ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mayonnaise build up on 20k mile clio

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
Hey there,

Whilst doing an oil change on my '02 ph2 1.2 16v a week ago, I noticed some build up of mayonnaise around the oil filler cap. Since the car has only 20k miles on it, i kind of assumed that it was just condensation build up because of small journeys throughout the car's life, so I wiped it off and thought nothing more of it. I have just checked again, and there is quite a lot of build up again, maybe even more so than before. The build up seems very quick, so could the head gasket have gone despite the low miles? It doesn't show any other signs of failure, no white smoke, no leaky coolant, and I have never seen the temp gauge go even a millimetre above the middle of the gauge.

By extension, if it was the head gasket, how easy is the fix - I have some experience working on the car, but other members of my family are much more experienced mechanically and could help if it was a fix that could be done at home

Thanks for any help/advice anyone could give!

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
hows the water in your expansion tank looking?
Pretty much mid way between the minimum and maximum lines - the coolant is sort of a murky blue colour, but i couldn't see any kind of oil in there

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Take it for a nice long drive and then check again. Doubt it's anything to worry about.

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
I'll take it out for a longer journey later today. After the oil was replaced i drove it for probably about an hour to check for any leaks, but beyond that it is only really doing 4 mile journeys. Anything I should be looking out for during the drive, beyond the typical head gasket related symptoms?

Listerine & Poledo
white smoke, overheating.

In these cold days for 4-mile sprint isn't going to help matters, especially if you lean on the throttle at all.

Reactions: B93

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just take it for a hard drive, get on that limiter once warm, does no harm. I really doubt it's hg. They have plastic covers on these, hence the condensation build up. HG's are rare.

dan's cast offs.
the breather system on them is awful, strip and clean, shove it back together and quick 20 mile run. you'd be surprised how much condensation builds up in oil from a cold start.

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
Thanks for all the help, I took it out yesterday with family following, and after about an hour there was no sign of any smoke, and no overheating. Imgoing to assume I was just worrying too much! As for the 20k miles, the previous owner (until mid-2015) was an 80-year-old lady who said that she 'put it to bed in the garage at 9 o'clock every night', so that really tells you all you need to know about how she drove it :) Also, not only has it never failed, its never even had an advisory (yet... Kind of suprising given that I'm the driver)

Anyway, cheers for all your help

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the help, I took it out yesterday with family following, and after about an hour there was no sign of any smoke, and no overheating. Imgoing to assume I was just worrying too much! As for the 20k miles, the previous owner (until mid-2015) was an 80-year-old lady who said that she 'put it to bed in the garage at 9 o'clock every night', so that really tells you all you need to know about how she drove it :smile: Also, not only has it never failed, its never even had an advisory (yet... Kind of suprising given that I'm the driver)

Anyway, cheers for all your help

Old lady... Thrown over every curb, parked across the line in every car park, ground into every gear :wink: Only joking mate.

Reminds me of this though.

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
Knowing my luck, my car was probably used as a practise car for that advert!