ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manual Tyre changer- bead breaker for DIY use?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Constantly swapping tyres and paying £15 a pop each time at a local used tyre place
Reckon could be doing 8 a year or so

Anyone got experience of one of these car tyre changers/ bead breakers and are they as easy to use as the UTube vids? Saw one bloke get a tyre of in around 2 minutes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyre-Changer-Bead-Breaker-Tire-Car-ATV-Motorcycle-Manual-Hand-Machine-21/253809515916?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=03f3f3697e5a4707b0b06cdc6e8652fa&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=8&sd=232927879428&itm=253809515916&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Didn't see him put one back on, but others have done it in several minutes
Expect its back breaking work?

Are they worth it- would save a few £'s that could be spent on the tyres
bead breaker.jpg

Clio 182
I use a trolley jack and a ratchet strap to pop the beads.
Works a treat.
Obviously on track wheels or ones your not to fussed about.

PH2 172
I use a trolley jack and a ratchet strap to pop the beads.
Works a treat.
Obviously on track wheels or ones your not to fussed about.

I was amazed to watch a professional road side rescue bod this week.

Loose wheel on the deck, 1 inch Vee block about 5 inches long & a large sledge hammer to break the bead.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Tyre levers and fairy liquid.
The pain is the balancing of them.
I'm hoping that where the original wheel has already been balanced with weights on the internal rim, then replacing the tyre should require new balancing
Tyres cant weigh that much differently?

PH2 172
I'm hoping that where the original wheel has already been balanced with weights on the internal rim, then replacing the tyre should require new balancing

You have omitted the word NOT, and it will.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I'm hoping that where the original wheel has already been balanced with weights on the internal rim, then replacing the tyre should NOT require new balancing

You have omitted the word NOT, and it will.

Quite right. Now inserted.

Does it matter on a track? Just a little shake, is it not? Feel free to advise.....

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It will need balancing, believe it or not tyres aren't perfectly round. Neither do they weigh the same all the way round either.

That's why you see the yellow and red dots marked on tyre sidewalls. Yellow dot is the lightest part of the tyre, red dot is the highest spot of radial run out (how out of round the tyre is basically).

If there's only a yellow dot you line this up with the valve on the rim. If there is both yellow and red dots, ignore the yellow and line up with the red.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
(Insert hovis advert music)
When i were a lad, we only had one of those manual tyre changers.

They work all right in all fairness. Competition tyres with hard sidewalls were awkward though.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
(Insert hovis advert music)
When i were a lad, we only had one of those manual tyre changers.

They work all right in all fairness. Competition tyres with hard sidewalls were awkward though.

One of the lads at Demon Tweeks struggled to get my Dunlop track tyres off with an all singing all dancing new machine.

Wouldn't like to try it with a manual jobbie.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Certain wheels were really awkward, Compemotive MO were the worst

PH2 172
Does it matter on a track? Just a little shake, is it not? Feel free to advise.....

If you had ever ridden a motorcycle with an unbalanced front wheel, you wouldn't have asked that question.

Go fast enough and it will develop an uncontrollable tank slapper that will throw you off.

Unbalanced wheels will cause premature wear to wheel bearings, steering, & suspension components.

New tyres will definitly need balancing. All tyres are different and when they are spinning at x revolutions per minute you will feel the imperfections through the steering wheel.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I used to get part-worns off this old fella out in the country, he used a manual balancer.
Wasn't perfect but it was fairly close, better than no balancing at all.