ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Making a Custom Exhaust

Ph 2 172 Track Car
Hi All,
Cant decide on an after market exhaust for the car, so.....................
I'm going to make one (with help from an uncle who made a custom titanium one for his kitcar - including manifold!), it will be de-catted, with just a re-packable backbox to suit track noise limits.

Has anyone else done this? thinking of going for 2"/2.5" stainless throughout.
Any help/advice welcome............

Clio 182
I've been looking into doing this on my 182 as I have a cherry bomb end silencer to use up. I'm leaning towards buying a pre-made cat to rear axle section from ebay and then just making the piece from the back axle to the cherry bomb.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
lol at cherry bomb, have I gone back in time to the late 80's early 90's?

Personally i'd say 2", maybe 2.25", 2.5" will be overkill. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust on my S40 at somepoint, and that's only likely to be 2.5" and that's for something turbocharged and 300+ bhp.

Ph 2 172 Track Car
Oreca's system and the KTR ones use 2.5" tubing, was thinking along the lines of something like this
oreca-172-group-n-55.jpg

Only difference will be that the backbox will be riveted so they can be drilled out and it re-packed

Ph 2 172 Track Car
Nice one @M.C..
Anyone have a pattern for one? Or am I making it up as I go along?
The plan at the moment is to get the car up this weekend take some measurements and order the tube and bends! Might even do a build thread when it happens....................

Ph 2 172 Track Car
TIG yes, and thinking of sleeving the tubes, welding lugs on and then using exhaust springs to pull them together.
Thats how my uncle did it on his system. Seals really well and less weight etc...........
I'll grab some pics over the weekend, easier than trying to explain it:yum:

Ph 2 172 Track Car
You're right dude. Gonna use a specially made mandrel and fly press to expand the pipe to make perfectly formed slip joints. Should be far more accurate than a normal pipe expander.

Ph 2 172 Track Car
So if the down pipe is 2.5" how is a 2.5" system excessive? Surely all it will do is aid in flow....... As long as the back pressure is ok.............