate metadata database. Its perfect and nowhere near as clunky as using vlc.

Ok I'll try it out when I get the Mac Mini.

I'll still have VLC though. I like to keep it handy...for close encounters.

EDIT: Actually just remembered I installed a Plex app on my telly. It seemed quite cool, for about thirty seconds but then it killed itself and was permanently bricked after that. Not that that's any reflection on the OSX experience of it. Just saying.

Last edited: