ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Managed to break a sensor -PLEASE HELP!!!

ph1 track weapon
hey all,

bloody wonderful xmas present I managed to give myself this morning. was mucking about under the bonnet and managed to snap a sensor on the left hand side of the inlet plenum! GRRRR

As a result of it breaking, the car, when started idles at 2k, then drops after 5-10secs to a REALLY lumpy idle. only ran it 15-20s max as it sounded terrible!

Hopefully its not an expensive fix, and possibly even something i can plug in the short term?

any help appreciated!

pics are below.

IMG_6011.gif

IMG_6010.gif

Mondeo TDCI 130
Map sensor! You need a new one dude! :( Make sure the piece in the hole doesnt go down the inlet!!! or it will become valve food.

Mondeo TDCI 130
SBV - is that an expensive one? how much are we looking at?

ed

I think from memory about £60 to £70 not replaced one for a while!!

BUT, you can get a second hand one?? depends how quickly you neeed it! There will be plenty on cars breaking etc! :)

Mondeo TDCI 130
The little grey one with a 90 degree elbow to the plug? There should be a wire going to that!?

Air temp sensor!

ph1 track weapon
Have managed to remove the inlet plenum um this morning, and slugged any holes on the block. gonna paint the plenum whilst its off, but is there any kind of cleaner i can put through it to make sure that once i've got rid of the remains of the Map Sensor its all clean?

clio 172
Wouldnt running it with the air temp unplugged put it in limp mode?? Unless of course the 50+ HP resistor is bridging the connector?

ph1 track weapon
Doesn't seem to be in lmp mode no. As far as I know it hasn't been connected since I bought it, but will be having a look in the light tomorrow

Ed

Da

Less
Hmmm, wondering if the MAP could be the cause of my issues as the symptoms you describe sound like mine.

Would unplugging the MAP have any effect?

Da

Less
Thanks, might try replacing mine.

Did you speak to Josh RE: a replacement and does he have them in stock?

Does anyone know - are they 1*2 specific?

ph1 track weapon
josh should be sending me one first thing tuesday so yes as far as i know he has them in stock.

just make sure you dont break it when removing it!

ph1 track weapon
Should the new map sensor just be plug and play? or am i gonna require a new map put on?

ed

Da

Less
A MAP sensor will be just plug and play, I've swapped mine around without issue.

How do you mean "require a new map put on"?

ph1 track weapon
as in being a 'MAP' sensor it has something to do with the engine mapping on a car, and therefore 'requiring a new one' would mean does the original engine map need to be reloaded.

but your first answer confirmed what i though, so all is well

Da

Less
MAP is an abbreviation for Manifold Absolute Pressure, the MAP sensor senses the air pressure difference between what's inside the plenum and what's outside in the engine bay.

ph1 track weapon
managed to get one from the kind people at JMS for the sum total of a fiver posted! good times!

"Navy" N17 TWO
When you take these things in/out, is there something you can put on the rubber O-ring to lube/protect it from sticking?

When the AA guy fixed my recent issue he sprayed something on it as the O-ring looked old and dried up.
No idea what it was though :S