ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Me Again! - Lack of MOT ...OK?

Monaco 172 (02)
Me Again;

On the back of this mornings thread and a good suggestion of this by someone on here, Im looking at this tomorrow.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/994428.htm

Due to the lack of MOT i asked about anywork he thinks may need doing.
This was his response:-

''Regarding MOT work to be done

On the dogbone mount there is a rubber bush which has a small split in it, so that might need replacing

£40 from ktec racing and 15-20mins to fit it yourself, have a look on cliosport its pretty easy, If i still have the car beofre its MOT ill have it done myself anyway.''

Is that likely to be anything more (assuming somethings banging)
I know the engine mounts are weak on them so....... What about shocks, CV boots etc. anything in particular to watch?

He has offered to MOT in 2 1/2 weeks time but I may ask to be flexible on the price a bit more instead. Or am i just stupid for even considering a car with 5 weeks MOT?

Thanks (again)

172 cup
I would never buy a car without MOT unless it was stupidly cheap. I.e that cheap you could almost replace all the runnig gear in the saving your making

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Personally mate, I would get him to MOT it, unless you can go and have a really good look over the car and are confident what needs doing, offer him less for the car, the money off MOT's it and it all works out cheaper.

I'd just wait though dude.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Also those apex springs are very hard. Cause no end of rattles in the car, so make sure you put that back to standard or buy some better ones.

Get the MOT done, piece of mind that way.

Looks like an OK car, sounds like he is a member of here as he has access to the members section :) So ask about

Monaco 172 (02)
Yes your all right.

I was hoping you would just say buy it!

But thinking with the head I think £50 deposit, and £40 to do the MOT and take it from there.

RB 182
Maybe he's just thinking like me? My MOT is due in just over 5 weeks, and i was gonna put it properly up for sale today, but thought may aswel hold of for week and half as then can get 13 months MOT. Its for sale though, through word of mouth so if it sells before 30th April, it'll have only 5 weeks of test on her

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
PMSL At £3195 with no MOT!

My mate is selling exactly the same car with a 2 year warranty and 12m MOT for £3295 at a garage!!

LY 200
But thinking with the head I think £50 deposit, and £40 to do the MOT and take it from there.

Why should you do this mate? If he is confident/telling the truth ask him to MOT the car and when he says yes come to a verbal agreement on price pending it go's through the MOT as it should!

If he wants the sale he will do this and as has been suggested in this thread not many would buy it without one anyway!

M2 Competition
Maybe he's just thinking like me? My MOT is due in just over 5 weeks, and i was gonna put it properly up for sale today, but thought may aswel hold of for week and half as then can get 13 months MOT. Its for sale though, through word of mouth so if it sells before 30th April, it'll have only 5 weeks of test on her

I did the same. Sold my last car with 6 weeks mot left on it.

Was mint and spotless car, but it having a short mot put a few buyers off.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I sold my cup in Feb for £4,250 with 2 weeks MOT lol ... was obviously mint and i would have happily done it for him, but knocked £50 quid off instead.

Personally, i wouldnt buy a car without a decent MOT though!!

Clio 182
You do not have to wait for the MOT. You can MOT a car at any time you want even if it is not due. So just tell him to MOT it this week and get it!

LY 200
^^^Good point but i think its within a month or so that they will extend it further (so 13 month MOT instead of 12). You cant have one done after 6 months of it passing and then expect it to have 18 months as you already have another 6 left on the original MOT for example!

I have just had my car serviced and MOT'd this week and it wasnt due until May yet the expiry is May next year.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
same with mine ive now got 13 month mot on mine got it done early

RS 172
When i bought my car the MOT was not due for 6 weeks.

I asked the guy if he would take it for an MOT. I even paid...
He told me what it needed, i either lose £50 or know what i need to do.

Took the car based on what it needed, we agreed the price.
I guess a lot of people are not that honest though,....

172 Cup
have a good old butchers around the car, extensive test drive ect....personally i know a few people who know people who can get dodgy MOT's, not that i ever would but people can so be wary (not saying this guy's dodgy) i just dont trust anyone.

Monaco 172 (02)
Well I knocked him down the price of an MOT and paid a deposit.

Had a good look around, tyres all very good, no bushes seemed to knock what so ever, only possible issue is rear pads but that not a major issue.

Well picking it up next week, and probably MOT'd week after.

Just see how it goes I guess!

Can't wait to get it though!!

None
Did you ask him why he was selling it so close to the MOT why not wait till after and get more for car?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Well I knocked him down the price of an MOT and paid a deposit.

Had a good look around, tyres all very good, no bushes seemed to knock what so ever, only possible issue is rear pads but that not a major issue.

Well picking it up next week, and probably MOT'd week after.

Just see how it goes I guess!

Can't wait to get it though!!

you're welcome!

Monaco 172 (02)
Did you ask him why he was selling it so close to the MOT why not wait till after and get more for car?

Yes hes been accepted for the police and is moving away.

He would MOT it but would be at the end of the month, and he would then put it up for £3500.

I know it goes against everything Im told, but he seemed honest etc. so...

Clio 172 cup
Yes hes been accepted for the police and is moving away.

He would MOT it but would be at the end of the month, and he would then put it up for £3500.

I know it goes against everything Im told, but he seemed honest etc. so...

Impatient and stupid springs to mind :nono:

Monaco 172 (02)
Impatient and stupid springs to mind :nono:

Well stupid we will see....

I dont think its stupid if it passes (on the face of it it looks excellant) and Ive saved two hundred quid or however much extra he was goin to charge.

I will be stupid if it needs attention
Watch this space