ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

management

Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes
looking at getting management for my clio once ive had an F7p fitted, is anyone on here running aftermarket management on an F7p? and any recomondations as to which would be best for a tight budget???

thanks

Omex, or you can get a cheaper copy like a Vems, but these aren't E-marked and will probably be made illegal on road cars before too much longer.

Lionel Richie
motec - if you're loaded
emeralad - very good, not expensive
omex - as above
vems as above
kms - as above
dta - as above bit more cash IIRC

motec - if you're loaded
emeralad - very good, not expensive
omex - as above
vems as above
kms - as above
dta - as above bit more cash IIRC

a mate of mine is putting DTA on his astra gsi, i think i may look at that once his is fitted, so i can have a look at the mapping sofeware and the simplicaty of use, also going to look at kms as well.

thanks for the advice fred

Omex, or you can get a cheaper copy like a Vems, but these aren't E-marked and will probably be made illegal on road cars before too much longer.

It may be cheap, but it poweres Europes fastest street legal car, 0.08 secs faster than red victor and has 2050bhp.

M

mini-valver

What happens with the older OMEX ecu's? Do only the new ones get E marked?

It may be cheap, but it poweres Europes fastest street legal car, 0.08 secs faster than red victor and has 2050bhp.

Well that's a bit of an oxymoron isn't it, as that car wont be street legal running a non emarked ECU for a road car. Apparently if it's non emarked it aint road legal, so for example if you put one on a customers car and it then cuts out whilst driving down a motorway causing a pile up and untold misery, who do you think is liable?

Plenty of management options, but for the sake of a few quid why pikey it?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Bloody hell, you get out of bed the wrong side again?

Do you really need to troll cs like this, its becoming a bit of a pain.

M

mini-valver

Does that count for ecu's from the date of cert.? Or do old OMEX get backdated E-marks? Be interesting to know....

afaik Omex have always been e-marked, but you're better asking them.

I know mine is and that's all I'm really bothered about. If the car was in an accident and police or insurance people checked then it would be fully road legal.

M

mini-valver

At the same time though, if the insurer agrees to insure the car with an "aftermarket ecu" then it's fully road legal too.

ValverInBits
has no-one mentioned mega-squirt?

I've heard it's not great to work with but i do like the way it's open-source and it seems like an honest system from an honest company.

I asked this exact same question about 9 months ago.
I got basically the same answers.

The Jesus will always recommend omex. But then what he says about it being one of the few road legal ECUs is true.

People will quite often recommend systems from companies they are "in-bed" with.

Clio v6
At the same time though, if the insurer agrees to insure the car with an "aftermarket ecu" then it's fully road legal too.

Imagine the phone conversation.

Hi Norwich Union. Will you agree to my fitting an aftermarket ECU?

"Yes go ahead."

Forgot to mention it's not certified and not road legal.

"You're having a laugh mate"

Does anybody think this arguement is new?

Its been around for years.

I think most of the E marked ECU's are only so due to type approval for OEM use, i think.

It all gets blown up occasionally when someone does recieve a enquiry from the police or they want to push a competitive advantage. Its just one of those things that any industry has to deal with.

If it was such a hardcore case then every aftermarket component will deem a car illegal. Every apexi SAFC, VAFC, Power FC, twiddly little dash mounted boost controller and other jap bit thats bolted to almost every tuned car. All the American, Australian, European and Asian ECU that is not E marked but used one rally cars which have to use public roads to get from stage to stage. There is a whole world out there and most likely some Govt. vehicles which will contain non tested equipment.

What do all the masses of megasquirt users do with their road cars and DIY ECU's?

Then the insurance side of things, they cover you, its a contract....you've paid. In most cases where all mods are declared including the brand of ECU, they are more than capable to check if what they are insuring is what they deem 'legal'....as they are in the business of risk. If you dont declare all mods, well fraud is another matter.

It all depends how vindictive people want to get.

And just use an example, IF Andy is running one of VEMS' wideband meters and using the wideband or narrowband output with the omex, then technically a non E marked component that has a direct impact on the performance of the vehicle is being used. Illegal?

heard good things about go-tec can anyone back this up?

am i better off running a stand-alone ecu or would there be benifits of running an injector driver and seperate ignition driver?